CPS adds firepower

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.
Bruce

CPS adds firepower

Postby Bruce » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:51 pm

More than 100 Calgary police officers will be armed with new patrol rifles to counter the increasingly dangerous weapons calls they must respond to, the force said Friday.

After a study this year, the force has purchased 120 Colt C8A2 rifles with a .223-calibre round, which will be issued to 120 specially trained officers across the city.

The semi-automatic weapon was demonstrated for the media at an indoor firing range Friday.

Twelve officers have already completed the required 40-hour training course, and the rifles will begin to be utilized on Sunday, said acting Supt. Richard Hinse.

Hinse said the rifles are another tool to protect both the public and officers from criminals who are using powerful and sophisticated weapons.

As an example, he said a suspect who was arrested in a Queensland home invasion this week was wearing body armour.

"The weapons we currently have are ineffective against body armour, and the new C8 weapon that we're demonstrating here today would be able to be effective in those conditions," he said.

Calgary officers are currently armed with handguns and general issued shotguns, but the rifles will give them better range, accuracy and ease of handling and rapid reloading, said the force.
Bullet splits apart on impact

Officers have been training to shoot at a target from about 135 metres away, said Hinse.

'Any call with a weapon call, we certainly want to be as accurate as possible and be able to be as safe as possible.'—Acting Supt. Richard Hinse, Calgary Police Service

"Any call with a weapon call, we certainly want to be as accurate as possible and be able to be as safe as possible," he added.

Police said the bullet used in the new rifle does not "overpenetrate" because it splits apart on impact.

"Some weapons and rounds when they hit hard substances like wood, they can actually pick up velocity and start to move through those and then go through the next piece of drywall. This round is designed not to do that, so there is no overpenetration so it will crumble apart," explained Hinse.

The use of rifles and shotguns by officers will be evaluated over the next year.

Thirteen police agencies in Canada are using a similar type of weapon, said Hinse.

The program, including the cost of the rifles, locking devices and training, will total about $350,000.

:sniper:
"Semper in faecibus, sumus sole profundum variat"

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Re: CPS adds firepower

Postby Bitterman » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:04 pm

'Good for them... More firepower in never a bad idea,..
It also shows that the criminal use of firearms continues to grow regardless of what polititians do or want to do in the area of gun control..
I guess there's no need to issue front line TPS officers with AR's since the mayor closed down the CN pistol club...
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:08 am

"Some weapons and rounds when they hit hard substances like wood, they can actually pick up velocity and start to move through those and then go through the next piece of drywall. This round is designed not to do that, so there is no overpenetration so it will crumble apart," explained Hinse.

Pick UP velocity? Exactly HOW does a bullet experience any accelerative powers once it leaves the barrel?

Should I blame this on the public school system? Dumbing down by or for the media? Unfamiliarity with basic physics? Good grief.

Bullets may ricochet; bullets my penetrate and deflect at strange angles but bullets NEVER gain velocity.

It is like the old myth that a car when braking hard on glare ice actually seems to gain speed. It does not; it only feels like it does because the brain is not experiencing the same decelerative effect it is expecting.

If you don't believe me, ask ... oh, hell ... about a million physics or science teachers.

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:12 am

Must be that magic bullet.

Haweater
Seasoned Member

Postby Haweater » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:02 pm

Good piece of kit

Alberta Blue
Sage Member

Postby Alberta Blue » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:45 pm

They interviewed a supposed "expert" in criminology from Mount Royal College on the news today. He said that the Police do not need long guns, that it is "overkill".

What a retard. Its not like they are going to be slung over the shoulder of traffic cops at roadside. There are some serious criminals out there with serious firepower.

Mark S
Poobah Overlord

Postby Mark S » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:00 am

Dave Brown wrote:

Pick UP velocity? Exactly HOW does a bullet experience any accelerative powers once it leaves the barrel?

Should I blame this on the public school system? Dumbing down by or for the media? Unfamiliarity with basic physics? Good grief.

Bullets may ricochet; bullets my penetrate and deflect at strange angles but bullets NEVER gain velocity.

It is like the old myth that a car when braking hard on glare ice actually seems to gain speed. It does not; it only feels like it does because the brain is not experiencing the same decelerative effect it is expecting.

If you don't believe me, ask ... oh, hell ... about a million physics or science teachers.

Maybe CPS is worried that they'll have a round ricochet off some wood into a particle accelerator? Or perhaps it might deflect downwards into a very very deep vacuum chamber and will pick up velocity from the effect of gravity? Those are about the only scenarios I can think of that would accelerate a bullet outside of a barrel.
Welcome to Winnipeg. We were born here, what's your excuse?

Paul R
Seasoned Member

Postby Paul R » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:13 pm

Mark;

Don't forget about black holes in space. You never know when you'll encounter a tear in the fabric of the spacetime continuum. I suppose that's why they don't let the astronauts of the Spacestation go out on the back deck and shoot off rounds anymore.
"I'd rather have the gear and not need it, than need the gear and not have it."

Actus Reus
Grand Poobah

Postby Actus Reus » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:38 pm

Now that they've switched on that Haldron SuperCollider, the laws of physics may no longer apply. So bullets might indeed pick up speed, cats can chase dogs, rain falls upward....
For by wise counsel thou shalt wage thy war.

Alberta Blue
Sage Member

Postby Alberta Blue » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:38 pm

Actus Reus wrote:Now that they've switched on that Haldron SuperCollider, the laws of physics may no longer apply. So bullets might indeed pick up speed, cats can chase dogs, rain falls upward....

Actually the collider has been shut down for repairs. It seems there was a liquid nitrogen leak, and it will need to be shut down for about 2 months for the thing to warm up enough so that repairs can be completed.

Actus Reus
Grand Poobah

Postby Actus Reus » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:05 pm

That's what they want you to believe.
For by wise counsel thou shalt wage thy war.

Mark S
Poobah Overlord

Postby Mark S » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:18 pm

Actus Reus wrote:Now that they've switched on that Haldron SuperCollider, the laws of physics may no longer apply. So bullets might indeed pick up speed, cats can chase dogs, rain falls upward....

Sounds a lot like the island of Rand McNally, where they wear hats on their feet, and hamburgers eat people.
Welcome to Winnipeg. We were born here, what's your excuse?