Ammuntion shortages

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.
TSE JR
Rookie Member

Ammuntion shortages

Postby TSE JR » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:28 pm

I just read this:

http://www.paherald.sk.ca/index.cfm?sid=158230&sc=4 :shame:

This is simply a load of BUNK... There is NO shortage of ammo. THere is only a short sighted approach to procurement within agencies.

We get sea cans in every couple of months with .223 and other natures from Switzerland, Germany and Korea. We could ALWAYS get larger shipments to fill any order, but most dept's are stuck on their traditional supply chain and don't want to look outside the one or two places they went in the past.

That is their perogative... However, don't tell me you will pay MORE to that supplier simply because it is easier.

JR
James Cox
President / CEO
The Edge Group

The Shooting Edge (Calgary), Target Sports (Toronto) and EAR Canada

Greg W
Rookie Member

Re: Ammuntion shortages

Postby Greg W » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:44 am

I ordered .40 practice ammo early this summer for our qualifications and had to wait about a month for the supplier to get it. I was also told ithere was a shortage because of the war. I thought it kind of funny as there wasn't a problem last year. Also, I'm not aware of the military (Canadian or US) using .40's, much less practice ammo. The only reason I could think of is a shortage of raw materials and the fact that the factorys were busy making other ammo.
What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Dwight D. Eisenhower, speech to the Republican National Committee, January 31, 1958

TSE JR
Rookie Member

Postby TSE JR » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:39 pm

Actually a month is not bad. I've heard horror stories of agencies being put on hold for 6-9 months.

JR
James Cox
President / CEO
The Edge Group

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:47 pm

No problems in our area.
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

IMthePheonix
Sage Member

Postby IMthePheonix » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:57 pm

The rumor I heard was that it is not bad now for 9mm, but as the conflicts overseas drag on, it will become harder to get. It was one of the arguements used to go to .40 when we transition to Sigs in the fall.
Strippers have $1's, Waitresses have $5's, Drug dealers have $20s. Smurfette_76 on O.com

SPC
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby SPC » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:53 pm

9mm jumped from 16.95/50 rounds to 19.95/50 rounds in 5 weeks at the local hunting store where I'm from.
"When we act on behalf of others, we have no moral authority to forgive on their behalf, to allow evil for the sake of tolerance, or to turn the cheek of anyone but ourselves."

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:31 pm

I've actually begun to reload for my AR.... The price if decent factory .223/5.56 has finally made it worthwhile for me.
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

sunsetson

Postby sunsetson » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:02 am

Can't seem to get any .40 S&W for practice shooting in my area. Major gun dealer is saying there is a back order that could take weeks or months to get their order in. I am tempted to buy online / outside my province but I wanted to save on the shipping costs for "dangerous goods" which could significantly add to the total cost of the ammo I want. Looking to buy .40 S&W, 1000 rnds (new factory ammo, preferably Winchester).

Anyone out there know where I can find a good price for this?
PM me. Thanks.

TSE JR
Rookie Member

Postby TSE JR » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:54 pm

There is no "Dangerous Goods" charge for "consumer quanitiy" ammo shipments. The reason it costs $30-$40 / 1000 rds is the weight.

JR
James Cox
President / CEO
The Edge Group

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:26 pm

I use one of these for all my handgun ammo needs.

spits out 400-500 rounds an hour for just pennies a glass. Well maybe not pennies, but less than half what factory ammo costs and in my opinion better quallity than factory.
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.

sunsetson

Postby sunsetson » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:23 am

TSE JR,

I called Ellwood Epps, and they told me it would cost approx $50 extra on shipping for 1000 rds due to dangerous goods. I don't know, that's what they told me.

Bitterman,

As for reloaded ammo etc, I know a lot of people doing this but I would hate to not have the correct pressure applied, correct measurements etc and risk damaging my pistol. I heard horror stories for Glocks using reloaded ammo. I don't have one but still. I know it's cheaper this way. I am definitely looking into it. I did not realize that spit out that many in one hour.

