Turkeys anyone?

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.
RDS
Rookie Member

Turkeys anyone?

Postby RDS » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:01 am

The season opened today and I'm heading out on Wednesday. The next two days are filled with fun with my own little turkey (my daughter). :D

I finally have the Browning BPS NWTF Edition 12 gauge dialed in with a Kicks choke tube (.680) and Federal Flight Control Wad #5s. Great turkey gun that I hope to have roar twice this season. 8)
RPAT: June 25th, 2009 - PASSED
Package Received: August 12th, 2009

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Re: Turkeys anyone?

Postby Bitterman » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:18 pm

Turkeys are ugly... They deserve to be killed and eaten.

'Good luck.
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:41 pm

Thats a nice rig. I'm going out myself next week in the pembina valley area of manitoba. I'm using my benelli nova with the xfull extended choke and #4 federal 2 ounce turkey loads.I'm hoping to hear the benelli roar at least once.
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

RDS
Rookie Member

Postby RDS » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:05 am

Bitterman wrote:Turkeys are ugly... They deserve to be killed and eaten.

'Good luck.

They're ugly...but man do they ever taste good!

There's a flock that hangs out behind WRPS HQ that I used to see in the trees when I was leaving in the morning after night shift when I was working there. It was fun to make a couple of no-assistance yelps (I can make a pretty good yelp without the assistance of a mouth call) and hear some of the males gobble this past March. They're the safest birds in the area...in city limits...with police protection! They're also too used to humans now to be hunted, because they're being fed. I've stood within 10 yards of them and they've just sat there and looked at me (oh to have my bow in hand at that time... ;) )

First one this season gets dropped with the shotgun and then I'm getting the longbow out...no blind. It's a challenge I've been trying to complete since last season.

Paul R
Seasoned Member

Postby Paul R » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:50 am

I haven't been able to get out yet. My son was a little sick yesterday with mild dehydration due to that bug that's been going around. Anyway my buddy took the course the weekend before last. Because I couldn't hunt he goes out to "my" spot yesterday. First time he's been turkey hunting ever and low and behold he bags a nice 20lber. I'm happy for him and all but talk about a piss-off.
"I'd rather have the gear and not need it, than need the gear and not have it."

goaliegibson

Postby goaliegibson » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:32 pm

i almost nailed one with my car on Highway 11. Does that count?

RDS
Rookie Member

Postby RDS » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:38 pm

Paul R wrote:I haven't been able to get out yet. My son was a little sick yesterday with mild dehydration due to that bug that's been going around. Anyway my buddy took the course the weekend before last. Because I couldn't hunt he goes out to "my" spot yesterday. First time he's been turkey hunting ever and low and behold he bags a nice 20lber. I'm happy for him and all but talk about a piss-off.

That's why I don't show my friends where my spots are...they walk in blindfolded and out blindfolded (just kidding). :evil:

Sometimes it's purely beginners luck. Right now, they're hot, so they'll respond to just about any call. I've hunted these birds for many years and I think we're in the peak of the breeding season the opening week of the season. The gobblers are just sounding off continuously at the properties I hunt, according to the landowners.

Hoping to drop one tomorrow! It's going to be a sleepless night tonight. 88)

HwyBear

Postby HwyBear » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:47 pm

RDS wrote:. It was fun to make a couple of no-assistance yelps (I can make a pretty good yelp without the assistance of a mouth call) and hear some of the males gobble this past March. They're the safest birds in the area...in city limits...with police protection! They're also too used to humans now to be hunted, because they're being fed. I've stood within 10 yards of them and they've just sat there and looked at me (oh to have my bow in hand at that time... ;) .

Almost close enough to use a :taser:
Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. Your normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop-heart. Make the bastard chase you. He will follow"

mpirooz
Rookie Member

Postby mpirooz » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:45 am

goaliegibson I think that counts as road kill rather than hunting, but hey am no expert. I myself hit a duck once, but then again i may have been dead already.
"be the change you wish to see in the world"
-m.gandi

Mark S
Poobah Overlord

Postby Mark S » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:03 am

Grassynarrows wrote:Thats a nice rig. I'm going out myself next week in the pembina valley area of manitoba. I'm using my benelli nova with the xfull extended choke and #4 federal 2 ounce turkey loads.I'm hoping to hear the benelli roar at least once.

I saw a bunch down there in the southernmost part of the valley last winter when snowmobiling.
Welcome to Winnipeg. We were born here, what's your excuse?

RDS
Rookie Member

Postby RDS » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:30 am

No shortage here in Southern Ontario...for proof, please refer to this QUADRUPLE done yesterday morning:

What a morning (except for me...)

mpirooz
Rookie Member

Postby mpirooz » Wed May 06, 2009 12:42 am

holly turkey, I want some..
"be the change you wish to see in the world"
-m.gandi

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Wed May 06, 2009 11:16 pm

NICE!!!!
didnt see a thing today, heard some but didnt see any.
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

Paul R
Seasoned Member

Postby Paul R » Tue May 12, 2009 11:59 am

Well I finally got out this morning for the first time this season. Seemed like I had court every day off that I could swing a hunt. Went to "my spot" where my buddy got his bird opening day. Immediately had three toms gobbling just after shoot time. Closest sounded like it had a hen. I gave a few calls just to let the birds know I was there. Could hear a few just flying down and heard a crashing coming through the bush. I thought it was a raccoon or a deer (as I also deer hunt from a stand in the tree I was leaning against). Low and behold it was this mid-sized Tom. Well, beggars can't be choosers and I wasn't about to disappoint. Can't complain seeing how this was the first time this season and was only 25 minutes into shooting time. Hell I was back at home with bird by 6:40am.

"I'd rather have the gear and not need it, than need the gear and not have it."