OPG Security Getting Armed???

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.
MLEO9915
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:00 pm
Contact:

Re: OPG Security Getting Armed???

Postby MLEO9915 » Thu May 29, 2008 3:24 pm

Nothing cool about making fun of the "Short bus" either...but if you don't like it I'll get rid of it. :)
:)

Semper Fi
Regular Member
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:33 am
Contact:

Re: OPG Security Getting Armed???

Postby Semper Fi » Thu May 29, 2008 3:27 pm

michael15 wrote:Just tuggen your privates brother.


Aww...how sweet. That's what great about Mike...he's always willing to lend-a-hand.

User avatar
Apollo
Lord of the Poobahs
Posts: 1260
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:14 pm
Contact:

Re: OPG Security Getting Armed???

Postby Apollo » Thu May 29, 2008 3:29 pm

I'm a team player, that's all.

MLEO9915
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:00 pm
Contact:

Re: OPG Security Getting Armed???

Postby MLEO9915 » Thu May 29, 2008 3:48 pm

OntarioFiveOh wrote:
MLEO9915 wrote:Nothing cool about making fun of the "Short bus" either...but if you don't like it I'll get rid of it. :)


The short bus is a cartoon. You have no idea if someone actually burned in that cruiser or not (unless you were in North Bay when it happened.) Thankfully, nobody did.


Good point. Never thought of that
:)

User avatar
Bitterman
Rookie Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:09 pm
Contact:

Re: OPG Security Getting Armed???

Postby Bitterman » Thu May 29, 2008 4:02 pm

OPPhopeful wrote:Just along the same topic, Bruce Power just recently won the US National SWAT Championships.

http://www.nationalswatchampionships.com/



Yeah... And they'll likey take most of the awards at The CLEF games June 11th.
I'll be there trying to keep a medal or two away from them, but.... I ain't countin' on it :mrgreen:

OPG was going to build a training facility in Port Dover... Converting an obsolete power plant property with firing ranges et al, but I believe the plan was shot down by council due to objections from local residents. Fear of stay bullets and noise from gunfire were cited as concerns...
'Heard about it on some CBC radio program.
'Not sure what their plans are now for training their team(s)
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

User avatar
CourtOfficer
Site Admin
Posts: 6039
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2001 1:01 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: OPG Security Getting Armed???

Postby CourtOfficer » Thu May 29, 2008 9:03 pm

Probably why Bruce Power is dominating in the SWAT challenges.


Because they have nothing else to do but train for something that will never happen. Police TAC teams aren't out there doing scenarios all day, they're often out doing real tactical Police work.

There are many people who can clean up smacking balls at the driving range but can't play a real round of golf.

CO

User avatar
Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs
Posts: 1240
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:12 am

Re: OPG Security Getting Armed???

Postby Bald Man » Thu May 29, 2008 9:29 pm

CourtOfficer wrote:
Probably why Bruce Power is dominating in the SWAT challenges.


Because they have nothing else to do but train for something that will never happen. Police TAC teams aren't out there doing scenarios all day, they're often out doing real tactical Police work.

There are many people who can clean up smacking balls at the driving range but can't play a real round of golf.

CO


I do think some Nuc security personel would still be more experienced because of their special forces backgrounds which no police SWAT teams can top. Kinda like compairing an NHL allstar team to a girls hockey team. Who's going to be better? JTF guys bring a lot of experience/knowledge with their special forces training and actual combat experience. We have have a number of ex JTF2 guys on our tac team. You hear from others how much more skilled and trained they are.

Anyway, at the end of the day, I agree they should be top because obviously all they do is train for something they will probably never happen. Still good to know they are good at what they do.

User avatar
CourtOfficer
Site Admin
Posts: 6039
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2001 1:01 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: OPG Security Getting Armed???

Postby CourtOfficer » Thu May 29, 2008 11:07 pm

I do think some Nuc security personel would still be more experienced because of their special forces backgrounds which no police SWAT teams can top.


How do you know? You know the military service of all serving Police tac members?

CO

User avatar
Bitterman
Rookie Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:09 pm
Contact:

Re: OPG Security Getting Armed???