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:01 pm

sunsetson wrote:Bitterman,

As for reloaded ammo etc, I know a lot of people doing this but I would hate to not have the correct pressure applied, correct measurements etc and risk damaging my pistol.

That's why in y'have tools like scales, calipers, case guages etc... Read a manual and be attentive to what your doing and you shouldn't have a problem. I'm borderline idiot and I've managed to reload tens of thousands of rounds both pistol and rifle cals. and have yet to damage a gun

sunsetson wrote:I heard horror stories for Glocks using reloaded ammo.

Ahhh yes the famous Glock KABOOM.... :mrgreen: I'll go with reloader error on that one. I have three Glocks two of which have never seen factory ammo... only my reloads. None of 'em has blown up yet.
Keep in mind that every gun manufacturer tells you not to use reloaded ammo... Factory only. They're just covering their ass warranty and liability wise... Also, any gun can KABOOM.

sunsetson wrote: I did not realize that spit out that many in one hour.

Yeah the only step that slows me down is refilling the primer tube... Dillon has other machines that are even faster, but the 550 suites me fine... 'Been loading .38spl., 9mm and .45 on one for about ten years.
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.

sunsetson

Postby sunsetson » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:16 pm

Interesting and good to know. Total kit cost for 500 rds vs factory? Difference?

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:45 pm

Actually, the Glock "kaboom" phenomenon is not reloader error. Although there have been some documented cases of the usual reloader errors like double-charges (which are hard to do with 9mm and .40 S&W anyway) and shooters firing with obstructed barrels, the vast majority of the Glock explosions are reloads being used in firearms that are not designed for it. When Glock says reloads are not to be used in their firearms, they are SERIOUS about it.

If your gun blows up, they will not cover it under warranty.

While there has been a lot of speculation about this phenomenon and a lot of just plain wrong information (such as a build-up of lead in the bore causing a kaboom) the answer is actually quite simple. The bottom of the chamber on a Glock is slightly more ramped than some other makes for reliability of chambering. If you combine a slightly larger unsupported area at the bottom of a chamber with brass that is slightly weakened by previous firing and then worked by resizing, on certain models it can blow out the bottom of the brass, resulting in a chamber explosion that wrecks the frame and can result in injuries, most notably when the magazine hits your toe with a great deal of force.

Do not use reloads in Glocks.

Should you CHOOSE to do so, in spite of my advice and the advice of Glock (and it is your own personal firearm,) there are a couple of things to keep in mind:

- Many cases have been documented on the .40 S&W and the .45 Auto models; almost none have ever been documented on the 9mm. (And the few that were, had some other elements that suggested it was not the traditional unsupported case explosion but rather operator error.

- Aftermarket barrels are available from a variety of quality manufacturers which ARE designed with more chamber support, and they have no problem suggesting they can be used with quality reloads.

- If you ignore our advice and do it anyway, keep in mind that there are a lot of lot variations in chamber support (and we are dealing with microscopic differences in dimensions anyway) and some firearms will never exhibit problems. Potential danger signs can be seen in the fired reload cases: there will be a slight case bulge right near the base where it sat in the six o'clock position in the chamber. If your empty cases ever exhibit even the slightest case bulge - a slightly roundish or triangular-shaped bulge about 2mm in diameter slightly above the rim - then IMMEDIATELY STOP SHOOTING. Do not use reloads, period.

I have personally witnessed one on a .45 and have seen another .45 bulge cases on almost every shot, so we knew it was only a matter of time. I have seen another .45 that never exhibited the slightest symptom and shot for years with reloads.

Again, I suggest not ever using reloads in Glocks. If it was ME, however, and my own personal firearm, I would not take a chance on a .40 or .45; I would use a good quality aftermarket barrel.

Also, don't forget that the .40 S&W cartridge is already loaded to maximum pressure loads. It is a very high pressure cartridge to begin with, and there is just not a lot of room to deal with stupid mistakes or weakened brass. This is why the .40 S&W is not available in what is known as a +P load; it is ALREADY what would be considered a "+P" load.

And need I say that reloads should NEVER be fired on ANY issue firearm, no matter the make or model.