Ammo Mix

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.
Bitterman
Rookie Member

Re: Ammo Mix

Postby Bitterman » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:47 pm

FredGassitt wrote:Howdy;

did it just so happen that those were the 11 rounds the guy managed to scrape together,

Probably, but who knows....

I have a couple hundred semi-jacketed holoow points in .45acp, but they're so expensive I'm afraid to use 'em. :mrgreen:
Instead I stick to good ol's FMJ or "plated" boolits in my handguns...

Pretty much all quality match grade rifle boolits are hollow point, but that's got more to do with the boolits design for accuracy...
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:36 am

Dave Brown wrote:It is not legal to import hollow-point handgun ammunition into Canada,

True, but under ITAR it is illegal to export ammunition and many other firearm related items out of the US without proper permits, licenses etc.
I think Canada Customs says I can import up to 5000 rounds, but if I were to get caught at an exit checkpoint trying to leave the US with the 5000 rounds I just picked up at Gander Mountain or Cabela's.... I'd likely be in a little bit o' hot water. :mrgreen:

That said... I have been inspected on my way out of the US and asked about the ammunition in my possession, but since they believed I had brought the ammo into the US they let me take it back... You see, it's also against the rules for me to leave ammo in the US.

I'm sure that DHS wouldn't jack up a couple hunters on their way to Canada with a couple boxes of 30.06, but the rules are there if they wanna prevent someone from taking a substantial amount of ammo or any amount out of the USA.

To the OP... I'd be interested to hear how you found the guys pistol... Was he one of these hapless travellers who didn't realize he wasn't allowed to carry his gun until he saw the signs at the border and declared it or was he silent about it and upon searching the car it was found...?
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:35 pm

IrishCanadian wrote:If we seized it, it means he didn't declare it.

So if an American traveller were to arrive at the inspection kiosk and say.. "Oh, I saw the sign about declaring firearms... I didn't realize it was a problem, but just so you know I have a pistol in my glove box.
They'd just get sent back or... ???

I'm not talking about folks who come up here to hunt or compete... Those people should have had their Canadian permits in place before crossing, but rather the people who legally own a gun for personal protection and just don't realize that such an option isn't allowed in other countries...
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.

VTach
Rookie Member

Postby VTach » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:41 pm

I can't speak for national policy straight out of the D-memos or EN manuals, but I know that at our port we hold declared firearms on a K-24 for them in our bond room until their trip is done. Obviously if they were entering to transit through to MI or someplace, that wouldn't make much sense, but for the people who are just coming into the area for a day (or a few days) it works well.

NatWood

Postby NatWood » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:50 am

Bitterman wrote:
IrishCanadian wrote:If we seized it, it means he didn't declare it.

So if an American traveller were to arrive at the inspection kiosk and say.. "Oh, I saw the sign about declaring firearms... I didn't realize it was a problem, but just so you know I have a pistol in my glove box.
They'd just get sent back or... ???

I'm not talking about folks who come up here to hunt or compete... Those people should have had their Canadian permits in place before crossing, but rather the people who legally own a gun for personal protection and just don't realize that such an option isn't allowed in other countries...

Exactly. Happens on occasion here. We put it in the Bond Room on a k24 and he picks it up on the way out.
Sometimes guys leave them with a US gunshop near the border and have a receipt. I've seen this scenario when i find gun accessories and question them about the gun they belong to.

All the Police and Fire games competitors have made arrangements to bring their guns in, I saw the list a while back. Looks to be lots of them coming.

RGW
Grand Poobah

Postby RGW » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:29 pm

FredGassitt wrote:Howdy;

we seized a prohibited handgun off a guy trying to cross into Canada, and I am intrigued by the ammo he was carrying. 11 rounds, all 9mm (it was a 9mm handgun); ten of them were hollow point, one was a regular full metal jacket, round point. They were loose in his pocket, and the firearm wasn't loaded.

So why the mix? is there some logic or theory as to perhaps putting the round point first, or did it just so happen that those were the 11 rounds the guy managed to scrape together, or is there some other explanation? In any case, the firearm is seized, and after a stay at the Queen's hotel the guy's on his way back to the US... this is just to satisfy my curiosity.

Tks

Interesting. If it had been the other way, (ten FMJ, one HP), sometimes people do that with semi-autos that don't feed HP reliably, like older 1911's or browning Hi-Powers. They'll put the one HP in the chamber and the FMJ's in the mag. That way their first shot is at least HP. That info is just from various forums/history sources on some handguns, so it must be true right? :D May the guy screwed up his instructions when he was given his crappy Hi Point to smuggle.

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:37 am

IrishCanadian wrote:Now if you see the sign about declaring firearms, are asked if you or the vehicle have any firearms, and choose not to say anything because you can't be without your Glock for your family trip to Wonderland, then you get to go to jail.

I cross the border with firearms on a regular basis... And usually let the fact surface once the BSO asks where I'd been or what the purpose of my trip to the US was. I mean if/when the BSO asks "what was the purpose of your trip" and I say "I was at a shooting match" the next question usually is... "So... you have firearms?
That's when I'll confess...
Now that the BSO's are armed I'm not gonna drive up and yell out "I HAVE A GUN" :mrgreen:
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:23 pm

Off Topic but how is the arming process for CBSA going?
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

VoodooSS
Rookie Member

Postby VoodooSS » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:00 pm

slowly.. very very slowly.
Thanks for everyones help! See you at the ports.

FredGassitt

Postby FredGassitt » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:34 pm

Bitterman wrote:To the OP... I'd be interested to hear how you found the guys pistol... Was he one of these hapless travellers who didn't realize he wasn't allowed to carry his gun until he saw the signs at the border and declared it or was he silent about it and upon searching the car it was found...?

Let's just say it started with a prohibited device and some indications he was being less-than-honest... the firearm was well hidden, but our guys found it. I think he knew he'd have to lie about it but still thought he'd get away with it.

SierraSeven
King Poobah

Postby SierraSeven » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:57 am

I've had a US Marshall come through my line with a few buddies. He tinned me, told me what he did, and that they were just coming up for the night to head out to the local bars. He casually mentioned that he had seen the sign and wanted to let me know that he had his service weapon in the glove box, along with his spare magazines and handcuffs. We gladly held onto it at the POE until he picked it up the next afternoon on his way back home.
While you are reading this, your enemy is training.

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:17 am

Anyone think the E311 needs to be modified to include gun and imitation/toy guns as well. Today I caught a guy with an airsoft that was prohibited, only because the kid who was getting it told me about how "cool" it was.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

SierraSeven
King Poobah

Postby SierraSeven » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:20 am

I'd say the E-311 is sufficiently worded as it is. There are many items that could also be added to the question to make it a bit less ambiguous, but then it'd just become a long convoluted mess. If it looks like a gun, and someone doesn't declare it after reading the question, I'd say that they likely had the intention of not having anyone discover the item - fair game for seizing.
While you are reading this, your enemy is training.