Taurus PT 24/7 PRO

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.
VoodooSS
Rookie Member

Taurus PT 24/7 PRO

Postby VoodooSS » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:00 pm

What do you guys think? I just bought one. Ive read theyre pretty decent, but the reviews range from AWESOME gun to complete POS, so i guess its pretty open to interpretation.

Anyone on here shoot one before?
edit:

heres some pics

Last edited by VoodooSS on Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks for everyones help! See you at the ports.

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Taurus PT 24/7 PRO

Postby Dave Brown » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:22 pm

Never shot one but I have shot a lot of Taurus handguns over the years.

If you are interested in one, you need to research the barrel-length issue. There are three lengths available: 3.3", 4" and 5.2". The only one not prohibited in Canada is the 5.2" length, or so it seems.

(One can't always go by manufacturer's specs because inches does not always translate exactly to metric. It should be noted that the regulation for prohibited versus restricted handguns in Canada was written in METRIC; there is no exact inch equivalency. I have seen some handguns listed as 4" that were actually over the prohibited 105mm barrel length. It should also be noted that not only is this one of the few regulated lengths in firearms laws originally written in metric, it is also one of the few that is INCLUSIVE - meaning that a handgun would be prohibited if the barrel were to be 105mm OR LESS in length. If a barrel were to be EXACTLY 105mm, it is still prohibited, unlike a sawed-off shotgun, for example, that would NOT be prohibited if the barrel were to be sawed off at EXACTLY 18".)

Taurus is a Brazilian company that has been around for many years. They make price-point guns, that offer reasonably good quality for a good price. (This is why you see a lot of glowing user reviews on them; U.S. shooters love the price, and many of them fire a few rounds out of them, load them up and stick them in their nightstand.) They started out making knockoffs of the Beretta Model 92 pistol years ago, and even improved the design somewhat. Taurus is not considered a top-end pistol, any more than a Hyundai can be considered the same as a Mercedes. They offer good value for the dollar but like anything else in life, you usually get what you pay for.

I would certainly not ever recommend such a pistol for professional use, of course, but might be fun to shoot some targets at a range.

If the Sig is the Mercedes of handguns and the Glock is the Chevy, I guess that makes Beretta the Fiat of guns. Consider the Taurus to be a Fiat knockoff, if you will.

VoodooSS
Rookie Member

Postby VoodooSS » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:04 am

ive been looking at a sig 2340, they seem like really nice guns.. i just wanted something i can screw around with and not worry about dropping. i definitly have no professional use for it, but it is a good stand in for the PX4 storms the CBSA uses. but using it for practice is seriously counting my eggs before they hatch, i havent even written the test yet lol

CFBGoose
Rookie Member

Postby CFBGoose » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:22 pm

VoodooSS wrote:What do you guys think? I just bought one. Ive read theyre pretty decent, but the reviews range from AWESOME gun to complete POS, so i guess its pretty open to interpretation.

How much did you pay for it? I was looking at buying a Ruger 45 AUTO ACP KP345PR but I'm still looking at other pistols before deciding. Have you fired it yet?

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=6645&return=Y
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid.

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:07 am

Rugers are excellent semi-automatics.

They come in stainless steel construction so they resist corrosion much better in their intended deep marine environment; they have lots of sharp edges for digging into lake bottoms and the trigger guard is large enough to get almost ANY boat rope through.

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:03 am

too funny dave brown :D
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

VoodooSS
Rookie Member

Postby VoodooSS » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:26 pm

CFBGoose wrote:
VoodooSS wrote:What do you guys think? I just bought one. Ive read theyre pretty decent, but the reviews range from AWESOME gun to complete POS, so i guess its pretty open to interpretation.

How much did you pay for it? I was looking at buying a Ruger 45 AUTO ACP KP345PR but I'm still looking at other pistols before deciding. Have you fired it yet?

