HOLSTERS? S&W M P

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.
sunsetson

HOLSTERS? S&W M P

Postby sunsetson » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:48 pm

Do any owners/users have a preference to the type of holster they use for these?

I have an Uncle Mike's which came with it free, however, I am looking for alternatives...

someone I know mentioned the Safariland type...??

Where can I find a good deal?

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: HOLSTERS? S&W M P

Postby Dave Brown » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:36 pm

What kind of holster were you looking for? Competition? Concealment? Duty carry? Tactical carry?

If it is for duty or concealment, check the December 2008 issue for Blue Line's review of the latest technology in high retention law enforcement holsters. It is not a comprehensive list; it is a head-to-head test of the best on the market. It includes duty holsters plus concealment holsters from the top two makers on the market.

This issue caused a bit of a stir - that's an understatement - and the sales department is still pisssed with me over it, but we actually got emails thanking us for the honesty of our head-to-head test.

Holsters tests are tricky; especially concealment holsters where officers can often select their own. Very few people would admit in a user review they made a mistake and fewer still - thankfully - get to use those holsters in the stress of a life-threatening situation. User reviews and sales figures are almost valueless in selecting a good holster. Also, very few users are going to buy ten different holsters, just so they can challenge the biggest guy they know to try to rip it off their belt in under 30 seconds.

In my mind, a good holster is not the one that works a million times in leisurely practice draws in the store or on the range; a good holster is the one that works that once when someone is trying to kill you.

sunsetson

Postby sunsetson » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:42 am

Dave Brown,

Thanks for the info...I will look into it further and will consider that review.

Cheers

Sunsetson

SierraSeven
King Poobah

Postby SierraSeven » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:13 am

If I'm not mistaken, CBSA uses the Safariland 6365 ALS holster. After I attend the DFC, I plan on picking myself up a S&W M&P 9mm along with a 6365 ALS holster for it. From what I've heard, the M&P is remarkably similar to the Px4 with respect to the general functionality and placement of the magazine release, etc. It seems like a nice holster from what I've seen/played with. I don't however wear it for duty as of yet.

Also, I haven't read the December 2008 issue of Blue Line, so I'm not quite sure what Dave has said with regards to this holster.

Safariland ALS 6365 Holster
While you are reading this, your enemy is training.

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:15 am

This is rated as a "Level II plus" by Safariland. It was rated as "recommended" in the article. It takes a forward motion plus a rearward motion of the thumb to release (no sense getting into any more details here) but is quick and secure.

It was a good choice on the part of CBSA.

The similar Safariland 6070 Raptor holster was rated "highly recommended." It is a true Level III, and it was designed to duplicate the draw of the older (and very popular in Canada) Safariland 070. This is easily the one I would recommend if an agency were to be transitioning from the 070.

In real-life practical situations, both holsters are equally about as fast and reliable. The additional retention level of the Raptor is not really a significant factor, as is explained in the article.

Both holsters are considered the best of current technology because they are easy to use, easy to train on, very secure and the sidearm can be reholstered almost instantly with one hand.

The Blackhawk SERPA was rated as "unacceptable" for reasons detailed in the article.

Blackhawk does make excellent holsters for airsoft guns.

SierraSeven
King Poobah

Postby SierraSeven » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:36 am

I'm not sure if you go over this in the article, but from what I can see, both the 6070 and 6365 have the same level of retention. The 6365 has the hood release, along with the ALS release. The 6070 also has the hood release, along with the ALS release which is simply in another location. Are you including the optional Sentry feature to bring it up to a true level III?

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:59 am

The 6070 has one additional release over the 6360 series that I am, again, not going to detail ... but if you are familiar with the 070, then you already know how it works.

The rotating top hood on both the 6070 and 6360 is called the "SLS" by Safariland. (The fixed "hood guard" over top of the rotating SLS is easily removable, by the way.)

The thumb button on the 6360 is called the "ALS." Both use the same rotating hood, but the Raptor does not have an ALS; it has TWO additional (different) releases. (Hence, the Level III designation.)

The optional "sentry" device bumps up a Level II to a Level III and a Level III to a Level IV.

I don't recommend the optional sentry unless you are in a very high risk environment. (Quite frankly, if one needs a Level IV, it is time to reconsider your career options anyway!)

In a sidebar article, I also discussed what the retention levels really mean, and why we shouldn't get so hung up on what is essentially marketing-speak. (There is no standardization in so-called retention levels, which is why I usually refer to these holsters as "high-retention" or "triple-retention" - but also understanding that holster retention is only one part of an entire continuum of defenses.)

SierraSeven
King Poobah

Postby SierraSeven » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:09 am

Thanks Dave, quite informative. I'll have to pick up that December issue somehow.

El Conejo
Grand Poobah

Postby El Conejo » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:18 am

Dave,

I would like to read that article as well, but that edition seemed to go missing at work. Is there a way to order a single back-issue? I don't see it on the main page anywhere.

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:17 am

What? You folks don't subscribe? For $25 a year, you get ten issues of great stuff; case law, product tests, profile articles, great editorial - AND you get to find out why we occasionally tick off advertisers.

Seriously though, PM sent to El Conejo and sunsetson.

El Conejo
Grand Poobah

Postby El Conejo » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:35 am

33 (if I am the bus driver)

sunsetson

HOLSTERS DEALS??

Postby sunsetson » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:03 pm

Now, where can I shop and get the best deal for these? I am in NB, therefore not sure who to go to if at all.

PM me if you wish.

Sunsetson

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:56 pm

El Conejo wrote:33 (if I am the bus driver)

Yeah the joke in the December issue was WAY too easy. (Lots of folks didn't get it, though.)

My answer was "53."

Protector24
Rookie Member

Postby Protector24 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:02 pm

Last edited by Protector24 on Mon May 27, 2013 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.