About to purchase a handgun

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.
ryan.p
Rookie Member

About to purchase a handgun

Postby ryan.p » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:36 pm

Well, I have been interested in picking up a handgun for quite some time now, and finally have some cash in hand to make the purchase. This firearm will be used for occasional recreational shooting at a local gun club as well as to help get me more comfortable with handling and shooting a handgun, as I have only ever only owned and hunted with a shotgun.

I went to a local dealer to check out a few rigs.

The first I looked at was the Glock 17 9mm. This firearm was brand new with warranty. It felt nice in my hands as I have long fingers that easily gripped the full frame weapon. I didn't care much for it's boxy like feel. The price for this firearm was $719 + tax.

The second weapon, and my personal favorite from my recent trip to the dealer was the S&W M&P 9mm. This weapon is in used condition, but was previously owned from a staff member of the gun store. It had an estimated 200 rounds through it, and looked and felt like new. The asking price for this firearm was $549 plus tax.

Now I have done some research on both models, and read the pro's and con's of each of them. My question to blueline is, which firearm of the above two would you choose if this was your pick, and why? I hope Dave Brown will pop in with his endless amounts of knowledge and hopefully first hand experience with the two handguns in question.
| Now on board with VanB's 5 step program |

ryan.p
Rookie Member

Re: About to purchase a handgun

Postby ryan.p » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:00 pm

I just got a call back from the dealer. He just said he was able to track down another used handgun that met my criteria from another store in the area for my consideration.

This is a used SIG P226. It comes with 2 mags and case. It is classified in 'very good condition' which he classifies as " In perfect working order, no appreciable wear on working surfaces, no corrosion or pitting, only minor surface dents or scratches." He is asking $719 for this one.

Too many choices and the fact that I cannot shoot any of the models before I try them leaves me a bit confused as to what I should be purchasing.

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:43 pm

Dude...

You're gettn' raped on that G17 price...
PM me if you want to know of a dealer with away better price.
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

308shooter
Rookie Member

Postby 308shooter » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:18 pm

http://www.wolverinesupplies.com/webdox/pricelists/GLOCK%20Retail%20Sept%2015,%202008-2.pdf
Depending on the sight, it might be an alright deal...

Here's the SIG price list.
http://www.wolverinesupplies.com/webdox/pricelists/SIG%20%20Retail%202008.pdf

They're all nice guns, ideally you should handle them all before you pick.

Try Ellwood Epps or Target Sports, depending on how far north you are...
http://www.target-sports.com/
http://www.ellwoodepps.com/

NatWood

Postby NatWood » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:36 pm

I would go with the Glock just because it's been around for a long time and there are lots of accessories for it. The Glock is nice to shoot- I'll never go back to a DA or DAO (Although i admit I've only shot the G17 out of the guns you listed).
You can new G17's for $550 and mags for $26 through MD Charlton in BC.

ryan.p
Rookie Member

Postby ryan.p » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:15 pm

Thanks for the links 308, I will take a look through them.

And Nat, I've heard both good and bad about the SA/DA. Funny enough the sig guys seem to love it where the glock guys seem to hate it.

The only reason why I am leaning away from the Glock, is they use some kind of a different barrel system or something that they claim it to be hazardous to shoot remanufactured ammunition.

I am actually going up to Epps this week as it's not too far away and they seem to have a nice selection.

Thanks for the PM btw bitterman. I'll keep that in mind.

Anyone else have any input?

KL
King Poobah

Postby KL » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:25 pm

You've got three good choices there. I've shot the SIG and Glock and heard good things about the M&P. I might be inclined to go with the M&P just because it is the latest and the other two have been around for quite a while.

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:37 pm

The reason you can't fire lead bullets in Glocks is because of the polygonal rifling. Glock only recomends jacketed ammo for this reason. NO LEAD BULLETS. Reloads,factory ammo etc..are just fine as long as it's Jacketed. Since you can't buy factory lead bullets for .40cal,9mm,45's (that I'm aware of), the only time you will likely encounter lead bullets is if you reload. So I don't see how this will cause any problems buying a Glock. If you buy a Glock and reload, buy an after market rifled barrel to shoot lead bullets.

ryan.p
Rookie Member

Postby ryan.p » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:52 pm

Thanks for clearing the reason you can't shoot lead through the glock guys. I remember reading somewhere that there was a restriction, but couldn't remember exactly what the issue was.

And I would love to go rent a few of these models, but I have no idea where to do that around the GTA.

I may have to take a trip into new york state and find a range down there that I can rent a few handguns to test.

I do agree, it's a hard choice when your standing in the vault of a store trying to get a feel for each chunk.

Tinman
Grand Poobah

Postby Tinman » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:14 pm

ryan.p wrote:chunk.

That gets one of these :roll:

...and you were doing so well :D
Say what you mean. Do what you say.

Mandigs
Rookie Member

Postby Mandigs » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:37 pm

How about asking some instructors around your area. When I did my safety course, my instructor offered for me to go out with him and shoot a bunch of whatever firearm I'd be interested in. Mind you, he has a vast selection so the pickings weren't slim. Just a thought.

Keep us updated on your decision. Once I'm ready and upon arrival of my PAL, I'll be in the same boat with my eyes on the P226, Glock 17 and H&K USP Tactical.

ryan.p
Rookie Member

Postby ryan.p » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:49 pm

I took my Restricted PAL over 4 years ago. I don't know anyone around my area with a semi auto handgun.

I am going to go to another dealer this week and check out their selection.

And tinman, what is chunk not what all the cool kids say these days? ;)

I'll keep this updated for anyone interested.

NatWood

Postby NatWood » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:41 pm

Have you had a look at the handgun forum on canadiangunnutz.com? There's probably lots of relevant info there. Also you could probably arrange to meet a CGN member at a range in your area to shoot some of these guns. The "for sale" forums on that site have some fine deals as well.

Mark S
Poobah Overlord

Postby Mark S » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:01 am

Why did the gun store clerk buy an M&P, put 200 rounds through it, and now has it up for sale?
Welcome to Winnipeg. We were born here, what's your excuse?