Arming Peace Officers

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer, Dave Brown

Haweater
King Poobah

Re: Arming Peace Officers

Postby Haweater » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:11 pm

ERnurse2PC wrote:
mcdonaja wrote:Well OPP are the "first" police, anything after that is "secondary". ;)
LOL - thats cute :thumbsup: as for primary and secondary I am going to go out on a limb and guess - similar to the two tier health system perhaps? Primary police are your regular PC's - and then secondary police are everyone else who hold the status peace officer while on duty - but when off duty they are civilians? I am just pulling that out of my ass tho - so forgive me if I am wrong :D
I think it is a well meant poke at the city coppers.

ERnurse2PC
Grand Poobah

Postby ERnurse2PC » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:04 pm

LOL - gotcha :)
‎"You often meet your destiny on the road you've taken to avoid it."

THE ONE
Seasoned Member

Postby THE ONE » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:48 am

No 20 Year Medal wrote:
T.M.DIESEL wrote:
mcdonaja wrote:I could have sworn I saw an Armed "Go Transit" copper...
Negative on that one for sure.
Definitely negative on that one! If anything, they're somewhat regressing. As a patch nerd I have it on good authority they're changing their shirts to grey with shoulder flashes that say "Transit Safety", and their cars are already being rebranded to that label. I can't see them getting chunks.
The new uniform for GO Transit Safety Officer...the new rebranding!!!

GO’s Transit Safety Officers are responsible for promoting passenger and railway safety, conducting fare inspections and protecting our passengers, employees, assets, and facilities. Whether you’re looking for directions or a lost travel bag, our Transit Safety Officers are there to make your trip as convenient and safe as possible.

This June, we proudly introduce a fresh new look for our Transit Safety Officers. The new uniform design is intended to increase officer visibility and profile at our facilities and on our trains and buses – making it easier for passengers to find the assistance they need. The new uniform reflects GO Transit’s commitment to customer service, passenger safety and easy access to friendly assistance.
"One hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the most skillful. Subduing the other's military without battle is the most skillful." - Sun Tzu

“You can beat the rap but you can’t beat the ride.”

Chuk750
Seasoned Member

Postby Chuk750 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:19 am

Hmm, looks like they are following Alberta's CPO uniform style.
The best victory is when the opponent surrenders of its own accord before there are any actual hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.
Sun-tzu

CPO12136

Postby CPO12136 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:25 pm

It's exactly like the Alberta CPO uniform. Now you too can look like an EMS Bus Driver!

ERnurse2PC
Grand Poobah

Postby ERnurse2PC » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:54 am

He's got some nice shiny boots there! Wonder if I can hire him to do mine when I go to Orillia LOL
‎"You often meet your destiny on the road you've taken to avoid it."

Delley
Veteran Member

Postby Delley » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:33 pm

CPO12136 wrote:Don't expect anything like this to happen in Alberta for the next 3-5 years. What with the expansion of Peace Officer's into the investigation and arrest authority for non-urgent community calls (theft under and mischief under), there may be more of a reason for the arming of Peace Officers, but don't expect it.

This has been hammered on by Alberta's Community Peace Officers for the longest time. Everyone that works as a CPO in Alberta needs to learn how to professionally and effectively do the job they were hired to do and stop worrying about having more weapons on their belts.

My 2 Cents....for what its worth. (and I have been a CPO 1 for the last 3 years, i.e. I do traffic stops)

The way I see it. The Alberta Govt is slowly offering more authorities to CPO services. I believe this is happening because The majority of services are showing that they are a professional, well trained and regulated service. I believe it is only going to happen two ways here in Alberta. We either get the authorization to carry on duty, or we will loose the authorities that make us what we are today. I think the country is watching to see what Alberta does. Its obvious that other Provinces are using our model. IE... BC training 13 Sheriffs for traffic and the Toronto Transit uniform. I am a huge proponent to be authorized to carry a firearm while in the lawful execution of my duties and will fight for it. The only comment I question is worrying about having more weapons. A side arm could save your life one day, and if that day comes and you don't have one. Well. “Remember, there is no coming back from the dead. If you understand
that, you will come home at night." Chief Jeff Chudwin of Olympia Fields (Ill.) PD.

