Recoil

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.
Dark_Knight
Rookie Member

Recoil

Postby Dark_Knight » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:11 am

I have fired several semi auto pistols before, but never a revolver. Obviously there is a fairly good kick with semi-auto's because of the slide action, but I was wondering if any of you guys could fill me in on what kind of recoil a revolver would have? I can't imagine it would be as aggressive as a semi-auto. Also, are revolver generally more accurate?

Islander
Rookie Member

Re: Recoil

Postby Islander » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:12 am

Recoil depends on many factors. In comparison with a semi-auto, what calibers are we talking about? Which particular firearms? Ported barrels/muzzle breaks? Particular loads?

To be honest, I find revolvers have more "front recoil" for lack of a better term, depending on the caliber/load. Go try out a S&W Model 500 :)

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:42 pm

Dark_Knight wrote:I are revolver generally more accurate?

There are many variables to consider, buti t's gennerally accepted that yes, revolvers are more accurate than semiautos... There are of course exceptions, but considering that a revolver's barrel is fixed and most semiauto barrels are not I tend to beleive this too.
For example:
From a benched, supported, deliberate, carefull as can be shooting position my 34 year old .38spl. S&W mod. 15 with a 4" barrel will out shoot my 2 year old 9mm G17 all day long
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

Islander
Rookie Member

Postby Islander » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:37 pm

Bitterman wrote:
Dark_Knight wrote:I are revolver generally more accurate?

There are many variables to consider, buti t's gennerally accepted that yes, revolvers are more accurate than semiautos... There are of course exceptions, but considering that a revolver's barrel is fixed and most semiauto barrels are not I tend to beleive this too.
For example:
From a benched, supported, deliberate, carefull as can be shooting position my 34 year old .38spl. S&W mod. 15 with a 4" barrel will out shoot my 2 year old 9mm G17 all day long

I bet! A lot of people discredit those 'old .38's ' but from what I've been hearing, they're pretty dead on!

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:23 pm

Islander wrote:I bet! A lot of people discredit those 'old .38's ' but from what I've been hearing, they're pretty dead on!

Just look around at any PPC match... How many PPC guns are built on S&W model 10 frames? My guess is that everyone has one :mrgreen:

My PPC rig is an old mod. 10 with a heavy, under-lugged 6" barrel, Whichita 4-pos. sight and a trigger job.
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

Islander
Rookie Member

Postby Islander » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:07 pm

I have an old S&W Pre-Victory model, made in 1940. It's chambered in .38 S&W, not .38spl, but there's something about those k-frames that you've gotta love. I got S&W to draft up a historian letter for that particular piece. It was shipped out Christmas Day to the British purchasing commission in NYC which sent it to the RAF I believe.

The semi's are fun and I've decent accuracy with them, but if I were going for super tight groupings, I'd prefer a revolver. Just me, I guess.

Saint
Rookie Member

Postby Saint » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:28 pm

Bitterman wrote:
Islander wrote:I bet! A lot of people discredit those 'old .38's ' but from what I've been hearing, they're pretty dead on!

Just look around at any PPC match... How many PPC guns are built on S&W model 10 frames? My guess is that everyone has one :mrgreen:

My PPC rig is an old mod. 10 with a heavy, under-lugged 6" barrel, Whichita 4-pos. sight and a trigger job.

That looks a lot like my old X-caliber. Won a silver in the World Police and Fire games PPC.

Mark S
Poobah Overlord

Postby Mark S » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:58 pm

All things being equal, a revolver should have more recoil than a semi auto, since the action in a semi-auto is absorbing some of that recoil.
Welcome to Winnipeg. We were born here, what's your excuse?

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:48 pm

thing too is a revolver has a bit more muzzle jump also I have found.
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.