CPS adds firepower

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.
pfalex
Rookie Member

Re: CPS adds firepower

Postby pfalex » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:11 pm

Bruce wrote:
"Some weapons and rounds when they hit hard substances like wood, they can actually pick up velocity and start to move through those and then go through the next piece of drywall. This round is designed not to do that, so there is no overpenetration so it will crumble apart," explained Hinse.

It's a feature - some bullets have a miniature wood stove and steam engine for increased penetration of wood.

Think "bunker buster" but on a much smaller scale.

No 20 Year Medal
King Poobah

Postby No 20 Year Medal » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:51 pm

Tee hee, he said penetration....
POLICE CONSTABLE

My patch traders page: http://public.fotki.com/No20YearMedal/

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:22 pm

Nice to see CPS getting patrol rifles. In NW ontario everyone has a C8 or a similar variant 5.56 carbine.
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

TackleberryG22

Postby TackleberryG22 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:30 pm

Well as per usual, they found some academic mind out there, who knows &%#*$ crap about what the topic is, and think that a little bite of understanding and communication by officers going into an inner perimeter of a hot call, ... exactly were this talking head would absolutely refuse to go.... will bring all crazed individuals into a calm realm and then restrain them , so the talking heads can come in and "deal with the person properly".

Perhaps the media outlet would better serve the community by speaking with Tactical Officers who have served High Risk warrants, officers who go toe to toe with "an individual in crisis" armed with a H/G, Edged Weapon, or even a IED of some form.

:ponder: AAAAHHHHH!!!!

What was I thinking???? :banghead: Who "really" wants to know how or why... other than the "blood thirsty killers" that will be issued them!!

I agree with previous posts, EVRY SERVICE SHOULD HAVE PATROL CARBINE PROGRAM !

Stay Safe out there.
"Heros In Life, Not Death" Ontario's Police Officer Memorial

"Friendly Fire, Isn't"
"Incoming Fire Has The Right-of-way."
"Do Something, ...It Maybe Wrong, But Do Something" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Kopparoo2b
Rookie Member

Postby Kopparoo2b » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:30 am

Dave Brown wrote:
"Some weapons and rounds when they hit hard substances like wood, they can actually pick up velocity and start to move through those and then go through the next piece of drywall. This round is designed not to do that, so there is no overpenetration so it will crumble apart," explained Hinse.

Pick UP velocity? Exactly HOW does a bullet experience any accelerative powers once it leaves the barrel?

Should I blame this on the public school system? Dumbing down by or for the media? Unfamiliarity with basic physics? Good grief.

Bullets may ricochet; bullets my penetrate and deflect at strange angles but bullets NEVER gain velocity.

It is like the old myth that a car when braking hard on glare ice actually seems to gain speed. It does not; it only feels like it does because the brain is not experiencing the same decelerative effect it is expecting.

If you don't believe me, ask ... oh, hell ... about a million physics or science teachers.

I'm thinking that must be an administrative typo....of 100 words or less.....these things happen when really smart writers of things talk to us not so knowings......it sounds REAL good when people are reading quickly...... :ponder:
kopparoo2b

"Its not enough to just talk about it"

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:44 pm

I agree.

But it is a lazy way to journalism. I know it's not true; you know it's not true; I am assuming CPS knows it's not true - please, let them know it's not true - but they think this is a quick and dirty way to get their point across in a way the great unwashed can understand it. Sadly, it accomplishes the opposite. It minimizes the legitimacy of everything they say in this press release.

I have said many many times in these forums that every patrol car in Canada should have a shotgun in an overhead rack in the front and a patrol rifle in the trunk. Every vehicle.

But let's use FACTS, not bullshit, to convince the citizens.

Lazy, lazy lazy journalism.

Barkley
Seasoned Member

Postby Barkley » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:10 am

Any of our RCMP friends out there have any "inside info" as the the status of the RCMP being issued a patrol carbine?

The RCMP could use them in my humble opinion.

Any word....what are your "white shirts" saying? Can't find one with an owner's manual in English and FRENCH maybe??

Barkley
But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he bearith not the sword in vain:
ROMANS 13

Mark S
Poobah Overlord

Postby Mark S » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:28 pm

Maybe by 2020.
Welcome to Winnipeg. We were born here, what's your excuse?

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:28 pm

Barkley wrote:Can't find one with an owner's manual in English and FRENCH maybe??

How hard can it be to translate the following into French:
- Point THIS end at bad guy.
- Pull trigger.
- Repeat as necessary.

HwyBear

Postby HwyBear » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:36 pm

Dave Brown wrote:I
I have said many many times in these forums that every patrol car in Canada should have a shotgun in an overhead rack in the front and a patrol rifle in the trunk. Every vehicle.

Rifles serve no purpose on a high risk take down sitting in my trunk! Put them in the front also!!
Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. Your normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop-heart. Make the bastard chase you. He will follow"

Barkley
Seasoned Member

Postby Barkley » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:00 pm

The carbines are great but sometimes a shotgun is the weapon you want. There is a proper application for each.....good for Calgary....I hope our brothers and sisters in the Mounted Police are issued decent longuns .... and soon!

Barkley
But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he bearith not the sword in vain:
ROMANS 13

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:24 pm

HwyBear wrote:Rifles serve no purpose on a high risk take down sitting in my trunk! Put them in the front also!!
Absolutely agreed, but not everyone has the choice of both. While I am a big fan of patrol rifles, I am also a bigger fan of shotguns. Given a choice, I want the shorter-range defensive weapon up close.

In a hurry, until you can fight your way to a proper weapon, there is not much cover that will stop a 12 gauge slug - unless of course one has those rifles with the "magic bullets."

(I wonder if they can only be fired from grassy knolls?)

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:45 pm

Dave Brown wrote:
Barkley wrote:Can't find one with an owner's manual in English and FRENCH maybe??

- Pull trigger.
- Repeat as necessary.

This is how Google Translate does it...

- Point à cet effet méchant.
- Pull déclencher.
- Répéter au besoin.

Not sure how accurate it is?
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

danoman
Veteran Member

Postby danoman » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:59 pm

Respond Wayne wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:

- Pull trigger.
- Repeat as necessary.

This is how Google Translate does it...

- Point à cet effet méchant.
- Pull déclencher.
- Répéter au besoin.

Not sure how accurate it is?

Braquez dans la direction désirée
Appuyer sur la détente
Répéter au besoin
For everything you need to know in life, watch the Lion King and read the Da Vinci Code.

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:28 pm

danoman wrote:Braquez dans la direction désirée
Appuyer sur la détente
Répéter au besoin

Wow, so much for Google translate...

Focus in the desired direction (okay)
Press relaxation (oh baby)
Repeat as necessary (okay)

This should get Bald Man slightly aroused. :P
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)