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=6645&return=Y

Canadiangunnutz has a few for sale on the EE, i think around 450 you can pick one up for?

on a side note i just grabbed a Glock22 for 630, shipped, with 4 factory mags :)

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:01 pm

Thats a great deal!!!
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

VoodooSS
Rookie Member

Postby VoodooSS » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:55 pm

Gen 3 with low round count, im pretty stoked! i even got 3 extra mags for it before the transfer is even approved lol

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:00 pm

Excellent!!! I love my Glock

GRC
Rookie Member

Postby GRC » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:47 pm

Dave Brown wrote:If the Sig is the Mercedes of handguns and the Glock is the Chevy, I guess that makes Beretta the Fiat of guns. Consider the Taurus to be a Fiat knockoff, if you will.

Not that I would ever question the word of a demi-god but I think you may have under estimated the Beretta and Taurus line of firearms a tad. Beretta's would not be the Fiat of guns. They are more of the Maserati of guns using you line of thinking. And if the various Taurus models are "knock offs" of the Maserati then they can't be that bad. The American Military keeps ordering them (Berettas that is ... 400,00 plus this last order) so they can't be that bad! What do you think of the Stoeger lines? Are they knock offs as well?

I have a good deal of trigger time behind the Beretta, Sigs and Glock pistols along with the Taurus (PT101) and I found them all to be a great handguns that hit were I point them. They all have their pros and cons but overall they (like most modern pistols of good name) if properly maintained and loved will go bang every time you pull the trigger. As they should if you are carrying it in your duty holster!

Remember that the original winner of the RCMP Small Arms Replacement Program (SARP) pistol was the Beretta 92F! If you search the Canadian Police Research Council and RCMP you will find the PDF with some interesting results!

I wouldn't have a problem carrying any of the Sig, Glock or Beretta pistols and from my experience the Taurus would do just fine as well. I would agree that the Ruger pistols of old were clunky and unrefined but the new SR9 and the P series .45 have seem to corrected the errors of their previous pistols. That being said ... never fired one and unless a police service in Canada adopts one I likely will not have the chance to see how they do on the range. I guess I have no strict favorite (although Sigs have a special place in my heart) in duty pistols. My favorite is the one in my hand when I need to shoot it as long as it goes bang!

But heck this is all just my opinion and we know what opinions are like .....

GRC

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:05 pm

I never said I am a demi-god, and I resent you trying to facetiously attach that moniker to me.

Only my wife and Pete Broccolo get to call me a demi-god (and you can bet your mortgage that that will NEVER happen, especially if you ever met me. Or my wife. Or Pete Broccolo.)

I also never said that anything above is not just my opinion.

Yes, opinions vary. Let's get police officers to patrol in Maseratis and then ask their opinions.

(I am also very familiar with the original semi-auto replacement program, and who selected what and who took a job where after the selection. You don't need to point me in the direction of research that I know already.)

Now let's look at the FACTS.

The FACTS are that in the last four years, five police agencies in Canada dumped Beretta for another make of semi-auto, citing quality control and customer service issues. (Four went to Glock and one - Vancouver - went to Sig.)

The FACTS are that with one agency I was training, out of a shipment of seven handguns, one was totally defective out of the box (the slide could not even move on the frame) and one had the wrong magazine. (For some insanely stupid reason, a Beretta Cougar magazine will seat in a Beretta 92D handgun, but will not feed because it is a few millimeters too short. The ONLY way to tell them apart was the stock number because you could place them side by side and it was difficult to visibly tell them apart.)

Taurus is a Brazilian company who started by making knockoffs of the Beretta pistol. That is a fact. IN MY OPINION, they actually do a pretty decent job and in some ways even improved the design. If I was looking for an inexpensive shooter, I would even pick a Taurus over a Beretta.

Stoeger is not a manufacturer; they are an importer. They started out importing knockoffs of a lot of designs, most notably the Luger. They now make inexpensive price-point guns; many of which provide good value and a lot of shooting pleasure for the dollar. Much like Taurus. Much like Ruger. In my opinion.

In my opinion, NOTHING made by Taurus, Stoeger or Ruger should be used as a duty firearm ... but that is not really what we are talking about here anyway. We are talking about recreational guns, and which ones can provide reasonable quality for the price; we are not talking about who is going to go up against Rob Leatham in world speed shooting competition armed with a Taurus pistol.

Heck, I even like the Walther P22 for beginner recreational shooting ... and the quality of THAT gun is a FAR cry from james Bond's PPK. (The slide is made out of zinc, for crying out loud ...)