Postby Bitterman » Thu May 29, 2008 11:45 pm

Casey Jones wrote:
Bitterman wrote:OPG was going to build a training facility in Port Dover... Converting an obsolete power plant property with firing ranges et al, but I believe the plan was shot down by council due to objections from local residents. Fear of stay bullets and noise from gunfire were cited as concerns...
'Heard about it on some CBC radio program.
'Not sure what their plans are now for training their team(s)


port hope, actually..



I sit corrected... I knew it was "port" sumthin' :mrgreen:
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

User avatar
Bitterman
Rookie Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:09 pm
Contact:

Re: OPG Security Getting Armed???

Postby Bitterman » Thu May 29, 2008 11:57 pm

Striker wrote:I think it's great they get the support from their employer to attend all these different competitions..
My agency wouldn't provide squat for 2 of our guys to attend CLEf last year.


Yeah, same here. I don't even ask anymore. If I wasn't already off anyway I'd book sick and go... So in that case they'd be supporting me I guess :D
We have our share of baseball, hockey. golf tournaments and charity BBQ's which in a round about way get subsidized by the org., but if I were to ask for time off/ money/ a vehicle to attend a shooting comp. I have the feeling I'd get turned down summarily. Not politically correct y'know... ;)
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

User avatar
48highlander
Rookie Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:44 am
Location: Kabul

Re: OPG Security Getting Armed???

Postby 48highlander » Fri May 30, 2008 7:23 pm

CourtOfficer wrote:
Probably why Bruce Power is dominating in the SWAT challenges.


Because they have nothing else to do but train for something that will never happen. Police TAC teams aren't out there doing scenarios all day, they're often out doing real tactical Police work.

There are many people who can clean up smacking balls at the driving range but can't play a real round of golf.

CO


Exactly, which was pointed out (by me) in another thread on similar topic, about one these SWAT challenge games, the teams who took all the top honours were Bruce, DOE etc., whereas actual police Tac teams were lower down the list (LAPD,TPS). Now props to the Bruce et al. for kicking butt, but as of yet these guys haven't been put to the test in the real world. Some individuals on these teams MAY have real world experience (ie those who are ex-police, ex-military), but the teams working as a cohesive unit have ZERO real world experience. So if it ever came to somthing happening for real, I would put my money on the teams that have the experience in the REAL world.

My 2 pennies.

dusty
Grand Poobah
Posts: 624
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Re: OPG Security Getting Armed???

Postby dusty » Sat May 31, 2008 9:21 am

Ditto to what 48th and CO posted. Not to take away from bruce nuclears acheivements, but the real challenge is in real world scenarios that don't involve referees and second try's.
I personally did it for the money and the glory... my disappointment was tempered by the fact that I got a gun and a fast car-VanB

User avatar
MLEO
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:24 pm
Location: Ontario
Contact:

Re: OPG Security Getting Armed???

Postby MLEO » Sat May 31, 2008 1:40 pm

48highlander wrote:
CourtOfficer wrote:
Probably why Bruce Power is dominating in the SWAT challenges.


Because they have nothing else to do but train for something that will never happen. Police TAC teams aren't out there doing scenarios all day, they're often out doing real tactical Police work.

There are many people who can clean up smacking balls at the driving range but can't play a real round of golf.

CO


Exactly, which was pointed out (by me) in another thread on similar topic, about one these SWAT challenge games, the teams who took all the top honours were Bruce, DOE etc., whereas actual police Tac teams were lower down the list (LAPD,TPS). Now props to the Bruce et al. for kicking butt, but as of yet these guys haven't been put to the test in the real world. Some individuals on these teams MAY have real world experience (ie those who are ex-police, ex-military), but the teams working as a cohesive unit have ZERO real world experience. So if it ever came to somthing happening for real, I would put my money on the teams that have the experience in the REAL world.
My 2 pennies.



Just playing Devils Advocate here,

If these Nuc Tac teams train in their respective environment for any and all terrorist scenarios (i.e. Hostage situations, bomb defusal etc...) and all they do is train so their actions become second nature, while having the benefit of knowing the layout of the facility....would you say that they still aren't better prepared than the local services ETF/TSU?

While nothing can beat "real" world experience, doesn't training prepare "real" Tac Teams for the "real" world?
The "new" MLEO


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests