Need help! 20/25m trigger pull.

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer, Dave Brown

Burick
Lord of the Poobahs

Re: Need help! 20/25m trigger pull.

Postby Burick » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:27 pm

MedTech wrote:
Burick wrote: proned out I can reliably put my shots into the CX at 25.
No joke... we are neither targets or a safe direction.
Haha... what smarshall said.

shootermcgavin
Rookie Member

Postby shootermcgavin » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:43 pm

Trying to shoot palm size 5 rnd groups at 25m unsupported with a duty type gun is pretty damn tough. If you can do it with the Glock, and can keep them in the 10 ring(size of a palm) on a full size PPC target at that range, you definitely have my respect. I would not beat myself up over not being able to shoot that good with a gun that is not primarily designed for superb accuracy. They were not built for that but to go bang and be reasonably accurate under all conditions which means loose tolerances and usually not the greatest accuracy. You want the best of both worlds, go to a Sig!

Burick
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Burick » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:26 pm

I used to own a Sig 226 but sold it because I didn't like the DA/SA trigger. I also didn't much like how high the bore axis is compared to the grip (quite noticeable compared to a Glock). Trigger wise I much prefer the consistency of a DAO or a Glock trigger (which Dave will tell you is technically a DAO, right Dave?).

I have a G17 at home with the NY1 trigger. I'm tossing around the idea of getting a Sig 229 with the DAK trigger to replace it, though.

shootermcgavin
Rookie Member

Postby shootermcgavin » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:46 pm

Definitely would like to try one of the DAK Sig's. Short reset is a lighter trigger than the full reset(6 vs 8lbs I believe). Sigs definitely are capable of some great accuracy. Another duty auto that can pull some very good accuracy results are the 5946 Smiths. Smith and wesson PPC 9 competition autos are based on this platform.

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:25 am

I have shot lots of DAKs and lots of Glocks with NY triggers right down to the 3 1/2 pound competition connector. (And, yes, the Glock is a DAO.)

Believe it or not, trigger pull weight has little to do with accuracy. The toughest ones folks had to master in head-to-head competition was the Browning single-action and the HK P7. Easiest was the Glock because of the trigger reset and the Sig (which, by the way, also has a similar trigger reset, but don't tell Gaston.) And I agree about the 5946, but it just wasn't the smoothness of the trigger, it was the squareness and clarity of the sights.

It is interesting that the fastest and most accurate shooters on the face of the earth always use plain, square black sights. No dots, no fiber optics, no painted front sight blades ... just plain, square and black.

shootermcgavin
Rookie Member

Postby shootermcgavin » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:04 am

Agreed. Plain, square black sights and a smooth, consistent trigger pull make shooting accurately a whole lot easier. Trying to shoot small groups at long range(25m) with a duty gun that most likely has night sights and a lawyer safe trigger system seems like a large order to fill to me. :pistols:

Striker
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Striker » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:07 am

Dave Brown wrote: ... just plain, square and black.
now if someone would only come up with a way to keep the sights a nice flat black that doesn't wear off and get shiny over time..
"I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I’ll kill you all."

portcullisguy
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby portcullisguy » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:52 pm

Ironside wrote:So I've been practicing lately with my PX4 Storm 9mm (personal firearm, not Agency) but it's the identical model "D" as my work gun.

I just can't seem to get my groupings as tight as i'd like at 25m. I thought for sure it must be me but I've always been a pretty good shot. I'll fire at your typical range target (paper is about 8 1/2" x 11") and I'm struggling to even land all 5 rounds on the paper. I'll usually hit about 3 or 4 but they're all over the place.

My last trip to the range, I went with my father-in-law and he brought his Glock Model 22 Gen 4 .40 cal that he just got. Using his pistol with a much lighter trigger pull I was able to put all 5 rounds into the target at 25 metres in a grouping about the size of the palm of my hand.

What gives!!!?

The shorter trigger pull of his gun is nice because you can get your sight picture and breathing down and a gentle squeeze fires off a round almost immediately... The PX4 trigger is like waiting for the Yoddly guy on the Price Is Right to scale the mountain before it fires!!!

How should I work on my trigger pull? Is it best to squeeze slowly and try my best to maintain sight picture even though that tires out your finger quicker? Should I work on being able to squeeze the trigger fast but smooth?

Any tips?
Pro tip. Leave your Beretta in the gun locker and carry an S&W M&P 40. You may get your a-hole reamed and disciplined but at least you'd be carrying a better firearm.
portcullisguy
"You work your side of the street, I'll work mine."

Icey
Grand Poobah

Postby Icey » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:54 pm

Grassynarrows
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Grassynarrows » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:18 pm

Buy a 226 sig and carry it
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.