Arming Peace Officers

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.
Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Re: Arming Peace Officers

Postby Grassynarrows » Sat May 29, 2010 11:30 pm

manitoba police agencies such as rm of springfield,winnipeg beach,and i forget the other ones, but they are trained armed police. I think the have a slightly different mandate.
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

T.M.DIESEL
King Poobah

Postby T.M.DIESEL » Sun May 30, 2010 12:28 am

Tiered police, Alberta Community Safety Peace Officers doing the traffic enforcement or the aprehension unit.
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." -- Unknown

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to
take everything you have.--Thomas Jefferson

Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Sun May 30, 2010 2:22 am

Grassynarrows wrote:manitoba police agencies such as rm of springfield,winnipeg beach,and i forget the other ones, but they are trained armed police. I think the have a slightly different mandate.

http://www.rmofspringfield.ca/htmlfiles ... safety.asp
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
-Mahatma Gandhi

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Sun May 30, 2010 2:44 am

Springfield Police Service

576 Balsam Crescent, Oakbank

Phone: 444-4308
Email: rmsps@rmofspringfield.ca

Chief Constable - Richard Myall
Administrative Assistant - Rose Sterritt

Mission Statement

To work progressively at ensuring the residents of the Rural Municipality of Springfield are provided with the best of protection, emergency services, disaster management, and emergency preparedness education in regards to public safety.

Vision Statement

Being that Springfield was the first rural municipality to become incorporated in 1873, this department’s goal is to work towards creating the best public safety program in Manitoba.

History of the RM of Springfield Police Services

Since the incorporation of the Rural Municipality of Springfield in 1873, shortly thereafter, beginning in 1876 a number of people have been employed as municipal police constables under the auspice of the RM of Springfield Police Department. Although the RCMP have been the primary policing agency under a provincial/federal policing contract, the needs of a growing population created a void until 1999 when it became apparent, because of the limited policing resources (See Police) and mandatory emergency measures mandates (See Emergency Preparedness) this department would have to diversify and collaborate with other agencies to meet the public’s demands for service and protection.

Chief Constable Job Description and Duties

Emergency Coordinator, Head of Protective Services, Municipal Police Constable/Chief Constable and other special projects that the municipality may face relating to public safety in general. Each are briefly described below:

Emergency Coordinator

Under the Emergency Measures Act of Manitoba every municipality must appoint an Emergency Coordinator and municipal Emergency Plans must be kept current.

As prescribed in the Springfield Emergency Plan the Emergency Coordinator at the time of a large-scale emergency or disaster response is responsible for:

•Activating the Springfield Emergency Operations Centre (EOC).
•Coordinating the emergency response (local, provincial and federal).
•Initiating the EOC Management Team.
•Keeping the Control Group informed of developments as they occur.
•Implementing the Emergency Plan in whole or in part.
•Advising the Control Group on the appointment of an Emergency Site Manager.
•Advising the Control Group on whether to declare a State of Local Emergency or not.
•Coordinating the EOC Management Team’s activities.
•Ensuring that all directives from the Control Group are carried out.
•Preparing media release information for review and information by the Control Group.
•Logging all actions and decisions.
•Requesting reports from responding agencies.
•Preparing current status and post-emergency reports.
•Critiquing and amending the Emergency Plan where required.
At the preparedness and pre-planning level the Emergency Coordinator:

•Ensures that the Springfield Emergency Plan is current.
•Ensures that disaster training is provided inter-agency to elected officials, police, fire/rescue, emergency medical services and public works.
•Provides elected officials with hazard analysis information.
•Prepares and applies for Joint Emergency Preparedness Program funding.
•Provides and promotes emergency preparedness information in the community.
•Liaises with other government and non-government agencies in planning and prevention.
Head of Police Services

Under the direction of the Chief Administrative Officer the Head of Police Services:

