US Supreme Court Upholds Right to Own Handguns

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.
SPC
Lord of the Poobahs

Re: US Supreme Court Upholds Right to Own Handguns

Postby SPC » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:16 pm

Actus Reus wrote: On the other hand, if you want to talk about what the US Supreme Court decision actually means, I'm all ears. For example, a close reading of Justice Scalia's majority opinion suggests that bans on carrying concealed weapons are still valid, as are prohibitions on carrying firearms in schools and public buildings, and having strict limits on gun sales.

I have no problem with any of those things.

Actus Reus wrote: Scalia - the most right wing and pro-gun of the judges - even suggests that individual states likely still have the power to impose absolute handgun bans, since all this case dealt with was the (federal) District of Columbia's ban on possession of handguns in private homes.

Not likely. If you think that after the US Supreme Court upheld the constitutional right to own handguns and overturned the DC ban, that states would be stupid enough to try to impose absolute bans, then you sir are an idiot.
"When we act on behalf of others, we have no moral authority to forgive on their behalf, to allow evil for the sake of tolerance, or to turn the cheek of anyone but ourselves."

wicked_police
Grand Poobah

Postby wicked_police » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:26 pm

I find it funny that a person in a position to eventually get a gun for work purposes is very happy to state that he is all for only the military and police(which he still won't be, or will he, there's the mysterious pm to Jim Street....) having guns.

A liberal by any other name is actus reus.

And speaking of the name.... :roll:

dira necessitas
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby dira necessitas » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:41 pm

There are a number of cops that think the same way. CO for one.
I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but let's take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

wicked_police
Grand Poobah

Postby wicked_police » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:53 pm

dira necessitas wrote:There are a number of cops that think the same way. CO for one.

There are also a number of cops that don't think that way. I'm happy to say I'm one of them.

I know enough about what goes on to know that banning the legal ownership of firearms will do nothing to lessen the incidence of crime using firearms. As has been posted already, the UK has shown that banning has done nothing to prevent crime using handguns, and instead, has shown an increase.

Can CO or Actus please explain that phenomenon?

note: rhetorical question. no answer needed, since I know that no logical, non-emotion-based reason can be given.

robbo

Postby robbo » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:55 am

All the gang bangers here aren't shooting themselves up with registered handguns... so banned or not, I don't think there would be much of a difference in those homicides...

I always thought there should be more $$ for resources to target import of illegal guns, even down to the street level investigating theft of firearms, informant or public tips, etc. I can't help but think what a difference could be made if all the registry $$ were thrown into investigations... 88)
"Most people fancy themselves innocent of those crimes of which they cannot be convicted" - Seneca

dira necessitas
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby dira necessitas » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:53 am

wicked_police wrote:
dira necessitas wrote:There are a number of cops that think the same way. CO for one.

There are also a number of cops that don't think that way. I'm happy to say I'm one of them.

The point was that everyone is entitled to their belief. Firearm laws are always a hot subject. It is as if some people think they are losing their first born when the subject comes up. I own several but I won't lose any sleep over it if they are banned. It is not my only hobby and luckily for me I have a job where I get to shoot all kinds of shit anyway. As far as where the registry money could be better spent - I could care less about that too, retirement is on the horizon and I can't wait to be done with this crap.
I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but let's take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Gipper
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Gipper » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:57 am

dira necessitas wrote:I own several but I won't lose any sleep over it if they are banned.

I own none and I would be outraged if they were banned.

Gard
King Poobah

Postby Gard » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:42 am

IrishCanadian wrote:
Gard wrote:I'd be willing to bet good money that Actus thinks awarding the Order to Morgenthaler is a great idea.

I can honestly say I don't really have a problem with it myself.

Whatever your take on abortions...how can you support a decision which causes so much renewed bitterness and division?

You should be able to name a school after any O of C winner. Henry Morgenthaler Elementary? Don't think so.

Besides, he's a pompous, arrogant ass who says that it's about time and he deserves the honour. Winners of our highest awards should be all about humility.

BTW, don't ban handguns!!
He who allows oppression, shares the crime.
26 + 6 = 1

MichaelJCaboose

Postby MichaelJCaboose » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:35 pm

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2008/07/07/guns-smuggle.
U.S. travellers carrying their personal guns into Canada: report
Crossings into B.C. account for largest percentage of gun seizures
Last Updated: Monday, July 7, 2008 | 11:42 AM ET Comments98Recommend72The Canadian Press
Americans cherish their constitutional right to keep and bear arms, even when they come to Canada, documents show.

Intelligence summaries compiled by Canada Border Services Agency show that while the agency's officers discover smuggled guns destined for the Canadian criminal underworld, most firearms they turn up belong to law-abiding Americans.

"Most of the firearms seized by CBSA at the land ports of entry are the personal firearms of legitimate U.S. travellers who neglected — intentionally or not — to declare their personal firearms," says the agency's strategic intelligence analysis division in an undated report covering the period 2004-2006.

The report, along with other previously classified monthly intelligence summaries dating back to January 2007, were obtained by the Canadian Press under the federal Access to Information Act.

Crossings into British Columbia account for the largest percentage of all gun seizures and about a third of all handguns, the agency says. A high percentage is in transit to Alaska and not intended for the illicit firearms market, the report says.

Americans travelling through Canada between Alaska and the lower 48 states, often doing seasonal work, can take their guns if they declare them.

"I can tell you right now that many people that go to Alaska and legally declare their guns declare as many as 10 or more guns," says Dan Liebel, who speaks for the Customs and Excise Union. "Now, how many don't declare them?"

Liebel, who works at a small B.C. Interior border crossing, says no records are kept on whether declared guns that arrive in Canada are actually taken out of the country again.

Border services officials declined to be interviewed by the Canadian Press.

662 guns seized in 2007
According to reports, the Canada Border Services Agency seized 662 guns in 2007, three-quarters of them handguns. Between 2004 and 2007, it confiscated 2,289 guns.

"While uncommon, we have seized handguns that are linked to [the] illicit firearms market with an organized-crime connection," the agency intelligence report says.

Firearms seizures at border points have declined steadily since 2001, says a 2006 briefing note prepared for agency president Alain Joliceur after Toronto police seized 20 U.S.-sourced guns in raids targeting the so-called Jamestown Crew gang.

The exception was 2003, when the totals spiked because customs officers in Montreal seized almost 500 rifles from a commercial shipment.

The agency intelligence summary points out that seizure statistics only record the successful interception of firearms. "It would be difficult to estimate quantities not being intercepted," the report says.

Liebel points out customs officers only inspect between one and 10 per cent of vehicles coming across the Canada-U.S. border.

"I've heard estimates in the range of we get one to three per cent of what actually is getting through, but that's just rumour," he says.

Undeclared guns found at B.C., Ont. borders
Besides B.C. border points, the agency's monthly intelligence summaries show Ontario's Niagara Falls and Fort Erie crossings routinely turn up a significant percentage undeclared and smuggled firearms.

Quebec, Maritime and Prairie entry portals aren't as busy, though all have registered major gun seizures in the last couple of years.

The rate of seizures normally peaks in the summer tourist season — June, July and August — the agency says in its 2007 year-end intelligence summary.

In an outlook for 2008 in the same document, the agency says overall trends are expected to continue this year.

"The United States will continue to be the primary source of firearm seizures because of its close proximity to Canada and the availability of firearms due to regulations that are more permissive and conducive to gun ownership," the report says.

© The Canadian Press, 2008

*sighs*
Wake up, gear up, work, go home, eat, sleep, repeat.

Actus Reus
Grand Poobah

Postby Actus Reus » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:48 am

Wicked_Police wrote:

I find it funny that a person in a position to eventually get a gun for work purposes is very happy to state that he is all for only the military and police(which he still won't be, or will he, there's the mysterious pm to Jim Street....) having guns.

A liberal by any other name is actus reus.

And speaking of the name....

While I'm flattered (ok, not flattered.....more like creeped out) that you keep such close track of my opinions and PM's on this site, my posts about handguns have been pretty consistent over the past few years, WP. I'm not going to rehash them here, except to say that while it's only my opinion and it may not be a popular one on Blueline, there's absolutely nothing contradictory about it.

As an aside, when I was in grade school, there was a kid in the special ed class down the hall who used to shout 'Wicked! Police!' every time he saw a police car drive past the building. Once in a while I wonder whatever happened to him. Maybe the mystery has been solved? :ponder:
Last edited by Actus Reus on Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
For by wise counsel thou shalt wage thy war.

KevinH
Grand Poobah

Postby KevinH » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:00 am

Actus Reus wrote:And as an aside, when I was in grade school, there was a kid in the special ed class down the hall who used to shout 'Wicked! Police!' every time he saw a police car drive past the building.

What an idiotic comment.

Maybe if people had more abortions, there would be no need for the special ed class down the hall, eh?

Actus Reus
Grand Poobah

Postby Actus Reus » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:07 am

Maybe if people had more abortions, there would be no need for the special ed class down the hall, eh?

Yikes! :popcorn:
For by wise counsel thou shalt wage thy war.

wicked_police
Grand Poobah

Postby wicked_police » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:26 am

Actus Reus wrote:While I'm flattered (ok, not flattered.....more like creeped out) that you keep such close track of my opinions and PM's on this site,

Don't flatter yourself.

I see enough of your posts in the threads I'm subscribed to(including the ones where you try to pass off knowledge of things you know nothing about, such as your own agencies arming project), that I have no desire to look at the crap you've previously spouted.

And if you want a pm to stay a secret, why bother posting in the forum that you're sending it? Do you feel that important that you must let everyone know you're sending pm's to real cops?

I've come to the conclusion that you're so full of yourself(see your quote above) and your job that the only reason you're on sites like this is to let everyone know how good you think are.

While I have a lot of respect for all LEO's and the jobs they do, you do CBSA and the good members that work there no favours by being such a joke.