My two cents.

IMthePheonix
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby IMthePheonix » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:26 pm

I don't disagree with you Delley, but the issue is always going to being hiring and training standards. I know a few CPO's, all retired PO's but 1, and I wouldn't trust him with a water gun.
Strippers have $1's, Waitresses have $5's, Drug dealers have $20s. Smurfette_76 on O.com

Dave Jenkins
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:29 pm

Delley wrote: I think the country is watching to see what Alberta does. Its obvious that other Provinces are using our model. IE... BC training 13 Sheriffs for traffic and the Toronto Transit uniform.
I think you mean GO Transit which is a Provincial concern and their appointments are sponsored by the Ontario Provincial Police. That double Provincial hands on angle means they are a little more susceptible to the wants of certain groups such as the OACP who are determined to see special constables in any type of uniform that does not look like the current police standard look.

The Alberta Peace Officer Act is good legislation and I'd still like to see something like that here or revisions to the Police Services Act. What I would not want to see here in Ontario is special constables turned into what Alberta has made of their Community Peace Officers. For transit, universities and housing it would be a huge step backwards.

Keep in mind that in Ontario the term Peace Officer relates to federal statute enforcement and has been removed as a term relating to anything provincial. Transit, university, housing and police special constables in Ontario are peace officers in the context of their authority to enforce the Criminal Code and the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act in their entirety. They hold police officer status for various provincial Acts such as the Trespass to Property Act, Liquor License Act, Mental Health Act in in some cases a few other Acts (i.e. Highway Traffic Act, Safe Streets Act....). So in their respective environments such as a university campus they can virtually deal with most anything that comes along.

The previous paragraph is not to suggest that the likes of transit, university or housing specials are a substitute for municipal police or that they don't defer to them in more serious matters but they can and do deal with a wide variety of things. They appear to have a much wider scope of authorities than the CPO of Alberta. From what I am reading Alberta is slowly bringing some Community Peace Officers up to that level. The Sheriffs not withstanding in all of this. If I'm not mistaken the old special constable system of Alberta allowed for more wider authority in general.
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
-Mahatma Gandhi

Sumo_CPO
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Sumo_CPO » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:33 pm

IMthePheonix wrote:I don't disagree with you Delley, but the issue is always going to being hiring and training standards. I know a few CPO's, all retired PO's but 1, and I wouldn't trust him with a water gun.
I know a crapload of CPO's (funny how that works, hmm?) and I barely trust some of them to tie their own shoes.
Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and f**k the prom queen.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Cogito, ergo armatum sum

Bald Man
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Bald Man » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:19 pm

Dave Jenkins wrote:
Delley wrote: I think the country is watching to see what Alberta does. Its obvious that other Provinces are using our model. IE... BC training 13 Sheriffs for traffic and the Toronto Transit uniform.
I think you mean GO Transit which is a Provincial concern and their appointments are sponsored by the Ontario Provincial Police. That double Provincial hands on angle means they are a little more susceptible to the wants of certain groups such as the OACP who are determined to see special constables in any type of uniform that does not look like the current police standard look.

The Alberta Peace Officer Act is good legislation and I'd still like to see something like that here or revisions to the Police Services Act. What I would not want to see here in Ontario is special constables turned into what Alberta has made of their Community Peace Officers. For transit, universities and housing it would be a huge step backwards.

Keep in mind that in Ontario the term Peace Officer relates to federal statute enforcement and has been removed as a term relating to anything provincial.
Transit, university, housing and police special constables in Ontario are peace officers in the context of their authority to enforce the Criminal Code and the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act in their entirety. They hold police officer status for various provincial Acts such as the Trespass to Property Act, Liquor License Act, Mental Health Act in in some cases a few other Acts (i.e. Highway Traffic Act, Safe Streets Act....). So in their respective environments such as a university campus they can virtually deal with most anything that comes along.

