US Supreme Court Upholds Right to Own Handguns

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.
RGW
Grand Poobah

Re: US Supreme Court Upholds Right to Own Handguns

Postby RGW » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:06 am

In an interesting link between abortions and violent crime.....

I was reading in a book the other day that some researchers believe there might be a link between increases in abortion and decreases in crime. Heres the wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legalized_abortion_and_crime_effect

I think it was striker who mentioned Britain's failed attempts to decrease violent crime by banning handguns. I read the other day that they are now considering a 'knife ban' to try and reduce violent cime:

"
WE have you in our sights", that's the message from police chiefs today to anyone caught carrying a knife on the region's streets.
Public concerns about the knife-carrying culture blighting UK towns and cities has led to Northumbria Police launching a safety awareness campaign – Taking Knives Off Your Streets.

The major crackdown calls for a ban on carrying all pointed weapons, including knives, in public places, with mandatory prison sentences for offenders.

There will also be a knife amnesty, stop and search operations in hotspot areas, and officers visiting schools to raise awareness.

The latest campaign has been welcomed by the mother of murdered schoolboy Glen Corner, stabbed to death in East Avenue, Harton, South Shields, as he celebrated his 16th birthday in August 2006.

Susanne Hilton joined forces with the Gazette last year, to launch our own campaign Knives Ruin Lives – to raise awareness of the dangers of carrying knives.

It was praised by then Home Office Minister Vernon Coaker and supported by South Tyneside Area Command and South Tyneside Council.

Ms Hilton, 35, said: "Northumbria Police is right to launch a campaign, It not only puts people's minds at rest, but also raises awareness of the dangers of knives. The more campaigns we have, the better. People then can't say they haven't heard anything.

"People need to realise, even if you are carrying a knife for your own protection it can be turned on you – a knife is a potential murder weapon."

While knife crime is not a significant problem in Northumbria, Chief Constable Mike Craik is calling on residents to help police keep it that way.

Throughout the campaign, hotspot areas will be targeted, a knife amnesty will be launched and anyone found carrying a knife, without good reason, will be charged and put before the courts.

Mr Craik will also continue calls for a ban on carrying all pointed weapons, including knives, in public places with mandatory prison sentences for offenders.

"Our message to offenders is clear – we have you in our sights, you will not get away with this, use the knife amnesty bins to dispose of your weapons.

"And our message to the law-abiding majority is also clear – we know you're worried, but Northumbria is a safe place. With your help, we aim to keep it that way. Our latest figures show that serious knife crime has gone down this year compared with 2007.

"It's also a fact that random attacks involving knives are unusual – in the majority of incidents, the victim and the offender know each other."

Already Northumbria Police operates a policy which means anyone caught carrying a knife will be charged, not cautioned, unless there are exceptional circumstances, and officers will always seek to charge them with the more serious offence of possession of an offensive weapon.

Chief Supt Mark Dennett, of South Tyneside Area Command, said: "In South Tyneside we do not have the same issue with knife crime as other areas of the country, however, we acknowledge public concerns and this campaign is about addressing those concerns.

"We have offenders in our sights and will be taking enforcement action.

"The force-wide drive follows on from the knife campaign ran by the Gazette last year which involved South Tyneside Area Command, South Tyneside Council and Susanne Hilton.

"We welcome campaigns such as those by the Gazette as they successfully raise public awareness on issues.

"If people are given the confidence to report incidents, become witnesses and seek help as victims, or are given reassurance through these campaigns, then they should be applauded."

Police will work with partners, including local authorities, as well as going into schools to raise awareness.

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:08 pm

I think we should make it illegal to commit criminal offences. :roll:

