Introduction and question (Armourer)

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.
LimeyMick
Rookie Member

Introduction and question (Armourer)

Postby LimeyMick » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:29 pm

Good day LimeyMick here.

First post, please be kind!

RCMP/City Police Armourers?
Whats the deal guys?
Keeping my options open on the emigration front and was wondering how you guys go about recruiting or training Armourers?
As an Ex British Army Armourer (22 Years Service) i thought i would come to guys that know.

Probably a bit old to chase robbers around but would love to give my new Country something back from the off.

(do you get Dental by the way? You know what British teeth are like!?)

Only kidding.

LimeyMick

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Re: Introduction and question (Armourer)

Postby A.T.R. » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:58 pm

I know of hand the armourer for my service, he has been elevated to be a Special Constable, and as far as I know, someone has to die before a position is posted.

Apply as a Special Constable for a service, and keep your skills on hand when a position comes up.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

LimeyMick
Rookie Member

Postby LimeyMick » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:36 pm

Thanks TorontoCopper.

I will take a closer look when im a bit closer to home.
If anyone else has some info ill be very happy to read it.

Keep doing a good job guys

All the best

LimeyMick

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:58 pm

Basically, you have 2 options (well maybe 3), keep your eye on the respective job board where the service would post jobs externally (GOJobs for the OPP, the federal equivalent for the RCMP, and each services site for municipal sites). Since this would be a union position the chances of any posting becoming eligible to be posted externally is very very slim. 2) Apply for another position, and hopefully if you get on, apply to an internal posting if and when it becomes available. 3) Apply without a job position having been posted, this is the maybe, as alot of services (especially the larger ones) have disclaimer saying they do not accept unsolicited resumes.

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:01 pm

TorontoCopper wrote:I know of hand the armourer for my service, he has been elevated to be a Special Constable, and as far as I know, someone has to die before a position is posted.

Apply as a Special Constable for a service, and keep your skills on hand when a position comes up.

The Ontario Gov has discovered that Special Constable status is no longer requried for those who handle firearms as part of their duties while being employed by police services or the government. Our Firearms Officers just lost their Special Constable status this year because the ministry said they no longer requried it to possess and transport all classes of firearms. Section 117 of the Criminal Code provides exemptions for Public Officers. Someone employed by a police service such as property room/evidence clerks,QM clerks, Firearms officers who usually have firearms and or prohibited weapons such as OC Spray in their possession, are exempted under sec 117 as public officers.

Public officers

117.07 (1) Notwithstanding any other provision of this Act, but subject to section 117.1, no public officer is guilty of an offence under this Act or the Firearms Act by reason only that the public officer

(a) possesses a firearm, a prohibited weapon, a restricted weapon, a prohibited device, any prohibited ammunition or an explosive substance in the course of or for the purpose of the public officer’s duties or employment;

(b) manufactures or transfers, or offers to manufacture or transfer, a firearm, a prohibited weapon, a restricted weapon, a prohibited device, any ammunition or any prohibited ammunition in the course of the public officer’s duties or employment;

(c) exports or imports a firearm, a prohibited weapon, a restricted weapon, a prohibited device or any prohibited ammunition in the course of the public officer’s duties or employment;

(d) exports or imports a component or part designed exclusively for use in the manufacture of or assembly into an automatic firearm in the course of the public officer’s duties or employment;

(e) in the course of the public officer’s duties or employment, alters a firearm so that it is capable of, or manufactures or assembles any firearm with intent to produce a firearm that is capable of, discharging projectiles in rapid succession during one pressure of the trigger;

(f) fails to report the loss, theft or finding of any firearm, prohibited weapon, restricted weapon, prohibited device, ammunition, prohibited ammunition or explosive substance that occurs in the course of the public officer’s duties or employment or the destruction of any such thing in the course of the public officer’s duties or employment; or

(g) alters a serial number on a firearm in the course of the public officer’s duties or employment.

Definition of “public officer”

(2) In this section, "public officer" means
(a) a peace officer;

(b) a member of the Canadian Forces or of the armed forces of a state other than Canada who is attached or seconded to any of the Canadian Forces;

(c) an operator of a museum established by the Chief of the Defence Staff or a person employed in any such museum;

(d) a member of a cadet organization under the control and supervision of the Canadian Forces;

(e) a person training to become a police officer or a peace officer under the control and supervision of

(i) a police force, or

(ii) a police academy or similar institution designated by the Attorney General of Canada or the lieutenant governor in council of a province;

(f) a member of a visiting force, within the meaning of section 2 of the Visiting Forces Act, who is authorized under paragraph 14(a) of that Act to possess and carry explosives, ammunition and firearms;

(g) a person, or member of a class of persons, employed in the federal public administration or by the government of a province or municipality who is prescribed to be a public officer; or

(h) the Commissioner of Firearms, the Registrar, a chief firearms officer, any firearms officer and any person designated under section 100 of the Firearms Act.

1995, c. 39, s. 139; 2003, c. 8, s. 7, c. 22, s. 224(E).

Individuals acting for police force, Canadian Forces and visiting forces

117.08 Notwithstanding any other provision of this Act, but subject to section 117.1, no individual is guilty of an offence under this Act or the Firearms Act by reason only that the individual

(a) possesses a firearm, a prohibited weapon, a restricted weapon, a prohibited device, any prohibited ammunition or an explosive substance,

(b) manufactures or transfers, or offers to manufacture or transfer, a firearm, a prohibited weapon, a restricted weapon, a prohibited device, any ammunition or any prohibited ammunition,

(c) exports or imports a firearm, a prohibited weapon, a restricted weapon, a prohibited device or any prohibited ammunition,

(d) exports or imports a component or part designed exclusively for use in the manufacture of or assembly into an automatic firearm,

(e) alters a firearm so that it is capable of, or manufactures or assembles any firearm with intent to produce a firearm that is capable of, discharging projectiles in rapid succession during one pressure of the trigger,

(f) fails to report the loss, theft or finding of any firearm, prohibited weapon, restricted weapon, prohibited device, ammunition, prohibited ammunition or explosive substance or the destruction of any such thing, or

(g) alters a serial number on a firearm,

if the individual does so on behalf of, and under the authority of, a police force, the Canadian Forces, a visiting force, within the meaning of section 2 of the Visiting Forces Act, or a department of the Government of Canada or of a province.

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:03 pm

TorontoCopper wrote:I know of hand the armourer for my service, he has been elevated to be a Special Constable, and as far as I know, someone has to die before a position is posted.

This is very true. These types of jobs being very limited in numbers, almost never have a turn over rate unless their is a retirement.

As for armorer jobs, I think our service trains police officers who work out of our PDC as instructors as armorers to do general maintenance and minor repairs on the service pistol. The Glock pistols are made so that broken or worn out parts can be changed quite easily. But for more serious stuff, it's probably sent to a gunsmith who is licenced to do warranty work. But don't quote me on this.
Last edited by Bald Man on Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:04 pm

See if you could do some gunsmithing on the side also, this may help you make some contacts.
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:11 pm

Grassynarrows wrote:See if you could do some gunsmithing on the side also, this may help you make some contacts.

I remember hearing a number of years ago that a gunsmith who worked his buisness in Hull,Quebec (Luc Defrence I think was his name), was hired on by the RCMP as a gunsmith. He subsequently closed his buisness down or sold it.

LimeyMick
Rookie Member

Postby LimeyMick » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:20 pm

Thank you everyone, like London buses i waited for ages and then you all came along at once!

Cheers Guys.

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:34 pm

LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)