•Serves on the Protective Serves Committee.
•Serves on the Emergency Preparedness Committee.
•Serves as the liaison and partners with local RCMP, fire/rescue, EMS and 911 services.
•Prepares Capital and Operating budgets for municipal police, animal control, 911 services, and disaster mitigation and emergency preparedness.
•Investigates public complaints directed to municipal protective services.
•Investigates and prepares information regarding public safety issues for elected officials.
•Liaises with other government and non-government agencies in promoting public safety.
Municipal Police Constable/Chief Constable

Sworn in and for the Province of Manitoba, hired by the Rural Municipality of Springfield Council the municipal police constable:

•Acts as administrator and Chief Constable of the department.
•Enforces several provincial statutes such as the Highway Traffic Act, Petty Trespass Act, Liquor Control Act, Off Road Vehicle Act, etc., and most of the municipal by-laws.
•Enforces municipal spring weight restrictions.
•Augments and assists local RCMP services and police patrols.
•Provides security where requested by the municipality.
•Provides elected officials monthly briefings and requested reports.
•Works from a store front office as a community constable.
•Serves as municipal liaison with Citizens On Patrol Program and other Crime Prevention programs.
Other Duties

At the request of Council or the Chief Administrative Officer the Chief Constable may be tasked with special projects or be assigned other duties. Past tasks have included:

•Administered the construction of the Municipal Emergency Paging System.
•Liaise and often helps coordinate with local organizations on public events.
•Advises on security matter improvements to public service buildings.
•Liaises with Manitoba Transportation & Government Services on traffic issues.
•Liaises with Manitoba Health regarding the West Nile Virus cost-sharing program & response.

FAQ

Q: How many staff does the department have?

A: Currently, the department is a year round one-man operation with an additional seasonal compliment during the summer months.

Q: What kind of training is supplied?

A: Members have previous law enforcement experience and receive additional training and/or re-certification via the Winnipeg Police Service. They also receive emergency management training from the Manitoba Emergency Measures Organization.

Q: Whom does department answer to?

A: The Members report to the head of the department, who in-turn reports to the Chief Administrative Officer, Reeve and Council. As police constables, Members are regulated by the Manitoba Law Enforcement Services and are liable to investigation by the Manitoba Law Enforcement Review Agency
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

Madeline236
Grand Poobah

Postby Madeline236 » Sun May 30, 2010 2:02 pm

Grassynarrows wrote:manitoba police agencies such as rm of springfield,winnipeg beach,and i forget the other ones, but they are trained armed police. I think the have a slightly different mandate.

First off RCMP handles Winnipeg Beach. Secondly those police agencies you are referring to are Police Services like any other not secondary. They are the Primary Services in their areas. Often as I understand it the RCMP detachments next to them might help back them up and maybe even visa versa. I know Winkler has some sort of arrangement like this with the RCMP and with Winnipeg Police for some specialized services it might not be able to handle due to its size.

These are not secondary services in any way. They answer to the province directly and don't have any other police agency they must go through. For example when the RM of East St. Paul Police Service had its series of scandals and whatever the heck happened there it was not the RCMP or Winnipeg Police who stepped in it was the province directly and the province directly shut them down and asked the Mounties to come in.

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Sun May 30, 2010 2:16 pm

Ok i stand corrected, one of our members that was trained at Brandon Police academy and worked in manitoba for a number of years prior to coming here explained that the services i mentioned as well as victoria beach,whitehead, and cornwallis were secondary police and explained the primary and secondary police differences to me. I had no idea about that until he explained that to me. I guess he explained it improperly.

Howard
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Howard » Mon May 31, 2010 10:20 pm

basketcase wrote:Image

That's downtown Winnipeg, in front of the Booth Centre!
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. (Thomas Jefferson)

tpspastin#9
Rookie Member

Postby tpspastin#9 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:56 am

mcdonaja wrote:...this is the only apocalypse we have to fight off in Ontario come 2011. Anything after that will be a breeze!

Seriously, would anyone be shocked if McGuinty turned out to be McSatan? Look at him he already looks the part.