The previous paragraph is not to suggest that the likes of transit, university or housing specials are a substitute for municipal police or that they don't defer to them in more serious matters but they can and do deal with a wide variety of things. They appear to have a much wider scope of authorities than the CPO of Alberta. From what I am reading Alberta is slowly bringing some Community Peace Officers up to that level. The Sheriffs not withstanding in all of this. If I'm not mistaken the old special constable system of Alberta allowed for more wider authority in general.

There are 2 exceptions I am aware of,

Public Work's Protection Act and the Dog Owners Liability Act. There could be other acts.

as you know the act only refers to enforcement action by peace officers. Nothing from preventing a Correctional Officer from enforcing it at the jail for purposes of security because the jail is a provincial buidling. AlthoughI'm willing to bet most CO's have never heard of this act as many cops never have. I don't believe a special constable or peace officer has to have any confered powers to enforce this act as long as they are in the execution of their duties. Having said that, they are now adding this to list of provicincial powers on our appointments along with the Courts of Justice Act. In fact, the wording has changed once again on our appointments which will give supervisors the ability to assign us to any duties, within reason of course. I read one of the new guys appointments and it states - Special constable status required to perform functions within a cellblock setting and accused prisoner management duties. Other duties as assigned.

Status of a peace officers with no restrictions and are not subject to a check list of Federal Statutes.

Powers of a police officer for the LLA, MHA and TPA. We are no longer subject to specified sections of these act.

Pubic Work's Protection Act and Court of Justce Act in the "Misc statutes" section.

Delley
Veteran Member

Postby Delley » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:58 am

Thanks Dave, I stand corrected on those points. I do agree that the Peace Officer Act is good legislation. I agree that the Old Special Constable program here in Alberta had alot more authorities, but the problem was that there was no over site as a whole. Which from what I can gather, made it very difficult to regulate the program. So I believe, they overhauled the program to address those concerns. For the most part it looks like its working. Now that there is a good foundation to work from, they are slowly adding more authorities to certain CPO's. Mainly CPO 1's with Moving traffic authority or in a specialized field like Transit. Whereas CPO's without and CPO 2's will not have those enhanced authorities. I should note though I still think that Alberta is in its infancy with this program. They could pull the plug very easily on it as well. I suspect that is were the Traffic Sheriffs will end up. They will be wearing the yellow stripe or back to transporting prisoners with in the next 2 to 3 years if the province doesn't start throwing more cash into that program. IMHO.

Sumo and Pheonix, I agree. There will have to be some enhanced training and testing before they start handing out sidearms to CPO's, IE... Psychological testing, fitness testing, Then your actual firearm training and of course qualifying at the range, plus lots and lots of Policy. But it can be done. And those who don't make it loose the right to enforce those authorities that require a sidearm, like Moving violations. I have been told anywhere from 2 to 5 years before we see any thing. But I believe it will come. Like any other service, It will hopefully weed out any person that should not be armed.

RookieRailCop

Postby RookieRailCop » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:24 pm

mcdonaja wrote:tks...must've been a large black pouch or something...perhaps a ticket scanner would be more like it. Didn't have my pop bottle glasses on so my eagle like vision was a bit flawed as well.
They have portable electornic Parking ticket printers thats most likely what you saw
I arrested two kids yesterday, one was drinking battery acid, the other was eating fireworks. I charged one and let the other one off

Tactical
Sage Member

Postby Tactical » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:42 pm

A couple very recent articles from the Grande Prairie Herald-Tribune...

http://www.dailyheraldtribune.com/Artic ... ?e=3034036

http://www.dailyheraldtribune.com/Artic ... ?e=3038811

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:20 pm

I think RJB typed a few comments at the bottom of the articles! :mrgreen:

CO