Best 9mm Handguns website?

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer, Dave Brown

User avatar
FedCO
Poobah Overlord
Posts: 2860
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Ontario,Canada

Best 9mm Handguns website?

Postby FedCO » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:07 pm

http://www.best9mm.com/

Anyone ever check this site out and what do you think of their top 10 etc.

Grassynarrows
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah
Posts: 5372
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:16 pm
Location: Lake of the Woods area

Re: Best 9mm Handguns website?

Postby Grassynarrows » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:22 pm

I did and I dont agree with their top 10.
my top 10

Sig2022 9mm
Glock 17 9mm gen 4
M&P 9mm
Beretta 92
CZ
all the other stuff in whatever order.
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

User avatar
Dave Brown
Site Admin
Posts: 3846
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2000 1:01 am
Location: Winnipeg, MB

Re: Best 9mm Handguns website?

Postby Dave Brown » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:51 pm

Understand where they are coming from. They appeal to the "armed American" who wants to buy something cheap, but good. Sadly, they don't know what "good" is and they rely on websites and magazine writers to tell them what is good, when in reality, all they are telling them is what is new on the market and what is heavily advertised.

Heavily advertised does NOT make a pistol "good." The average consumer isn't going to shoot them much, if at all, and don't relate quality to price. Due to the Walmart nation we have become, no one can discriminate quality any more.

Plus, there is no money in advertising good solid pistols that have been on the market for years. All the advertising dollars in the American gun mags go toward the newest and latest.

CZs have always had a certain mystique about them because they were widely praised by certain very old and vastly outdated gun writers for many years before Americans could get them. (At the time, Czechoslovakia was a communist country.) In the 1980's, crazy Americans were paying $4000 and up for illegally imported CZ pistols.

Here in Canada, we looked at the U.S. CZ craze with some amusement because to us it was just another cheap pistol made in a third-world country and covered in paint instead of bluing or parkerizing. We paid $299 for ours.

While CZ quality has climbed and well-established manufacturers in third-world countries now do a good job, they are still made in third-world countries. I may like them and even own one but I would never put a third-world pistol on the top of my list.

Beretta has suffered from serious quality-control and customer service problems in the past few years, and no matter how good they look or feel, I would NEVER buy a pistol that has such serious quality-control and parts issues that CBSA simply gives every officer a new pistol every three years instead of servicing them regularly like every other agency on the planet.

Ruger is a fine price-point handgun. It provides good value for the money. (The Ruger Mark II bull barrel is still the absolutely BEST .22 handgun on the market at almost ANY price.)

Some people want value guns. Some people want good cheap guns. I don't. A Ruger will never be on my list. I still remember the Ruger P-85 pistol who's only advantages were the stainless steel finish resisted lakewater corrosion; the trigger guard was large enough to get your boat rope through; and all the sharp edges were ideal for digging in to the lake bottom.

MY list consists of the firearms I KNOW work and ones I have conducted extensive head-to-head testing on, so that I can compare directly the feel, quality and accuracy of the pistol.

As far as police-issue semi-automatics, it's a short list but it consists of the ones that are consistently high quality; that are widely liked by officers who are issued them, and that have a solid TRACK RECORD as a police sidearm. It's a short list:

#1 (tie) - Glock 17, Sigarms
#3 - S&W M&P

There is no #4.

User avatar
FedCO
Poobah Overlord
Posts: 2860
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Ontario,Canada

Re: Best 9mm Handguns website?

Postby FedCO » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:03 pm

Dave Brown wrote:Understand where they are coming from. They appeal to the "armed American" who wants to buy something cheap, but good. Sadly, they don't know what "good" is and they rely on websites and magazine writers to tell them what is good, when in reality, all they are telling them is what is new on the market and what is heavily advertised.

Heavily advertised does NOT make a pistol "good." The average consumer isn't going to shoot them much, if at all, and don't relate quality to price. Due to the Walmart nation we have become, no one can discriminate quality any more.

Plus, there is no money in advertising good solid pistols that have been on the market for years. All the advertising dollars in the American gun mags go toward the newest and latest.

CZs have always had a certain mystique about them because they were widely praised by certain very old and vastly outdated gun writers for many years before Americans could get them. (At the time, Czechoslovakia was a communist country.) In the 1980's, crazy Americans were paying $4000 and up for illegally imported CZ pistols.

Here in Canada, we looked at the U.S. CZ craze with some amusement because to us it was just another cheap pistol made in a third-world country and covered in paint instead of bluing or parkerizing. We paid $299 for ours.

While CZ quality has climbed and well-established manufacturers in third-world countries now do a good job, they are still made in third-world countries. I may like them and even own one but I would never put a third-world pistol on the top of my list.

