OPG Security Getting Armed???

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.
dusty
Grand Poobah

Re: OPG Security Getting Armed???

Postby dusty » Sat May 31, 2008 3:08 pm

You're asking two completely different questions, and the answer to each one is very obvious. It only makes sense that they would have an advantage operating in the facility that they constantly train in. In regards to the training question, of course training prepares tac teams for the real world, however, all the training in the world cannot beat training combined with experience when it comes to real life scenarios.
I personally did it for the money and the glory... my disappointment was tempered by the fact that I got a gun and a fast car-VanB

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Sat May 31, 2008 7:13 pm

I'm sure the presence of these well armed high-speed-low-drag teams serve well as a deterrent.
Perhaps those looking to do evil will think twice about messing with a power station and look towards softer targets like schools, libraries, sports stadiums or water treatment plants.
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Sat May 31, 2008 9:08 pm

Bitterman wrote:I'm sure the presence of these well armed high-speed-low-drag teams serve well as a deterrent.
Perhaps those looking to do evil will think twice about messing with a power station and look towards softer targets like schools, libraries, sports stadiums or water treatment plants.

No one is saying the they don't serve as a deterent, and that they are probably capable and compentent in their roles. What we are saying, is that we shouldn't confuse how they (Bruce et al) perform at Games/Competitions, with how they MAY perform in real life. LAPD, TPS etc have all proven their capabilities in the real world were it actually counts.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:19 am

Not that anyone has said it here, but Durham is still protecting OPG for the long haul. It's going to take some time for the in house service to be up and running. You can bet on that in house service also being staffed mostly by ex-DRPS members as they know the entire facility and already have the training.
I'm sure there are lots of people there who have been in NSD for years and have zero interest in returning to the road. Many will probably take a handsome buyout package and turn in their tin for staying on site.

I'm curious as to whether or not the in house security will be allowed to carry firearms off OPG property?

:pistols: Also you can bet on this, we have a mutual defense agreement with the USA. If anything happens at the nuke plant the Americans will be crossing the border. It actually takes half the time for American fighter jets to cross lake Ontario as it does for CF-18's to come from CFB Trenton. I'm not too sure I'd want to be around when the Blackhawk's arrive looking for any movement on the ground. :sniper:

Jeff

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:09 am

An officer with us worked at Chalk River. They did carry off site for work related reasons such as transporting certain materials.

Homer
Rookie Member

Postby Homer » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:55 pm

Jeff wrote:Not that anyone has said it here, but Durham is still protecting OPG for the long haul. It's going to take some time for the in house service to be up and running. You can bet on that in house service also being staffed mostly by ex-DRPS members as they know the entire facility and already have the training.
I'm sure there are lots of people there who have been in NSD for years and have zero interest in returning to the road. Many will probably take a handsome buyout package and turn in their tin for staying on site.

I'm curious as to whether or not the in house security will be allowed to carry firearms off OPG property?

:pistols: Also you can bet on this, we have a mutual defense agreement with the USA. If anything happens at the nuke plant the Americans will be crossing the border. It actually takes half the time for American fighter jets to cross lake Ontario as it does for CF-18's to come from CFB Trenton. I'm not too sure I'd want to be around when the Blackhawk's arrive looking for any movement on the ground. :sniper:

Jeff

As was mentioned earlier (and a matter of public record), the contract with DRPS expires at the end of 2012. After that point, OPG must have its own NRT up and running - one way or another. The new NRT members will be using pretty much the exact same equipment - all of it - as the current DRPS-staffed NRT. The biggest difference is that OPG will need to supply all of the training and directly employ all NRT members. Some of those will be current NRT members, some will be from other police or military organizations and some will be internal applicants from the Nuclear Security Officer ranks (many of whom have police, military or corrections backgrounds). I would not take any bets on what the final makeup will be. I figure that many of the current team members will not want to give up their badge, especially when it will amount to a significant pay cut from what they currently pull in (OPG NRT, after all, will not be eligible for Paid Duty). For those worried about the price of electricity, it will be much more cost-effective for OPG to have their own NRT.
"They have the Internet on computers now!"

Actus Reus
Grand Poobah

Postby Actus Reus » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:06 am

Actually, CF-18's are operationally deployed to Trenton from time to time, especially whenever the North American national security threat level is raised. It takes them something like 12 minutes to be over downtown Toronto, from a cold start.
For by wise counsel thou shalt wage thy war.

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:45 am

Jeff wrote:Not that anyone has said it here, but Durham is still protecting OPG for the long haul. It's going to take some time for the in house service to be up and running. You can bet on that in house service also being staffed mostly by ex-DRPS members as they know the entire facility and already have the training.

