About to purchase a handgun

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.
Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Re: About to purchase a handgun

Postby Bald Man » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:50 pm

Dave Brown wrote:That used Glock might be okay but check for barrel bulges. Also, look at the frame and see if it is the new version with the molded-in finger grooves on the grip or the older version without. I love the new frame style over the older one and would easily be willing to pay more.

Not that it matters, but the 3rd generation Glocks not only have a nicer frame, the slide finish is a nice satin black finish. The older models have a plain dull black finish. Over all, a nice looking pistol.

polarbear
King Poobah

Postby polarbear » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:51 pm

Dave Brown wrote:That used Glock might be okay but check for barrel bulges. Also, look at the frame and see if it is the new version with the molded-in finger grooves on the grip or the older version without. I love the new frame style over the older one and would easily be willing to pay more.

I have to agree on this.... I have shot both the older models and the newer generations of Glock, in the same caliber, and I prefer the version with the finger groves in it.
POLICE OFFICER

sunsetson

Postby sunsetson » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:06 pm

I like all models but prefer S&W M&P (.40 cal). Feels great, shoots great, light weight, accurate etc. I purchased mine from Ellwood Epps...great guys and service! You can probably find less expensive Glocks at Policeordinance.com if you are PO. Good luck and enjoy either way!

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:27 pm

Buy the Glock.
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

wanna taco
Rookie Member

Postby wanna taco » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:03 pm

Definitely buy the Glock. It is reliable, proven and parts/accessories are available almost everywhere.

RDS
Rookie Member

Postby RDS » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:37 am

sunsetson wrote:I like all models but prefer S&W M&P (.40 cal). Feels great, shoots great, light weight, accurate etc. I purchased mine from Ellwood Epps...great guys and service! You can probably find less expensive Glocks at Policeordinance.com if you are PO. Good luck and enjoy either way!

Ditto. I like the S&W M&P in .40 S&W.

It's always best to get out and handle them to see what feels best in your hand. I like the SIG P226 as well, but, they're a lot more pricey than the M&P.

The Glocks have just never 'fit' me well. Much like shotguns, if the 'fit' isn't right, then it won't be right for you, no matter how dependable a firearm it might be.
Last edited by RDS on Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
RPAT: June 25th, 2009 - PASSED
Package Received: August 12th, 2009

ryan.p
Rookie Member

Postby ryan.p » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:45 am

Hey guys,

Just an update. I ran into a bit of a snag with my local gun range. You need to be a paid member for a year before they will give you access to their handgun range and allow you to take out an ATT to the club.

I am just trying to work out if it is worth paying for membership for a year when I will rarely use it just for non-restricted shooting.

Thanks for all the input though!
| Now on board with VanB's 5 step program |

Savage
Rookie Member

Postby Savage » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:30 am

I have never been a fan of the Glocks. To me they just feel cheap, like it will break apart in my hands. I much prefer the Sig P226. I defy you to break one of these!

SPC
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby SPC » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:13 pm

Savage wrote:I have never been a fan of the Glocks. To me they just feel cheap, like it will break apart in my hands. I much prefer the Sig P226. I defy you to break one of these!

They won't, although you can't go wrong with a sig. On a different note, I was at the range yesterday, and a guy who was there had a .44 Magnum that he let me take for a ride. 88) Nice gun, with a ton of kick, even with his loaded down re-loads. Hate to see what the hot stuff feels like. Fairly accurate as well.
"When we act on behalf of others, we have no moral authority to forgive on their behalf, to allow evil for the sake of tolerance, or to turn the cheek of anyone but ourselves."

pontcanna
Rookie Member

Postby pontcanna » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:55 am

ryan.p wrote:You need to be a paid member for a year before they will give you access to their handgun range and allow you to take out an ATT to the club.
What unmitigated BS. Only in Ontario I guess. None of the three ranges I belong to out here (Victoria) have any such restrictions and we don't have problems. You join a club (same day in the case of Victoria Fish and Game) and tell the CFC about it and an ATT is faxed to you sooner rather than later. A bleeding year to get your ATT. Wow.

echo1
Grand Poobah

Postby echo1 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:31 pm

ryan.p wrote:Hey guys,

Just an update. I ran into a bit of a snag with my local gun range. You need to be a paid member for a year before they will give you access to their handgun range and allow you to take out an ATT to the club.

I am just trying to work out if it is worth paying for membership for a year when I will rarely use it just for non-restricted shooting.

Which club (pm I guess?)

TSE JR
Rookie Member

Postby TSE JR » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:17 am

pontcanna wrote:
ryan.p wrote:You need to be a paid member for a year before they will give you access to their handgun range and allow you to take out an ATT to the club.
What unmitigated BS. Only in Ontario I guess. None of the three ranges I belong to out here (Victoria) have any such restrictions and we don't have problems. You join a club (same day in the case of Victoria Fish and Game) and tell the CFC about it and an ATT is faxed to you sooner rather than later. A bleeding year to get your ATT. Wow.

Yep.... ONLY in Taxtario.

The hardest thing for me to wrap my head around when we bought Target Sports in Gormley was the completely different "interpretation" :roll: of the CFO's policies here.

I've heard every excuse and NONE of them hold water. However, as it stands, anyone in Taxtario that wants to LEGALLY own a handgun must:

1) be a member of a gun club
2) successfully complete the CSSA "Club level safety course"
3) have a letter signed by the host club confirming that the individual has been observed safely firing a firearm action "that is common used" in the facility.

It has taken almost a year, but we finally have the Target club (The Grange) down to being able to get this done in a few days. Given that it took up to 8 weeks when we took over, this is really a monumental step.

In summary: You guys in Ontario are so "special" ;) that the OPP and the provincial gov't have decided that you guys need extra special "help" to ensure you can play well with others. :)

JR
James Cox
President / CEO
The Edge Group

The Shooting Edge (Calgary), Target Sports (Toronto) and EAR Canada

ryan.p
Rookie Member

Postby ryan.p » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:42 am

echo1 wrote:
ryan.p wrote:Hey guys,

Which club (pm I guess?)

Replied.
| Now on board with VanB's 5 step program |