Beretta has suffered from serious quality-control and customer service problems in the past few years, and no matter how good they look or feel, I would NEVER buy a pistol that has such serious quality-control and parts issues that CBSA simply gives every officer a new pistol every three years instead of servicing them regularly like every other agency on the planet.

Ruger is a fine price-point handgun. It provides good value for the money. (The Ruger Mark II bull barrel is still the absolutely BEST .22 handgun on the market at almost ANY price.)

Some people want value guns. Some people want good cheap guns. I don't. A Ruger will never be on my list. I still remember the Ruger P-85 pistol who's only advantages were the stainless steel finish resisted lakewater corrosion; the trigger guard was large enough to get your boat rope through; and all the sharp edges were ideal for digging in to the lake bottom.

MY list consists of the firearms I KNOW work and ones I have conducted extensive head-to-head testing on, so that I can compare directly the feel, quality and accuracy of the pistol.

As far as police-issue semi-automatics, it's a short list but it consists of the ones that are consistently high quality; that are widely liked by officers who are issued them, and that have a solid TRACK RECORD as a police sidearm. It's a short list:

#1 (tie) - Glock 17, Sigarms
#3 - S&W M&P

There is no #4.
I am not a fan of MP Sights. Pretty bulky. I tested a Steyr M9A1 and felt good. What is your take on Steyr Dave??

User avatar
Dave Brown
Site Admin
Posts: 3846
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2000 1:01 am
Location: Winnipeg, MB

Re: Best 9mm Handguns website?

Postby Dave Brown » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:16 pm

I have no experience with recent Steyr so I can't say. I will leave it to others who will have an opinion.

User avatar
Bald Man
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah
Posts: 6258
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:12 am

Re: Best 9mm Handguns website?

Postby Bald Man » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:22 pm

I held a Steyr compact at the Tampa gun show, felt very nice in the hand. those triangle sights look interesting too

User avatar
FedCO
Poobah Overlord
Posts: 2860
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Ontario,Canada

Re: Best 9mm Handguns website?

Postby FedCO » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:51 pm

Bald Man wrote:I held a Steyr compact at the Tampa gun show, felt very nice in the hand. those triangle sights look interesting too
Ya i know of some officers who shot one recently and those trap sights draw you in and i hear follow up shots are easier on that sight picture.

lndshark
Seasoned Member
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:38 pm
Location: PNW-USA

Re: Best 9mm Handguns website?

Postby lndshark » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:32 pm

I don't think they are too off base on some of their choices. You have to remember that this is gun-enthusiast centered and not law enforcement. As Dave pointed out, this article appeals to Americans who'd love to have one of each of the pistols on the list, not necessarily for self-defense or as a fighting handgun.

That being said, the only pistols on that list I would consider duty-worthy, or belonging in lndshark's gun safe, would be the G17, S&W M&P and the Springfield XDm. I'm hardly a fan of the polymer offerings from Sigarms and the rest, well, I like Dave's explanation of the "exotic" and mysterious CZ-variants and since I have nothing nice to say about the others, I'll leave it at that.

I'd be ALL OVER carrying a G17 as a work gun (or my G21SF as I've stated far too many times on this forum). I'd even be down with the M&P9. The S/A, well, I'm still not a huge fan of my XD40, but I'd sure as hell take it over the Baby Eagle, Taurus or the (or any) Ruger (semi-auto).

But, I'm sure a large police department could get a killer deal on some Hi-Points!

Image

http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/handgun ... s_9mm.html

(bet you folks haven't seen many of these!) :mrgreen:

User avatar
FedCO
Poobah Overlord
Posts: 2860
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Ontario,Canada

Re: Best 9mm Handguns website?

Postby FedCO » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:41 pm

lndshark wrote:I don't think they are too off base on some of their choices. You have to remember that this is gun-enthusiast centered and not law enforcement. As Dave pointed out, this article appeals to Americans who'd love to have one of each of the pistols on the list, not necessarily for self-defense or as a fighting handgun.

That being said, the only pistols on that list I would consider duty-worthy, or belonging in lndshark's gun safe, would be the G17, S&W M&P and the Springfield XDm. I'm hardly a fan of the polymer offerings from Sigarms and the rest, well, I like Dave's explanation of the "exotic" and mysterious CZ-variants and since I have nothing nice to say about the others, I'll leave it at that.

I'd be ALL OVER carrying a G17 as a work gun (or my G21SF as I've stated far too many times on this forum). I'd even be down with the M&P9. The S/A, well, I'm still not a huge fan of my XD40, but I'd sure as hell take it over the Baby Eagle, Taurus or the (or any) Ruger (semi-auto).

But, I'm sure a large police department could get a killer deal on some Hi-Points!

Image

http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/handgun ... s_9mm.html

(bet you folks haven't seen many of these!) :mrgreen:
Which sights do you prefer Glocks or SW MP

lndshark
Seasoned Member
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:38 pm
Location: PNW-USA

Re: Best 9mm Handguns website?

