Norinco pistols?

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.
Bitterman
Rookie Member

Re: Norinco pistols?

Postby Bitterman » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:44 pm

Gard wrote: To each their own.

^ Words of wisdom.. ^

Personally I'm not a big fan of Beretta's... other's love 'em.

I don't care what anyone shoots as long as they don't shoot me :D
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

wicked_police
Grand Poobah

Postby wicked_police » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:30 pm

The only Norinco I'd think of getting would be the M305. From what I've heard, they're better made than the Springfield M14's.

I'd never buy a Norc pistol though. I'll stick to Austrian, German, and American(and what ever I have to carry for work).

And as far as buying the same gun as you use at work, all the basic skills(the big 4, reloads, malfunction drills, etc) are easily transfered over from one to the other. Just don't buy a single-action 1911 thinking it'll help you with the brutal DAO trigger on your Px4.

AS someone mentioned, get a S&W M&P, or even a Glock. Both can be had at very competitive prices, and will typically go through more ammo than you'll probably want to buy. It's getting expensive lately..... :P

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:57 pm

I have yet to see a norinco firearm that impresses me.If I was to buy a practice gun for work i'd find yourself a glock or sig,I own a Glock 22. However,I have fired a norinco M14 that wasnt too bad, but far from impressive compared to my 7400 in 308. The guy using the M14 that day on the hunt had a malfunction/jam so bad he missed his deer, his M14 went south and he wound up borrowing my spare 7600 to continue hunting.I managed to fix/clear his M14 and get it working back at the camp that night. I have yet to try an M305.
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:39 pm

Bitterman wrote:Hanoi is in Vietnam, not China. Okay.. they're both red, but....
Bitt, you ARE aware that China heavily supported North Vietnam during the Vietnam war? Maybe you weren't born yet, but I was. China shipped hundreds of thousands of weapons down to North Vietnam and then "liberated" captured American weapons and returned them back up the Ho Chi Minh trail to China to reverse engineer them in their weapons factories. Their first firearms that were sold in Canada were their version of the Colt 1911 and a knockoff of the M14.

Norinco may or may not make good products but it is a fact that they would not exist in any country that enforced copyright laws.

NorthernBorder

Postby NorthernBorder » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:50 am

Hoodwinkle wrote:
NorthernBorder wrote:Thanks for the input so far. I do believe that if a price seems too good, it probably is for a reason. Since I can't buy our duty PX4 in Canada, does anyone have suggestions for A) an entry level personal shooter for someone comfortable with long guns and with big hands; B) a sales/service shop in E. Ontario? Any further thoughts are appreciated.

Buy a S&W M&P. There was a group buy in our area about 6 months ago and they were selling them in 9mm with 3 mags for $475(IIRC). Don't bother with the PX4 with extended barrel...I think they are going for $1000 give or take some change and our agency will likely switch firearms in the near future anyways.

Hoodwinkle, what part of the country are you? Sounds like you guys got a sweet deal...shoot me a PM with details if you don't mind.
"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."
- Edmund Burke

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:54 pm

Dave Brown wrote:Bitt, you ARE aware that China heavily supported North Vietnam during the Vietnam war?

Yeah.... I know plenty about the Viet Nam War. I've seen "Apocolyse Now" like seven times or so... :mrgreen:
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

talljoe
Rookie Member

Postby talljoe » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:48 am

NorthernBorder wrote:OK, so I'm starting to shop for a handgun for target shooting. Anyone have comments/experience with Norincos? Marstar in my area carries them and the price is right, but I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about quality.

Well, there's a mixed bag of replies. None really answer your question very well.

Firstly, if you drive a Japanese, or German car, or shop at Wal-Mart, the "it was copied from a dead man's gun" is a spurious argument. World trade is what it is. You gotta get used to it.

Secondly, you want to shoot targets. What targets ? What are your expectations ? What are your abilities ? Does it have to be a self loader ?

Thirdly, what is your budget ?

Fourthly, Norinco don't make anything. They do export stuff, though.

My 1911 Norinco was a well made, reasonably accurate, 100% reliable handgun. It had an awful heavy trigger pull. I was going to spend some money dressing it up but it was cheaper to swap it for an STI Spartan 45acp. The Spartan comes with adjustable rear, fibre-optic front sight, beavertail grip safety, and lots of other bells and whistles. Scary accurate and only $720. Despite the Norinco being decent, the STI is a better bet for a cheap 1911.

Norinco also import CZ, Sig, Browning and commy pistol copies. These I can't comment on.

I've only been shooting handguns since the mid sixties, so may not have seen everything. However, my suggestion, if you don't want to start with a rimfire, is a used Smith and Wesson 38/357 revolver. (I personally would start you with a 22). They have smooth d/a, and crisp s/a trigger pulls and are very accurate, out of the box. Look around, I bought a Colt "357" ( a 50 year old predeccessor of the Python) for $275, and it shoots sub inch groups at 20m with cast bullet handloads. If you must get a self loader I wouldn't advise a DAO unless you specifically want to train on something similar to your duty gun.

Your original question says "Target shooting", so if it's bullseye accuracy you want forget the Glock/M&P type of thing. Not that they can't be shot well, but why handicap yourself ?

I wouldn't buy the Norinco for the same reason.

Hope that helps.

TJ

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:38 pm

Buy yourself a Glock. :pistols:
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

El Conejo
Grand Poobah

Postby El Conejo » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:01 am

+1 on the M&P. Don't own one but sure did like shooting it.

TSE JR
Rookie Member

Postby TSE JR » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:18 pm

FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS BUY NORINCO!
James Cox
President / CEO
The Edge Group

The Shooting Edge (Calgary), Target Sports (Toronto) and EAR Canada