OPG Security Getting Armed???

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.
MLEO9915
Rookie Member

OPG Security Getting Armed???

Postby MLEO9915 » Thu May 29, 2008 10:31 am

I know it's kind of old news, but I just recently heard this. Apparently the police tactical teams are being pulled out of the 2 nuclear plants in Durham and the security guards there will be armed.

http://www.thestar.com/News/article/244592

Just wondering what everyones opinion on this is??

Does anyone on here work for Ontario Power Generation security? What do you think of this?

What type of firearms are they getting? Just pistols or assault rifles?

I know they have higher testing standards than say "mall security" but personally think they're gonna have a lot people show up that couldn't cut it as a cop but want to get their gun. Totally the wrong reason to do that job... which is sad.
:)

Apollo
Lord of the Poobahs

Re: OPG Security Getting Armed???

Postby Apollo » Thu May 29, 2008 11:22 am

MLEO9915 wrote:I know it's kind of old news, but I just recently heard this. Apparently the police tactical teams are being pulled out of the 2 nuclear plants in Durham and the security guards there will be armed.

Does anyone on here work for Ontario Power Generation security? What do you think of this?

I know they have higher testing standards than say "mall security" but personally think they're gonna have a lot people show up that couldn't cut it as a cop but want to get their gun. Totally the wrong reason to do that job... which is sad.

Are you kidding me? There are guys who are cops that go and try out to get on these nuclear tac teams. And the testing is more physical demanding than any police physical I know of.

They get paid 70k to play with the best toys in Canada. One nuclear tac team in Canada was ranked top 5 in the world the last three years.

Blueline Magazine did an article on these guys, which I have lying around somewhere.
Last edited by Apollo on Thu May 29, 2008 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Apollo
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Apollo » Thu May 29, 2008 11:33 am

There's many threads on these guys and girls.

The only thing is I think this job would get a little boring after a while.

MLEO9915
Rookie Member

Postby MLEO9915 » Thu May 29, 2008 12:05 pm

I guess I have more reading up to do on the Nuke teams. I didn't think it was that glorious of a job....guess i was wrong. Oh well

MLEO9915
Rookie Member

Postby MLEO9915 » Thu May 29, 2008 12:08 pm

Any links on that tac team you mentioned?

OPPhopeful
Rookie Member

Postby OPPhopeful » Thu May 29, 2008 1:04 pm

Just along the same topic, Bruce Power just recently won the US National SWAT Championships.

http://www.nationalswatchampionships.com/

Bruce Power turned in a dominant performance in capturing top prize at the U.S. National SWAT (Special Weapons and Tactical) Championships in Castle Rock, Colorado.

“It was as close to a flawless performance as possible,” said John Latouf, coach for the Bruce Power team. It was the first time a Canadian tactical team has won a championship in international SWAT competition.

The SWAT Championships, which ran last Thursday and Friday, drew 30 teams from four countries and included eight events testing physical fitness and marksmanship. Bruce Power took first overall in three of the eight events, including the Carbine Crunch, which sent the officers through an obstacle course before they fired their rifles around and over an eight-foot barricade.

“People watched them do the Carbine Crunch and said ‘That can’t be humanly possible’,” said Wade Lacroix, Head of Security for Bruce Power in praising the officers, who finished the event in two minutes and 49 seconds. The median time was nearly six minutes.

Other events included:
• Countersniper Challenge saw an officer run up and down a course and then hit targets more than 250 yards away.
• The Glock Pistol Relay, which required officers to run with 110- pound weights and then hit targets.
• The Bus Assault, where they had to pick off targets in a school bus and rescue dummies inside.
• Shield Assault, where officers had to hit targets while crouched behind portable metal shields. Referees docked the officers if they missed a target or dropped the shield.

Bruce Power’s team was comprised of six members and two alternates. They are: Brent MacMillan, Andrew Sopkowe, Greg Simmons, Ken Wright, Jordan MacDougall, Darryl White, Eric Anderson and Ben Nevin. There will be little in the way of down time for the Bruce Power team as they prepare for the Security Protection Officer Training Competition (SPOTC) next week in Albuquerque, New Mexico, where they are defending champions in the Law Enforcement- Category.

Bruce Power took the top prize in the 30-team competition.

http://www.brucepower.com/uc/GetDocumen ... docid=2623
Applied OPP: Oct 14, 2008
Interview: December 10, 2008
Psych Eval: January 16, 2009
Med/Uni/Fngrprnt: January 17, 2009
BGI: Started January 29, 2009
Home Visit: February 04, 2009
Offer of Hire: March 16, 2009

Semper Fi

Postby Semper Fi » Thu May 29, 2008 1:46 pm

MLEO9915 wrote:Just wondering what everyones opinion on this is??

No doubt, an opinion formed from your 'extensive' experience as a student BSO.

OPPAux wrote:They have frequently done well. Must be all that training from NOTHING ELSE TO DO.

I wouldn't call providing site security for a prime terror target 'NOTHING ELSE TO DO'.

MLEO9915
Rookie Member

Postby MLEO9915 » Thu May 29, 2008 2:50 pm

Semper Fi wrote:
MLEO9915 wrote:Just wondering what everyones opinion on this is??

No doubt, an opinion formed from your 'extensive' experience as a student BSO.

OPPAux wrote:They have frequently done well. Must be all that training from NOTHING ELSE TO DO.

I wouldn't call providing site security for a prime terror target 'NOTHING ELSE TO DO'.

Yep all that experience I gained in 4 months, three years ago at the world's slowest airport....

Hey bud! I wasn't trying to bash anyone nor put anyone in the security business down and I already mentioned that I didn't know enough about the subject. That's why I'm on here, to learn more. And what does my opinion have to do with the CBSA?? ...Nothing.

Thanks to all who gave a serious comment :D

Semper Fi

Postby Semper Fi » Thu May 29, 2008 2:51 pm

OPPAux wrote:
Semper Fi wrote:

It was a tongue in cheek comment, but really on a day to day basis, do they get frequent attempts to break into the facility, security breaches, unwanted persons, etc.? What do they do hour to hour? I can see a ton of training and keeping up to speed, but as for actual day to day duties I'd think they'd be relatively idle. I also don't have any problem whatsoever with a heavily armed, highly trained unit guarding our nukes, for the record.

Surveillance Detection
Counter-Surveillance
Attack Recognition
Red Team Exercises
Threat, Risk, Vulnerability Assessments
Contingency Planning/Countering/Mitigating Vulnerabilities
Access Control Teams
Counter-Assault Teams
Ect...

I could go on with plenty more and/or provide a breakdown of the steps involved with each term that I've listed, but I think I've made the point...that there is a tremendous amount of work (when done right) that goes into protecting a 'high value target'.

*Edit: Spelling
Last edited by Semper Fi on Sat May 31, 2008 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Thu May 29, 2008 2:57 pm

I don't thing police have any buisness providing security at power plants. Arm and train their own inhouse armed security response teams is the best way. Case in Point Bruce Power, Chalk River. Many of these security units are comprised of ex-military or JTF2 assaulters. Probably why Bruce Power is dominating in the SWAT challenges.

dira necessitas
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby dira necessitas » Thu May 29, 2008 2:58 pm

Personally if I was in charge of something that required a SWAT or NRT type section I wouldn't want them doing anything else except training and being ready to deploy. What a waste if they were hampered with file paperwork and other mundane duties outside of their training.

Part time ERT, IMHO, is not the way to go if a full time team is viable. Part time anything cannot develop expertise and skills and maintain them consistantly. If how well the NRT does at those competitions is any indication then I would have to say that what ever they are doing, it is the right thing.
I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but let's take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Apollo
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Apollo » Thu May 29, 2008 3:03 pm

MLEO9915 wrote:I know it's kind of old news, but I just recently heard this. Apparently the police tactical teams are being pulled out of the 2 nuclear plants in Durham and the security guards there will be armed.

What the hell are you trying to say about mall security you punk. One of the greatest jobs I've ever had. While your cuffs were collecting dust in your CBSA belt, mine were on some shit head. :P Seriously though, it was probably one of the greatest experiences I've gotten thus far. I left there with a great deal of knowledge and contacts. Don't knock other peoples jobs rook.

MLEO9915
Rookie Member

Postby MLEO9915 » Thu May 29, 2008 3:09 pm

michael15 wrote:
What the hell are you trying to say about mall security you punk. One of the greatest jobs I've ever had. While your cuffs were collecting dust in your CBSA belt, mine were on some shit head. :P Seriously though, it was probably one of the greatest experiences I've gotten thus far. I left there with a great deal of knowledge and contacts. Don't knock other peoples jobs rook.

Hey If people would read the whole forum, not just the first post, they would see I'm not trying to knock anyones job. And by the way I've done security too. I'm just saying the training you get in security jobs that I''ve had wouldn't suffice to securing a Nuke plant.

Apollo
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Apollo » Thu May 29, 2008 3:14 pm

MLEO9915 wrote:
michael15 wrote:

Hey If people would read the whole forum, not just the first post, they would see I'm not trying to knock anyones job. And by the way I've done security too. I'm just saying the training you get in security jobs that I''ve had wouldn't suffice to securing a Nuke plant.

haha I would have to say that you're right and could obviously not compare the two. Just tuggen your privates brother.

MLEO9915
Rookie Member

Postby MLEO9915 » Thu May 29, 2008 3:19 pm

michael15 wrote:
MLEO9915 wrote:
michael15 wrote:

haha I would have to say that you're right and could obviously not compare the two. Just tuggen your privates brother.

Alright just wanted to get that cleared up...not trying to make any enemies on here. :D