Postby lndshark » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:26 pm

As far as stock sights?

I prefer the stock sights on the M&P to the Glock, however, my personal G21SF has Heinie Straight 8's and the M&P's I have experience with have all had Trijicon's...

User avatar
Dave Brown
Site Admin
Posts: 3846
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2000 1:01 am
Location: Winnipeg, MB

Re: Best 9mm Handguns website?

Postby Dave Brown » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:30 am

Well, if you want to open up the discussion to include my beloved .45 Auto cartridge, there are a LOT of choices.

My custom Glock 21 has a Bo-Mar barrel and the plain black classic Heinie sights that give me the perfect, square, black sight picture that enhances accuracy.

I would also love to get a 21SF, but I know this was a bit of a stop-gap model for Glock until they can come out with their Gen IV Model 21, which was finally announced at this years SHOT show.

The Model 21 only has one slight downside, that I won't get in to but it affects high-volume target shooters.

Sigarms makes a great .45, and if you open it to 1911 pistols, you could literally write a book on which is the best variant.

User avatar
FedCO
Poobah Overlord
Posts: 2860
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Ontario,Canada

Re: Best 9mm Handguns website?

Postby FedCO » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:55 am

Dave Brown wrote:Well, if you want to open up the discussion to include my beloved .45 Auto cartridge, there are a LOT of choices.

My custom Glock 21 has a Bo-Mar barrel and the plain black classic Heinie sights that give me the perfect, square, black sight picture that enhances accuracy.

I would also love to get a 21SF, but I know this was a bit of a stop-gap model for Glock until they can come out with their Gen IV Model 21, which was finally announced at this years SHOT show.

The Model 21 only has one slight downside, that I won't get in to but it affects high-volume target shooters.

Sigarms makes a great .45, and if you open it to 1911 pistols, you could literally write a book on which is the best variant.
I like 9mm for its low recoil and as it goes pretty cheap to shoot. I am trying to narrow down my choices for a 9mm hand gun and since my employer shoots 9mm i figure it should be used as well for practice. I also was looking at a .40 SW but not sure yet. Any incite is always welcomed.

User avatar
Dave Brown
Site Admin
Posts: 3846
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2000 1:01 am
Location: Winnipeg, MB

Re: Best 9mm Handguns website?

Postby Dave Brown » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:05 am

Stick with 9mm. It is cheaper and more fun to shoot.

Find a handgun that feels good in your hand at the range and looks good to your eye while sitting on a shelf in your gun vault. Regardless of what you are issued, trigger time is trigger time. It is reinforcing the correct skills that are important.

User avatar
Bald Man
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah
Posts: 6258
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:12 am

Re: Best 9mm Handguns website?

Postby Bald Man » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:49 am

Grassynarrows wrote:I did and I dont agree with their top 10.
my top 10

Sig2022 9mm
Glock 17 9mm gen 4
M&P 9mm
Beretta 92
CZ
all the other stuff in whatever order.
I just went to the Tampa gun show, so I got to handle a lot of different pistols. I really liked how the Sig SP2022 felt in my hand. It's a sweet pistol. It felt better than the P229

lndshark
Seasoned Member
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:38 pm
Location: PNW-USA

Re: Best 9mm Handguns website?

Postby lndshark » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:18 pm

Sounds like a nice target pistol, Dave.

I'm a HUGE fan of 9mm, and I have no qualms about using it as a professional defensive cartridge. That being said, I do also love the .45ACP cartridge, and given the choice, I'd be torn between carrying a G17 or my G21SF on duty.

The recoil of the G21SF is not anywhere near as "snappy" as my issued .40 caliber XD. I find that my follow-up shots are much quicker with the .45 than the .40. IMHO, the recoil is much more manageable. The 9mm would be even more controllable.

I am currently in the process of drafting a policy to open up our pistol and caliber selection and I'm really pushing for 9mm to be approved (along with .45ACP). With that, I'm hoping to include Glock, SIG and S&W in our sidearm choice.

Dave, have you had a hand in this, by chance? Can you offer any advice?
Dave Brown wrote:Well, if you want to open up the discussion to include my beloved .45 Auto cartridge, there are a LOT of choices.

My custom Glock 21 has a Bo-Mar barrel and the plain black classic Heinie sights that give me the perfect, square, black sight picture that enhances accuracy.

I would also love to get a 21SF, but I know this was a bit of a stop-gap model for Glock until they can come out with their Gen IV Model 21, which was finally announced at this years SHOT show.

The Model 21 only has one slight downside, that I won't get in to but it affects high-volume target shooters.

Sigarms makes a great .45, and if you open it to 1911 pistols, you could literally write a book on which is the best variant.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest