REAL OR FAKE?

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.
Zeppelin
Rookie Member

REAL OR FAKE?

Postby Zeppelin » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:34 pm

You folks have probably seen this one floating around for awhile but....do ya think this is real or fake?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=506_1187311630
How many more times....

Saint
Rookie Member

Re: REAL OR FAKE?

Postby Saint » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:29 pm

That is very real. I have seen it happen with steel disc shooting. At some range the bullet lacks enough power to penatrate and is relected back. This is why it is very important to setup discs at a slight angle and away to a safe area.

boogydude17
Rookie Member

Postby boogydude17 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:58 pm

Yeah thats been floating around for awhile, that guy probably needed a diaper change after that incident! Maybe next time he will use a paper target hahaha

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:00 pm

You'll likely not find an active shooter who hasn't been hit by either a ricochet or spatter off a steel target/backstop.
I once took a whole .45 slug to the gut during a PPC match... I watched the thing bounce off the backstop and come right at me... The impact was maybe as hard as if someone had whipped it at me as hard as they could, but it did ouch a bit :oops:
getting hit in the face/head might have been more dramatic... That's why we wear safety glasses :D
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

T.M.DIESEL
King Poobah

Postby T.M.DIESEL » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:53 pm

Bitterman wrote:You'll likely not find an active shooter who hasn't been hit by either a ricochet or spatter off a steel target/backstop.
I once took a whole .45 slug to the gut during a PPC match... I watched the thing bounce off the backstop and come right at me... The impact was maybe as hard as if someone had whipped it at me as hard as they could, but it did ouch a bit :oops:
getting hit in the face/head might have been more dramatic... That's why we wear safety glasses :D

Good thing you have alot of padding in that area.
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." -- Unknown

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to
take everything you have.--Thomas Jefferson

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:08 pm

T.M.DIESEL wrote:
Bitterman wrote:You'll likely not find an active shooter who hasn't been hit by either a ricochet or spatter off a steel target/backstop.

Good thing you have alot of padding in that area.

Do not...!I'm 6' 1" and 180lbs....!
It was a few years ago so I was probably even skinnier...
Do these cargo pants make my ass look big...?
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

T.M.DIESEL
King Poobah

Postby T.M.DIESEL » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:59 pm

Will have to refer to Window on the pants question. :P
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." -- Unknown

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to
take everything you have.--Thomas Jefferson

TackleberryG22

Postby TackleberryG22 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:18 pm

Striker,

The one off the helmet in the butts, most likely was a 'dead' bullet in the back stop kicked up by the in coming supersonic round.

I saw this happen a number of times. The rnd bouncing down in the butts are usually, bent dirty & corroded. I've even seen one twisted almost cut in half, the 'cut' was fresh exposed copper.

That's why they keep a round count for the range,and at what targets. Then they clean out the backstops and rotate dirt to cut back on ricco's.

When I was at Bisley in '85, I took a walk along the butts of Century Range one evening. Walking along between the target holders and the backstop, I thought I was walking on gravel. It was loose exposed bullets. Now I think they had the crew service weapon run downs that week so I'm sure that helped. Now that would have been an interesting place to be... 106 targets across, 2 man crew, 600- 100 yrd run down, and both firing from each range (unknown 3 of rounds per member)

I'll tell ya, it was impressive to watch from the600 yrd point.
"Heros In Life, Not Death" Ontario's Police Officer Memorial

"Friendly Fire, Isn't"
"Incoming Fire Has The Right-of-way."
"Do Something, ...It Maybe Wrong, But Do Something" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch