Congrats to the Brothers and Sisters of the CBSA

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.
wazntme

Re: Congrats to the Brothers and Sisters of the CBSA

Postby wazntme » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:47 pm

9mm, 17 in the mag

I point it and pull the trigger and it goes bang, so I would say it's working well.

I actually had this comment not five minutes ago.

"It's nice to see you guys are armed now, never understood how you guys did your job without it. I always thought to myself, you guys are stupid for working without it"

Retired NYPD, if you didn't catch the accent.....

FedCO
King Poobah

Postby FedCO » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Isnt 9mm outdated like why not .40cal like other PO. Like from what I have learned and such 9mm does not have the same oooofff the .40 cal has and tisue damage.

th
Veteran Member

Postby th » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:41 pm

josh1303 wrote:Isnt 9mm outdated like why not .40cal like other PO. Like from what I have learned and such 9mm does not have the same oooofff the .40 cal has and tisue damage.

Oooofff? Is that a technical firearms term they taught you in Police Foundations?
:wave:

gotchya

Postby gotchya » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:46 pm

All I know is you can buy a BB gun that looks exactly like it for a $100!
Last edited by gotchya on Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

FedCO
King Poobah

Postby FedCO » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:20 am

th wrote:
josh1303 wrote:Isnt 9mm outdated like why not .40cal like other PO. Like from what I have learned and such 9mm does not have the same oooofff the .40 cal has and tisue damage.

Oooofff? Is that a technical firearms term they taught you in Police Foundations?

Wow thanks, ya was a good time in Police Foundations. How about the word impact and the pain it can cause. Also in PF they dont teach fire arms training, just this is what some local Police Officers said.

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:58 am

without delving into ballistics charts 9mm hits and penetrates just fine for duty use.
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:01 am

josh1303 wrote:Wow thanks, ya was a good time in Police Foundations. How about the word impact and the pain it can cause. Also in PF they dont teach fire arms training, just this is what some local Police Officers said.

Stopping a threat has little to do with impact and certainly NOTHING to do with pain. This is a very good example of why they should NOT be teaching firearms in police foundations (except for the CFSC/CRFSC.) You should probably not make statements that begin "from what I have learned and such ..." about subjects which you know nothing about, especially considering some of the folks in here have years of experience in teaching weapons handling; some folks in here have been in combat; and some folks in here have survived real life gunfights (with real people, not video games.)

I think everyone in here would give you the same pieces of advice I am about to impart to you, for no charge, compliments of Blue Line:

- When you get to whichever police academy you end up in, keep your mouth shut and your ears open. Your FIREARMS INSTRUCTORS are the ones who will keep you alive, not some "local police officers" who's advice we have now seen is already pretty questionable. Listen to your instructors and thank them every night that you make it home alive at the end of your shift. You will curse them today but you will love them tomorrow.

- Learn everything you can about the physiology of stress; about why a goal-oriented individual sometimes cannot effectively be stopped by ANY round on the face of the earth short of a .50 calibre Browning; about the affects of adrenalin and how it removes the physical limits of our bodies; about how shot placement and multiple shots as required are what will get you home that night; about why five strong, fit, trained police officers cannot easily take down ONE goal-oriented individual without SOMEBODY getting hurt; and about how an innocent little stapler or some other such small tool can be used as a lethal weapon by a person with no pain threshold. (If you don't believe me, look up a couple of documented situations where a normal human being under stress has been able to lift an entire car off a trapped kid just because of the effects of adrenalin.)

- Watch either the FBI Firearms Training Unit tape or the TV movie about the FBI shootout in Dade County Florida in 1986 where two murderers absorbed multiple fatal rounds each in a gunfight and still managed to kill two FBI agents and wound five others. Try and debate with Special Agent Ed Mireles about 9mm versus .40 calibre and he will laugh in your face. He saw two murderers absorb round after round of 9mm, .38 Special and 00 buck and STILL stay in the fight. (His .38 revolver was the weapon that finally ended the fight, by the way.)

This video should be required viewing for every future police officer in North America.

Sadly, I heard a rumour that Special Agent Ed Mireles is recently deceased and one of my big regrets in life is that I never got a chance to meet this real-life hero.

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:28 am

Dave Brown wrote:- Learn everything you can about the physiology of stress; about why a goal-oriented individual sometimes cannot effectively be stopped by ANY round on the face of the earth short of a .50 calibre Browning; about the affects of adrenalin and how it removes the physical limits of our bodies; about how shot placement and multiple shots as required are what will get you home that night; about why five strong, fit, trained police officers cannot easily take down ONE goal-oriented individual without SOMEBODY getting hurt; and about how an innocent little stapler or some other such small tool can be used as a lethal weapon by a person with no pain threshold. (If you don't believe me, look up a couple of documented situations where a normal human being under stress has been able to lift an entire car off a trapped kid just because of the effects of adrenalin.)

- Watch either the FBI Firearms Training Unit tape or the TV movie about the FBI shootout in Dade County Florida in 1986 where two murderers absorbed multiple fatal rounds each in a gunfight and still managed to kill two FBI agents and wound five others. Try and debate with Special Agent Ed Mireles about 9mm versus .40 calibre and he will laugh in your face. He saw two murderers absorb round after round of 9mm, .38 Special and 00 buck and STILL stay in the fight. (His .38 revolver was the weapon that finally ended the fight, by the way.)

No, what you have are bullets, and the hope that when your guns are empty, I'm no longer standing, because if I am... you'll all be dead before you've reloaded.

Gadget
Seasoned Member

Postby Gadget » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:26 pm

The PX4 is a far cry better than what we had before. ;)
NO! I don't know when they're hiring dammit! No one does.

FedCO
King Poobah

Postby FedCO » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:59 pm

Thanks for the paragraph I will hunt down that video and watch it.

Protector24
Rookie Member

Postby Protector24 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:09 pm

Last edited by Protector24 on Mon May 27, 2013 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FedCO
King Poobah

Postby FedCO » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:22 pm

My bad for for not putting more thought into my post before sending it off. I forgot how you guys read the post apart and no I dont have alot of weapon experience and all I want is to learn about firearms and everything else. Was just trying to find out why most Police Services have switched over the .40cal.

Thanks.

gotchya

Postby gotchya » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:32 am

josh1303 wrote:My bad for for not putting more thought into my post before sending it off. I forgot how you guys read the post apart and no I dont have alot of weapon experience and all I want is to learn about firearms and everything else. Was just trying to find out why most Police Services have switched over the .40cal.
Thanks.

What the hell is "read[ing] the post apart"?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage