Brinks carrying 2 different pistols

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.
User avatar
Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs
Posts: 1246
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:12 am

Brinks carrying 2 different pistols

Postby Bald Man » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:41 pm

I was heading to Niagara Falls on the 401 the other day. We stopped at a truck stop for a break. I noticed two out of town Brinks trucks (the longer trucks). I saw 2 guards with S&W M&P's and 3 guards with S&W 4046 ( I could tell they were 4046's with the straighter back strap).

Why are Brinks carrying 2 different pistols? Did they buy some police services old pistols such as Peel's to start with and are now switching over to the M&P's?

Just curious.

echo1
Grand Poobah
Posts: 551
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:49 am
Contact:

Re: Brinks carrying 2 different pistols

Postby echo1 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:48 pm

From what I recall reading about this sometime ago, they are transitioning to the S&W gradually.

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord
Posts: 2696
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:16 pm
Location: Lake of the Woods area
Contact:

Re: Brinks carrying 2 different pistols

Postby Grassynarrows » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:04 pm

now that S&W got their export permits back they can sell in canada again.
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

User avatar
Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs
Posts: 1246
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:12 am

Re: Brinks carrying 2 different pistols

Postby Bald Man » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:14 pm

echo1 wrote:From what I recall reading about this sometime ago, they are transitioning to the S&W gradually.


BUt they only switched to pistols like 2 years ago, at least in my area.

A.T.R.
King Poobah
Posts: 2291
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:20 am
Contact:

Re: Brinks carrying 2 different pistols

Postby A.T.R. » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:56 am

When I was there we carried two different .38's.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

User avatar
Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs
Posts: 1246
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:12 am

Re: Brinks carrying 2 different pistols

Postby Bald Man » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:04 pm

A.T.R. wrote:When I was there we carried two different .38's.



You guys always had nice stainless S&W 64's with bobbed hammers. While we (Loomis) had the regular model 10's some with more rust than others. :lol:

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord
Posts: 2696
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:16 pm
Location: Lake of the Woods area
Contact:

Re: Brinks carrying 2 different pistols

Postby Grassynarrows » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:03 pm

I thought all the armored car companies were getting glocks
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

User avatar
Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs
Posts: 1246
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:12 am

Re: Brinks carrying 2 different pistols

Postby Bald Man » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:34 pm

Grassynarrows wrote:I thought all the armored car companies were getting glocks



Brinks and GS4 or what ever they call them have M&P .40S&W's in my area.

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord
Posts: 2696
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:16 pm
Location: Lake of the Woods area
Contact:

Re: Brinks carrying 2 different pistols

Postby Grassynarrows » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:32 pm

anyone have any experience with the m&P???
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

User avatar
Sly
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:41 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Brinks carrying 2 different pistols

Postby Sly » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:59 am

Grassynarrows wrote:anyone have any experience with the m&P???

I don't own one but I have put through a couple hundred rounds from my friends personal M&P .40 and I have been pretty happy with how it feels, shoots etc. My friend has never had any issues with it and buying parts for it is pretty cheap. He has since modified his trigger pull to 2.5 pounds, new sights and extra magazines are fairly inexpensive to buy compared to other manufacturers out there.

I'm sure you could find someone at your local range who is shooting an M&P and ask to fire off a few rounds with it. There are a couple of IPSC shooters using the M&P at my range.

As for brinks, I see them every day at work when they come pick up/drop off money and have only seen them with .38s. Really, if they are ever in the situation that requires them to draw there gun they should really stop carrying the money bags on there pistol side...half of them use there strong hand to carry the bags which is also there drawing hand.

User avatar
Dave Brown
Site Admin
Posts: 1940
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2000 1:01 am
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

Re: Brinks carrying 2 different pistols

Postby Dave Brown » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:02 am

Sly wrote:My friend has never had any issues with it and buying parts for it is pretty cheap. He has since modified his trigger pull to 2.5 pounds

Wow, dangerous AND irresponsible. Quite a combination your friend has! Or were these modifications performed by a S&W armorer according to factory guidelines?

Sly wrote:As for brinks, I see them every day at work when they come pick up/drop off money and have only seen them with .38s. Really, if they are ever in the situation that requires them to draw there gun they should really stop carrying the money bags on there pistol side...half of them use there strong hand to carry the bags which is also there drawing hand.

Why?

The sidearms are solely for the protection of LIFE. If they need to draw their sidearm, they drop the money bag, no matter what hand it happens to be in.

User avatar
Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs
Posts: 1246
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:12 am

Re: Brinks carrying 2 different pistols

Postby Bald Man » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:40 am

Dave Brown wrote:
Sly wrote:My friend has never had any issues with it and buying parts for it is pretty cheap. He has since modified his trigger pull to 2.5 pounds

Wow, dangerous AND irresponsible. Quite a combination your friend has! Or were these modifications performed by a S&W armorer according to factory guidelines?

Sly wrote:As for brinks, I see them every day at work when they come pick up/drop off money and have only seen them with .38s. Really, if they are ever in the situation that requires them to draw there gun they should really stop carrying the money bags on there pistol side...half of them use there strong hand to carry the bags which is also there drawing hand.

Why?

The sidearms are solely for the protection of LIFE. If they need to draw their sidearm, they drop the money bag, no matter what hand it happens to be in.


When I worked for Loomis we were told to carry the carryall bag in our weak hand. But it's probably not a big deal either way.

A.T.R.
King Poobah
Posts: 2291
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:20 am
Contact:

Re: Brinks carrying 2 different pistols

Postby A.T.R. » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:55 pm

Same.

But part of training was dropping the bags and getting into a firing position.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

User avatar
Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs
Posts: 1246
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:12 am

Re: Brinks carrying 2 different pistols

Postby Bald Man » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:52 pm

A.T.R. wrote:Same.

But part of training was dropping the bags and getting into a firing position.


right

MS
Regular Member
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:01 am
Contact:

Re: Brinks carrying 2 different pistols

Postby MS » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:56 am

Dave Brown wrote:
Sly wrote:My friend has never had any issues with it and buying parts for it is pretty cheap. He has since modified his trigger pull to 2.5 pounds

Wow, dangerous AND irresponsible. Quite a combination your friend has! Or were these modifications performed by a S&W armorer according to factory guidelines?

Sly wrote:As for brinks, I see them every day at work when they come pick up/drop off money and have only seen them with .38s. Really, if they are ever in the situation that requires them to draw there gun they should really stop carrying the money bags on there pistol side...half of them use there strong hand to carry the bags which is also there drawing hand.

Why?

The sidearms are solely for the protection of LIFE. If they need to draw their sidearm, they drop the money bag, no matter what hand it happens to be in.



Modifying a trigger pull on a personally owned firearm that is restricted solely to range use is dangerous and irresponsible is it. Personally I think not.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests