pistols...competition/target practice

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.
sunsetson

pistols...competition/target practice

Postby sunsetson » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:32 am

In terms of power and accuracy,and look and feel, which pistol do you prefer and why?

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Re: pistols...competition/target practice

Postby Bald Man » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:27 pm

sunsetson wrote:In terms of power and accuracy,and look and feel, which pistol do you prefer and why?

I'm a traditionalist in many ways so I prefer one of my revolvers, a S&W model 29 .44 Magnum with 6" barrel and original walnut grips. Classic looking revolver a la Dirty Harry with a lot of power and accuracy. Lots of fun to shoot too.

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:55 pm

For PPC I'm a revolver guy.. A tricked out heavy barrel DAO S&W 10, a stock S&W 15 for Service matches and an Airweight for snub matches.
Everything else I go with my Glock 17 or .45 1911.... More often the 1911.
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:27 pm

Glock 22
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

HDinMB
Rookie Member

Postby HDinMB » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:19 pm

Whatever fits the hand well in my opinion. I personally find my H&K USP very comfortable, albeit a bit blocky and large, and opted for the .45acp model for reasons of accuracy, reduced recoil (push vs. snap), and brass life. It's a two-tone model and looks dead sexy. I use it for general target practice and for some CDPA/IDPA action shooting.

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:31 pm

Grassynarrows wrote:Glock 22

What about your little 229? I prefer the newer Sigs with the DAK trigger, otherwise for pistols I also like my G-22.

sunsetson

Postby sunsetson » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:45 am

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

It's going to be a difficult decision for me...as I have not shot with some of these yet. If you have never shot a type of firearm, what do you suggest? Should I just ask around or go to a club and ask to try some of these out?

sunsetson

Postby sunsetson » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:26 am

I have used the Sig Sauer P226 but like the .40 S&W and Glock 22. Just unsure about precision vsw practical

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:28 am

sunsetson wrote:I have used the Sig Sauer P226 but like the .40 S&W and Glock 22. Just unsure about precision vsw practical

Your 226 is perfect. Unless you don't like Sig's and or just prefer Glocks or what ever, keep what you have.

HDinMB
Rookie Member

Postby HDinMB » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:18 pm

If you're new to shooting, I recommend starting with a .22lr handgun. My first handgun was a Ruger 22/45 Mk. III purchased brand new through Wholesale Sports for $310. I originally had a Walther P22, but that damn thing kept ejecting brass into my face so I exchanged it for the Ruger. Starting with a .22 will allow you to get used to shooting without having to worry about recoil. Shooting a .22 accurately is easy, shooting a .40S&W is harder (when starting out, you'll probably flinch, focus too much on the target and not on the front sight, have poor technique, etc.) Having a .22 allows you to develop these skills. Having said that, I don't believe any force starts recruits on .22s and they seem to do just fine. The problem with that is that police forces can afford thousands of rounds to train recruits with. By comparison, 50 rounds of factory .45acp are about $20, 500 rounds of .22lr are round the $15 mark. You can get the best of both worlds by getting a Glock 17 or 22 (9mm or .40S&W), and then getting a .22lr conversion kit that allows you to switch between 9mm/.40S&W and .22lr by changing the slide assemblies and mags. You can easily swap back and forth in a matter of seconds.

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:27 pm

HDinMB wrote:If you're new to shooting, I recommend starting with a .22lr handgun.

Aaaaarrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhh... I F***ing hate that piece of advice!!!! :mrgreen: :D

The only thing .22's have over other cals. is cost. Ammo is cheap, but all you can really do is plink or shoot bullseye and rimfire silohette matches.
If you wanna get into any other type of competitive shooting you're gonna have to get at least a 9mm.
Okay... go ahead and crucify me for saying it, but I have 4 .22 pistols and can't remember the last time I used 'em other than when taking hot chicks or my kids shooting. :mrgreen:
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

HDinMB
Rookie Member

Postby HDinMB » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:28 am

I knew that would irk someone 8) . For what it's worth I sold my Ruger for a Tanfoglio Force in .22lr. I got bored with that after about a month and sold it. I only have my HK USP because, like you said, .22s don't hold my attention long enough. That, and I don't want to lose my 5 year ATT, good for all ranges and border crossing in Manitoba, by getting another restricted. I have a soon to be modded 10/22 that I take indoors when I have a hankering for some low cost low recoil fun.

But, a .22 is not as intimidating to new shooters and being cheap doesn't hurt either. Get the best of both worlds and get a Glock and an Advantage Arms .22 conversion kit.

Now we need a bear defense thread. :smirk:

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:44 am

I love my 229 too,but i can't use it for competition shooting
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

sunsetson

Postby sunsetson » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:05 am

thanks for the advice...

when you're used to shooting P226 (which I like) it's hard to go to .22. I prefer 9mm or .40. Many PSO/LEO I have spoken to are using the 9mm or .40 eg. conservation officers etc but I was not sure if .40 would be practical for competive shooting.

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:05 pm

40 is great for comp shooting if you are shooting on steel plates it knocks them down good.