Turkeys anyone?

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.
RDS
Rookie Member

Re: Turkeys anyone?

Postby RDS » Wed May 13, 2009 9:29 am

I actually harvested this bird on May 2nd. 20 lbs, one-inch spurs and an eight and a half inch beard. He ran in right after flydown, 10 minutes into legal shooting time (had to check my watch as I watched this little black blob running full tilt from 200 yards away).

He went into full strut at 50 yards and I let him strut into 30 yards. When he turned, I let him have it.

I've been out with the bow since then and I've had a number of birds at 45 yards that just wouldn't get any closer. I also guide a bit and have had a few guys take birds while out with me.

The hens are hitting the nests now, so the action should pick up even more.
RPAT: June 25th, 2009 - PASSED
Package Received: August 12th, 2009

bigbadjoe108
Seasoned Member

Postby bigbadjoe108 » Wed May 13, 2009 9:50 am

Nice Birds guys! I was thinking of putting in for the draw here in Ab. Looks like a great time!
VVV

RDS
Rookie Member

Postby RDS » Wed May 13, 2009 10:08 am

bigbadjoe108 wrote:Nice Birds guys! I was thinking of putting in for the draw here in Ab. Looks like a great time!

No draw here in Ontario. These birds are EVERYWHERE now. It's truly a success story in the conservation of a species. My family has been involved in the Ontario Wild Turkey Project since 1984, when it started.

The only issue now is that many farmers consider them to be pests and they have every right to think that way. A healthy flock of turkeys can pound a wheat or bean field harder than the deer (and we have enough of those in SW Ontario too!).

el_prez
Grand Poobah

Postby el_prez » Wed May 13, 2009 11:06 am

OPPAux wrote:Wild Turkeys are starting to come into the residential areas further and further from the "wild" areas. The residential areas on the urban fringe are experiencing more and more reports of wild turkeys and they're getting more and more bold as they get used to the suburban environment.

My brother, who lives in the outskirts of Ottawa, saw one strutting through his backyard last week. I guess they're becoming bold everywhere.
"Did someone dial 9-1-holysh*t?!"

RDS
Rookie Member

Postby RDS » Wed May 13, 2009 11:12 am

OPPAux wrote:Wild Turkeys are starting to come into the residential areas further and further from the "wild" areas. The residential areas on the urban fringe are experiencing more and more reports of wild turkeys and they're getting more and more bold as they get used to the suburban environment.

Yeah...a far cry from near extinction 25 years ago. They're certainly thriving.

I think we'll see an extended 'any sex' Fall season soon to try and deal with the numbers, which are estimated at around 115,000 now. But, that's in the hands of the MNR and we all know how well they manage herd/flock numbers sometimes. :roll:

bigbadjoe108
Seasoned Member

Postby bigbadjoe108 » Wed May 13, 2009 4:18 pm

Sheesh! Color me jealous! :mrgreen:
VVV

Hubes
Rookie Member

Postby Hubes » Tue May 26, 2009 10:01 pm

Nice bird!

I'm still hoping for mine. Its hard to get out as much as I want when were busy on the farm in the spring. Still 5 days left though.

Zeero
Rookie Member

Postby Zeero » Wed May 27, 2009 12:08 pm

If I were so inlcined to Turkey hunt, all I would have to do is go flying down a Country lane in my Jeep and WHAMO!!

Those things are everywhere around here!! 88)
- Staying on the good side of the thin blue line, the truth will set you free.

PC_Hopefully
Rookie Member

Postby PC_Hopefully » Fri May 29, 2009 8:39 pm

i once saw two of them in an industrial area running along side of the road, no idea where they came from or how they got there withought getting hit by a car !
G.K. Chesterton wrote:Children do not need fairy tales to tell them that dragons exist. Children know dragons exist. Children need fairy tales to teach them that dragons can be killed.