Norinco pistols?

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.
NorthernBorder

Norinco pistols?

Postby NorthernBorder » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:20 pm

OK, so I'm starting to shop for a handgun for target shooting. Anyone have comments/experience with Norincos? Marstar in my area carries them and the price is right, but I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about quality.
"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."
- Edmund Burke

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Norinco pistols?

Postby Dave Brown » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:20 pm

Made in China where copyright laws are weak, non-existent or there is little motivation to enforce them.

Years ago, they started by taking captured weapons (M14s, 1911s) from the Vietnam war and reverse engineering them. (Duplicating them from the end product, not from manufacturers specs.)

They have now reverse engineered many different rifles and pistols. As far as I can remember, they actually do a fairly decent job at this.

It is up to you to decide. Before long, everything we buy in the stores will come from China and everyone in North America will be standing there tsk-tsking their heads at 50% unemployment rates, wondering where we went wrong ... and then trucking off to Walmart to buy more cheap crap made in China where copyright laws don't exist and they can exploit all the cheap labour they want.

Oops. :offtopic: :offtopic:

I guess that doesn't really answer your question now, does it.

Gard
King Poobah

Postby Gard » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:29 pm

I wouldn't buy one. Wait til you have the extra cash to buy a respectable brand.
He who allows oppression, shares the crime.
26 + 6 = 1

Mister E
Rookie Member

Postby Mister E » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:19 pm

NorthernBorder wrote:OK, so I'm starting to shop for a handgun for target shooting. Anyone have comments/experience with Norincos? Marstar in my area carries them and the price is right, but I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about quality.

I've never owned one, but I've shot a couple. They're shit.
There are some things worth cheaping out on, some things that aren't. This is one of the things that ain't.

HDinMB
Rookie Member

Postby HDinMB » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:23 pm

I used to own a Norinco rifle, and have shot several Norinco handguns (mostly 1911's). They're good guns for the money but you're better off buying a domestic. If you don't mind cleaning up rough filing or dealing with crummy triggers/mags then go for it. A good alternative would be to buy one and then ship it off to Armco off in BC and get them to clean it up for you.

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:44 pm

Gard wrote:I wouldn't buy one. Wait til you have the extra cash to buy a respectable brand.

Norinco frames are known for their excellent steel. One 'smith I know uses the frames to build up high quality ipsc guns..
True... the finish on some Norincos can be a bit rough, but looks don't mean schit to me as long as the gun functions and is accurate.
Politics aside, the only reason I don't own a Norinco gun is 'cause I shoot a lot in the USA and Chinese guns are unimportable.
I owned a Norico copy of the AR for several years... 'Paid $500 for it new and it never gave me any problems. 'Sold it for $750 :mrgreen: It looked like crap... painted aluminum, but it shot 55gr boolits as accurately as any other "name brand" AR.

If you're just getting started and don't plan on taking the gun stateside I wouldn't discourage you from the Norinco line. I have many shooting buddies who own and swear by their Norc's
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:32 pm

norinco stuff is garbage
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:00 am

Just as long as you understand that before they could reverse engineer that pistol, many years ago some young kid had to die with the original version of that pistol in his hand; all alone and thousands of miles away from his home and his loved ones. They didn't go to the local Hanoi shooting supplies store to get the first pistol; they took it from someone's cold dead hands.

Or did you think they only copied the pattern from pistols and rifles that died only natural deaths of old age in their own warm beds?

NorthernBorder

Postby NorthernBorder » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:08 am

Thanks for the input so far. I do believe that if a price seems too good, it probably is for a reason. Since I can't buy our duty PX4 in Canada, does anyone have suggestions for A) an entry level personal shooter for someone comfortable with long guns and with big hands; B) a sales/service shop in E. Ontario? Any further thoughts are appreciated.
"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."
- Edmund Burke

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:42 am

Dave Brown wrote:Just as long as you understand that before they could reverse engineer that pistol, many years ago some young kid had to die with the original version of that pistol in his hand; all alone and thousands of miles away from his home and his loved ones. They didn't go to the local Hanoi shooting supplies store to get the first pistol; they took it from someone's cold dead hands.

Or did you think they only copied the pattern from pistols and rifles that died only natural deaths of old age in their own warm beds?

Wow.... 'Way to bring a downer upon a thread, but Hanoi is in Vietnam, not China. Okay.. they're both red, but....

It probably isn't just guns Norinco copies. (From Wiki)Norinco, manufactures vehicles (trucks, cars and motorcycles), machinery, optical-electronic products, oil field equipment, chemicals, light industrial products, explosives and blast materials, civil and military firearms and ammunition, etc. Norinco is also involved in domestic civil construction projects.

All that said... Most people in North America couldn't care less that their $200 running shoes were manufactured by child labourers makin' 10 cents an hour... All we care about is getting stuff cheap.
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:46 am

Grassynarrows wrote:norinco stuff is garbage

Yeah, and you'll find a lot of people who'll say the same thing about Colt :mrgreen:

That said, I've never seen a Norinco break down, but plenty of Colts. I can even recall having to lend that old garbage Norinco AR of mine to a couple guys who's Colts fell apart half way through a shoot. Very humbling for them :mrgreen:
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.

polarbear
King Poobah

Postby polarbear » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:53 am

I fired a Norinco 56S not too long ago, and it seemed to be a decent gun. It was maintained properly by the owner, and not fired very often. I cannot tell you more about it, since I only fired a couple of shots, and that was it. The owner told me that he did like that gun a lot, but that it was not a gun that he commonly took hunting with him. He said he prefered either his British .303 or his Remington 700, depending on what he was hunting for.
POLICE OFFICER

Chewie
Veteran Member

Postby Chewie » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:11 pm

NorthernBorder wrote:Since I can't buy our duty PX4 in Canada...

Actually, you can. Someone is now offering the Storm with an aftermarket barrel for sale in the Canadian market, but it costs over a grand.
Don't do what Donny Don't does.

Gard
King Poobah

Postby Gard » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:20 pm

Bitterman wrote:
Grassynarrows wrote:norinco stuff is garbage

Yeah, and you'll find a lot of people who'll say the same thing about Colt :mrgreen:

And you'll find a lot of people who say the same thing about Glocks. I prefer not to spend my money on Norinco pistols. I own North American and German pistols and I've never had one "fall apart" on me. To each their own.
He who allows oppression, shares the crime.
26 + 6 = 1