RDS
Rookie Member

Postby RDS » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:01 pm

The January 22, 2004 Toronto Police Services Board Minutes reported that of the 183 identified crime
guns (all types) recovered by Toronto Police, only 5 (all types) were reported as stolen.
• Lawful handguns owner obtain $5 million Liability Insurance for less than $10 per year. There have
been no claims in 40 years!
• All handguns have been registered since 1934, effectively banning them from criminal possession. The
law requires all legal owners, to possess a RCMP issued Firearms Licence and the individual handgun
must be registered with the RCMP. All Canadian police services have access to this information.
• There are currently over 1.1 million legally owned handguns in Canada (588,000 new registry, 519,000
old registry). Of these, 230,000 are registered in Ontario to 550,000 licensed firearms owners. The
average value of these handguns (including accessories) is approximately $1,000 each.
• A handgun gun ban will cost Canadian taxpayers approximately $2 Billion.
• There are 212 handgun shooting clubs licensed in the Province of Ontario (Chief Firearms Office)
• Of the 108 handguns used in Canadian homicides in 2006, only 6 (5%) were registered. In 2005, of 129
handgun homicides only 4 (3%) were registered. (Ministry of Public Safety)
• The Vancouver Police reported in their 2004 Strategic Plan Report that, “97% of the firearms (all types)
seized in crimes had never been in the Canadian system.” (VPD Strategic Plan)
• In May 2007, an Access to Information request filed by the Canadian Shooting Sports Association to the
Ontario government showed that no studies or documents had ever been done regarding a handgun ban in
Ontario.
• Of the 1,527 firearms (all types) collected by the Toronto Police Service in 2006, only 64 (4.2%) were
registered handguns. These firearms include crime guns, turn-ins and recovered guns. (Access to
Information Request)
• After a complete ban on handguns in Great Britain in 1997, handgun offences more than doubled and
injuries from handguns rose from 314 in 1997 to 1,024 in 2006 (British Home Office). Obviously, the ban
had no effect on criminal misuse of handguns. The British Olympic Team however, now has to train in
the Netherlands in order to represent their country at the Olympic and Commonwealth Games.
• On Nov 23, 2006, Chief William Blair testified to the House of Commons Standing Committee on
Justice and Human Rights, “What I think we're seeing now, in our latest work this year, is that close to
80% of the firearms we're seizing have in fact been smuggled across the border.”: (Ministry of Public
Safety)
• On Monday, January 21, 2008, Councillor Michael Walker admitted on the “Goldhawk Live” show that
“there was not a shred of evidence that banning guns from lawful owners would make the streets of
Toronto safer.”
• On January 15, 2008, Councillor Michael Thompson told the Globe and Mail. “he supports increased
penalties, but is sceptical of a handgun ban: "It is a great thing to say, but . . . the practical ability to
enforce it is impossible
• On January 15, 2008, Tony Cooper, Deputy Chief Firearms Officer of Ontario told the National Post, "I
would like to believe, and do believe, that people who take the time to take the training course, get their
licence lawfully, acquire their firearms lawfully, sign up in a gun club, by and large are the decent people
who are really trying to do things right". "And it's an anomaly when somebody goes left of centre."
• On January 17, 2008 OPP Commissioner Julian Fantino told the Hamilton Spectator, “ Finding out why
youth are turning to gangs and guns will have better results than simply banning all handguns”. “Criminals
will find guns or other weapons but society should ask, “Why is this happening?”

Statistics on how well a ban worked in Britain:
http://www.torontothebad.com/Stats/Brit ... 5-2006.pdf

Statistics on how well a ban worked in Australia:
http://www.torontothebad.com/Stats/McPh ... %20JPJ.pdf

The fact of the matter is, a handgun ban would do nothing but take them out of the hands of responsible citizens that have taken the time to take a course, join a club and do all of the paperwork involved in order to transport their firearm to their club from their house...or from their house to their gunsmith...or home from where they bought it.

Mandatory sentencing for gun crimes is a great step to try and make a criminal think twice about using one...but, as many of us know, criminals don't think.

All I know is, if they're banned, then I lose one of the hobbies I enjoy and Joe Blow Criminal will still be able to use one for reasons that I'd never even think of using one for. The numbers don't lie. Handgun bans do not work.

"At the end of the day, it is safe to say that criminals do not care about gun bans or licences," -Scotland Yard spokesman Carrie Lee.
RPAT: June 25th, 2009 - PASSED
Package Received: August 12th, 2009

Canadian Blue
King Poobah

Postby Canadian Blue » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:04 pm

Striker maybe if you started thinking about the children more you'd change your view. ;)

But I wouldn't worry about a handgun ban, if the election turns out the way I'm hoping it turns out a certain party will be shut out and the currently governing one will get a majority.

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:18 pm

Crime control not gun control
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:34 pm

Grassynarrows wrote:Crime control not gun control

Hugs not drugs.

CO

Canadian Blue
King Poobah

Postby Canadian Blue » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:02 pm

I was being sarcastic, I'm sure we've all heard the "think of the children" argument.

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:16 pm

Canadian Blue wrote:I was being sarcastic, I'm sure we've all heard the "think of the children" argument.

Popularized by Helen Lovejoy.

CO

Canadian Blue
King Poobah

Postby Canadian Blue » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:26 pm

My mistake.