Jeff

Nope saw this on workopolis http://www.workopolis.com/EN/job/9924857

Ontario Power Generation
NUCLEAR RESPONSE FORCE SUPERVISOR
Job Type: Full Time
Job Category: Law Enforcement, Securities, Supervisor
Industry: Utilities/Gas/Electric
Year(s) of Experience: all
Number Of Positions:
Salary:
Post Date: May 30, 2008

www.mypowercareer.com

Proud to be one of Canada's Top 100Employers, Ontario Power Generation is an Ontario-based company whose principal business is the generation and sale of electricity. Our focus is on the efficient production and sale of electricity from our generation assets, while operating in a safe, open and environmentally responsible manner.

NUCLEAR RESPONSE FORCE SUPERVISOR

Working on a rotating shift basis at our Pickering or Darlington location, you will supervise tactically trained Nuclear Security Officers, and oversee Nuclear Response Force operations, ensuring compliance with applicable regulations, policies and procedures. Your 2 years of post-secondary education in Police Foundations or Law and Security Administration are combined with 4-plus years (or 6-plus years in lieu of stated education) of experience within a civilian police force, military or comparable security environment, including at least 2years in a direct supervisory capacity and prior operational experience in tactical emergency response operations. In addition to first aid and CPR certificates, you must hold a valid driver's licence, and be able to obtain and maintain a valid firearms possession and acquisition licence with restricted privileges. This position requires the ability to successfully pass fitness, psychological and medical testing, and obtain a level II nuclear security clearance.

We offer a competitive salary and benefits package and an environment that supports professional development and recognizes achievements. You must be eligible to work in Canada. If you are ready for this challenge, please apply online at www.mypowercareer.com no later than

June 16, 2008.

OPG thanks all those who apply, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. OPG supports the principles and practices of diversity.

ONTARIOPOWER

GENERATION

Looks like they are starting the process of taking things inhouse. Also there was a posting for NSO's that expired yesterday.

Actus Reus
Grand Poobah

Postby Actus Reus » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:23 pm

Perhaps when there's a security threat. But they're based out of Bagotville and Cold Lake. I'm pretty confident of that.....seeing as I was in the army.

Yes, they're based out of Bagotville and Cold Lake, but they still get deployed to Trenton, Comox, Whitehorse, Iqaluit, etc. from time to time. I'm pretty confident of that...seeing as how I sat in one at Trenton a few years ago.

:D

Alberta Blue
Sage Member

Postby Alberta Blue » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:50 pm

OPPAux wrote::ponder: Did you guys miss my post?

I saw it OPPAux :wave:

Those guys are too busy :swords:

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:44 am

those jobs sound like a good go.
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

Canadian Blue
King Poobah

Postby Canadian Blue » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:15 am

I worked at Cold Lake during Ex Maple Flag and the only two places with CF-18's.

As for Black Hawks coming to Canada and mowing down people, I don't think it'll ever happen. That has international incident written all over it.

Actus Reus
Grand Poobah

Postby Actus Reus » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:14 pm

ok, let's clear this up once and for all. Here is an excerpt from a government document dealing with operations at CFB Trenton:

8 Wing Trenton's mission support activity involves providing flexible airlift forces and training operations, Search and Rescue operations, and CF18 Quick Reaction Alert deployments. The Airlift Capability Project (ACP) - Strategic, Tactical, and Fixed Wing Search and Rescue - will be based out of 8 Wing Trenton, Ontario.

http://www.ceaa-acee.gc.ca/050/Viewer_e.cfm?CEAR_ID=38021&ForceNOC=Y

So, yes, you will see CF18's operational at CFB Trenton (and other airstrips) whenever the need for a combat air patrol exists (eg, 9/11, Olympics, SuperBowl in Detroit, etc)

seabas
Grand Poobah

Postby seabas » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:58 pm

Actus Reus wrote:ok, let's clear this up once and for all. Here is an excerpt from a government document dealing with operations at CFB Trenton:

8 Wing Trenton's mission support activity involves providing flexible airlift forces and training operations, Search and Rescue operations, and CF18 Quick Reaction Alert deployments. The Airlift Capability Project (ACP) - Strategic, Tactical, and Fixed Wing Search and Rescue - will be based out of 8 Wing Trenton, Ontario.

http://www.ceaa-acee.gc.ca/050/Viewer_e.cfm?CEAR_ID=38021&ForceNOC=Y

So, yes, you will see CF18's operational at CFB Trenton (and other airstrips) whenever the need for a combat air patrol exists (eg, 9/11, Olympics, SuperBowl in Detroit, etc)

Good for you...want a cookie. Just leave it be; you're right, they're wrong, move on...
Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you to their level and beat you with experience.

Actus Reus
Grand Poobah

Postby Actus Reus » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:36 pm

Don't blame me, blame OPPAUx and his picture of the pretty fighter plane....nothing derails a thread faster than posting a picture of a hottie or a cool toy, or (preferably) both.