Haweater
Seasoned Member

Postby Haweater » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:14 pm

T.M.DIESEL wrote:In Ontario it is up to the Police Service that is the sponsor of the unit. Only ones around here that are armed is Niagara Parks Police and the Conservation Officers. I can't see the reason anymore not to arm some services, times have really changed and it is not like the old days. B.C., Alberta have armed Sheriffs or Community Officers and this tier policing seems to be gaining ground. As for Ontario, not in my lifetime I am sure.

BTW, interesting first post and I did not think you could post on this forum until you had a few under your belt.

I have no idea about the police side but Ontario MNR Conservation Officers aren't sponsered by a police service or appointed as specials. They have nothing to do with the OPP other than the pay cheques come from the same place. They are full peace officers under the CCC and their authority to be armed is from thier designation as conservation officers / fisheries officers.

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:57 pm

Haweater wrote:
T.M.DIESEL wrote:In Ontario it is up to the Police Service that is the sponsor of the unit. Only ones around here that are armed is Niagara Parks Police and the Conservation Officers. I can't see the reason anymore not to arm some services, times have really changed and it is not like the old days. B.C., Alberta have armed Sheriffs or Community Officers and this tier policing seems to be gaining ground. As for Ontario, not in my lifetime I am sure.

BTW, interesting first post and I did not think you could post on this forum until you had a few under your belt.

I have no idea about the police side but Ontario MNR Conservation Officers aren't sponsered by a police service or appointed as specials. They have nothing to do with the OPP other than the pay cheques come from the same place. They are full peace officers under the CCC and their authority to be armed is from thier designation as conservation officers / fisheries officers.

Full peace officers meaning peace officer powers to enforce fed stats? I thought it was just provincial stats for CO's? A CO's status as a peace officer, like any other peace officer such as police officers, simply exempts them from provisions under the CC and firearms act which allows governments to arm them.

dira necessitas
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby dira necessitas » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:17 pm

Springfield Police Service

FAQ

Q: How many staff does the department have?

A: Currently, the department is a year round one-man operation....

I thought that was kind of funny.
I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but let's take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Haweater
Seasoned Member

Postby Haweater » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:45 am

Bald Man wrote:
Haweater wrote:

Full peace officers meaning peace officer powers to enforce fed stats? I thought it was just provincial stats for CO's? A CO's status as a peace officer, like any other peace officer such as police officers, simply exempts them from provisions under the CC and firearms act which allows governments to arm them.

Full peace officer status under section 2 CCC. While they don't do CDSA for example they can arrest under it and would then turn the file over to the local police jurisdiction. They wouldn't enforce other fed statutes unless they're named in them or designated, acts like migratory birds, Canada Shipping Act, etc. Also it gets a little confusing as they use the Contraventions Act to allow them to issue prov pons for fed stuff.

As for the provincial stuff they actually don't have full authority there because they are conservation officers, not police officers and most provincial legislation specifies a police officer. So for example they can't do HTA (but could stop you for dangerous driving if your driving was that bad). They only recently have had the LLA and MSVA added to their authorities.

The only exception to this is inside a provincial park where the gamies as well as park wardens have full police powers.

T.M.DIESEL
King Poobah

Postby T.M.DIESEL » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:13 pm

Yes Haw. wrote that wrong, you are right, Conservation are not a sponsored group, Niagara Parks should be but now you have me thinking.
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." -- Unknown

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to
take everything you have.--Thomas Jefferson

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:36 pm

Got to love our laws that would rather see the good guys handcuffed. CO's should have full police powers for everything. In the states, a peace officer whether police, corrections, conservation etc...all have the same powers. Should be that way here for us.

ERnurse2PC
Rookie Member

Postby ERnurse2PC » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:07 pm

mcdonaja wrote:Well OPP are the "first" police, anything after that is "secondary". ;)

LOL - thats cute :thumbsup: as for primary and secondary I am going to go out on a limb and guess - similar to the two tier health system perhaps? Primary police are your regular PC's - and then secondary police are everyone else who hold the status peace officer while on duty - but when off duty they are civilians? I am just pulling that out of my ass tho - so forgive me if I am wrong :D
‎"You often meet your destiny on the road you've taken to avoid it."