Ammuntion shortages

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.
Bitterman
Rookie Member

Re: Ammuntion shortages

Postby Bitterman » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:17 pm

sunsetson wrote:Interesting and good to know. Total kit cost for 500 rds vs factory? Difference?

for 9mm I pay about $60 per thousand for 125 gr. boolits, I the powder I use (Alliant Bullseye) I pay $104 per 8lb keg. Primers are now at $22 per thousand. Brass I don't usually factor in as it's used several times over, but last time I bought once fired 9mm brass I paid $15 per thousand.
My 9mm load calls for 4.5 gr. of powder so thats about 12444 rounds per keg which works out to .0083 cents worth of powder per round.
6 cents ber boolit
2.2 cents per primer
Lets say you had to buy once fired brass at the price I last paid that's 1.5 cents...
total would be. 9.7 cents... Lets call it 10cents a round.
So a 50 round box of reloads would cost me $5.00
'Looking on the 'net I see Remmington UMC "surplus" is about $14 per 50 rounds...

.45 costs me a bit more... boolits are a bit more expensive and brass is more too...
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

sunsetson

Postby sunsetson » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:52 am

given your information, those are big savings...I'll have to look into it.

Thanks

jmears
Rookie Member

Postby jmears » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:49 pm

Dave Brown wrote:And need I say that reloads should NEVER be fired on ANY issue firearm, no matter the make or model.

Is it legal to reload and use 'home reloaded ammo' in the line of duty? I reload all my ammo as a civilian, and the question has often crossed my mind, being I am going the route to becoming a RCMP.
Best wishes, Jason
" Desire is the key to motivation, but it's determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of your goal a commitment to a excellence that will enable you to attain the success you seek". 

~Mario Andretti~

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:37 pm

Not in Ontario. Police Services act spells out no reloads, and you can use issued ammo only.
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

SPC
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby SPC » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:01 am

jmears wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:And need I say that reloads should NEVER be fired on ANY issue firearm, no matter the make or model.

Is it legal to reload and use 'home reloaded ammo' in the line of duty? I reload all my ammo as a civilian, and the question has often crossed my mind, being I am going the route to becoming a RCMP.
Best wishes, Jason

Why would you want to spend time/money reloading ammo for your DFA, when the government will issue it to you for free??
"When we act on behalf of others, we have no moral authority to forgive on their behalf, to allow evil for the sake of tolerance, or to turn the cheek of anyone but ourselves."

jmears
Rookie Member

Postby jmears » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:12 am

I was told that the RCMP had to supply their own ammo for their sidearm. Is this true? Or did I misunderstand?
" Desire is the key to motivation, but it's determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of your goal a commitment to a excellence that will enable you to attain the success you seek". 

~Mario Andretti~

SPC
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby SPC » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:03 am

jmears wrote:I was told that the RCMP had to supply their own ammo for their sidearm. Is this true? Or did I misunderstand?

:ponder:
"When we act on behalf of others, we have no moral authority to forgive on their behalf, to allow evil for the sake of tolerance, or to turn the cheek of anyone but ourselves."

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:12 pm

SPC wrote:
jmears wrote:I was told that the RCMP had to supply their own ammo for their sidearm. Is this true? Or did I misunderstand?

Does this qualify for the "Silliest quote of the week" SPC? :o
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

SPC
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby SPC » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:53 am

Respond Wayne wrote:
SPC wrote:

Does this qualify for the "Silliest quote of the week" SPC? :o

:aye:

Not only do you have to provide your own ammo, but the gun it goes in, and the yellow stripe to sew into the pants. :crazy: