Online Taser POLL

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.
User avatar
HwyBear
Moderator
Posts: 993
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:28 pm
Location: Ontario
Contact:

Online Taser POLL

Postby HwyBear » Wed May 14, 2008 6:07 am

There is a one question poll that I would like you to weigh in on today:
"Do you think police should keep using TASER ECDs?"

Vote at:
http://www.cbc.ca/bc/news/yourstory/fea ... asers.html
Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. Your normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop-heart. Make the bastard chase you. He will follow"

User avatar
seabas
Grand Poobah
Posts: 923
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:22 pm
Contact:

Re: Online Taser POLL

Postby seabas » Wed May 14, 2008 12:44 pm

80% for the retention of Tazers...on the CBC website!!!! I'm shocked
Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you to their level and beat you with experience.

User avatar
Mailman
Rookie Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:28 am
Location: H Division
Contact:

Re: Online Taser POLL

Postby Mailman » Wed May 14, 2008 1:12 pm

Comes down to the fact that you only hear the squeaky wheel

User avatar
Toonces
King Poobah
Posts: 1889
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:51 pm
Contact:

Re: Online Taser POLL

Postby Toonces » Wed May 14, 2008 2:43 pm

seabas wrote:80% for the retention of Tazers...on the CBC website!!!! I'm shocked
They haven't figured out a way to censor the responses yet.
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.

User avatar
th
Veteran Member
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:50 pm
Location: British Paraguay
Contact:

Re: Online Taser POLL

Postby th » Wed May 14, 2008 2:55 pm

Ipsos-Reid or one of the other major stats companies did a telephone poll in BC a few weeks after the YVR thing, 85-90% of the public asked were still in favour of tasers.
:wave:

User avatar
Jib
Seasoned Member
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:04 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Online Taser POLL

Postby Jib » Sun May 18, 2008 2:40 am

They are a fantastic tool. It's unfortunate that police forces can't share publicly the many success stories.
dura lex sed lex

User avatar
SD_SC1
Rookie Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:57 pm

Re: Online Taser POLL

Postby SD_SC1 » Mon May 19, 2008 12:19 pm

Jib wrote:They are a fantastic tool. It's unfortunate that police forces can't share publicly the many success stories.

Why not?
Sed libera nos a malo.

User avatar
Rob
Grand Poobah
Posts: 916
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2000 1:01 am
Contact:

Re: Online Taser POLL

Postby Rob » Mon May 19, 2008 1:52 pm

SD_SC1 wrote:
Jib wrote:They are a fantastic tool. It's unfortunate that police forces can't share publicly the many success stories.

Why not?


Because the majority if the "media" has no interest in publishing or reporting on this aspect of the Tasers.
'You sleep well in your bed at night only because a few rough men are willing to do violent things on your behalf"
George Orwell.

"Some times upholding the law is messy, but you get by, one day at a time"
Eric Cartman

Semper ubi sub ubi

User avatar
Mark S
Poobah Overlord
Posts: 4366
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2001 1:01 am
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Online Taser POLL

Postby Mark S » Mon May 19, 2008 3:35 pm

Rob wrote:
SD_SC1 wrote:
Jib wrote:They are a fantastic tool. It's unfortunate that police forces can't share publicly the many success stories.

Why not?


Because the majority if the "media" has no interest in publishing or reporting on this aspect of the Tasers.

Which is why we need to become our own media and do a better job of using the internet to preach directly to the masses, instead of having a joke for a website and relying on the media to relay information.
Welcome to Winnipeg. We were born here, what's your excuse?

User avatar
seabas
Grand Poobah
Posts: 923
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:22 pm
Contact:

Re: Online Taser POLL

Postby seabas » Mon May 19, 2008 3:46 pm

Mark S wrote:Which is why we need to become our own media and do a better job of using the internet to preach directly to the masses, instead of having a joke for a website and relying on the media to relay information.


AMEN - this is an extremely useful and life-saving tool. The alternative is a lot worse for everyone involved...
Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you to their level and beat you with experience.

Jim Street
King Poobah
Posts: 2462
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Online Taser POLL

Postby Jim Street » Mon May 19, 2008 3:51 pm

The question is, however, will they listen if the facts are told?

The media and these left wing "interest groups" only hear what they want to hear. It's not easy to find someone to preach about the "evils" of tasers. Hell, an RCMP paid psychologist testified in BC about them.

How will people discern the difference when someone on the payroll of the police, and supposedly with a good reputation, states such garbage disguised as fact?
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

User avatar
th
Veteran Member
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:50 pm
Location: British Paraguay
Contact:

Re: Online Taser POLL

Postby th » Mon May 19, 2008 4:37 pm

Jim Street wrote:How will people discern the difference when someone on the payroll of the police, and supposedly with a good reputation, states such garbage disguised as fact?
Mike Webster's comments on the taser have been taken a little out of context by the media. His criticism is not directed towards the device or the members who use it (he is pro-taser), but at the RCMP as an agency who, is his perception, do not give members the interpersonal crisis intervention tools they should have which results in a quicker escalation to force where it might not have been necessary had the members involved been given the type of training he thinks they should have. Thus his "embarrassment" is not with individual RCMP members who taser "confused immigrants" and "old men in hospital beds," but with the brass who through failing to provide training, have created a situation where members are forced to taser "confused immigrants" and the like.

Too bad "Police Doc Thinks Tasers are Evil" makes for better headlines ...
:wave:

User avatar
SaltyDog
Seasoned Member
Posts: 315
Joined: Fri May 28, 2004 9:18 pm
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Online Taser POLL

Postby SaltyDog » Mon May 19, 2008 6:15 pm

HwyBear wrote:"Do you think police should keep using TASER ECDs?"

Yes.

I finally got to see the taser in action the other day and, as usual, it was quite effective. This was some ice-head holed up in a room; he got two full cans of OC spray with no effect so we called for a taser. Bad guy dropped to the floor immediately when hit with taser and unexpectedly got right back up after discharge stopped. Tasered a second time, dropped to floor and got right back up after taser stopped. Tasered a third time and we had time to get cuffs on him though he was still fighting. This did surprise me as I thought he would simply drop like a rock when hit the first time and it would be over. Doesn't help that he is a MHA high on ice. Anyway, there is no way things would have worked out as good as it did had we not had a taser. It would have been more OC, batons, and lots of bruises and broken bones.
SaltyDog
Our fate is what we make.

Jim Street
King Poobah
Posts: 2462
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Online Taser POLL

Postby Jim Street » Mon May 19, 2008 6:33 pm

th wrote:Mike Webster's comments on the taser have been taken a little out of context by the media. His criticism is not directed towards the device or the members who use it (he is pro-taser), but at the RCMP as an agency who, is his perception, do not give members the interpersonal crisis intervention tools they should have which results in a quicker escalation to force where it might not have been necessary had the members involved been given the type of training he thinks they should have. Thus his "embarrassment" is not with individual RCMP members who taser "confused immigrants" and "old men in hospital beds," but with the brass who through failing to provide training, have created a situation where members are forced to taser "confused immigrants" and the like.


While I can appreciate that this guy has garnered some respect with his years of education and consultation, unless he actually comes out and states that he was misquoted by the press I have to respectfully disagree with you that his opinion is not decidely anti-RCMP.

Webster knows damn well that by saying he's embarassed because the taser was used in the airport and on that knife wielding senior, that his statement affects the front line members. The statements only further the divide between the public at large who have zero clue and the men and women who are putting their lives and careers on the line by simply using a tool that they have been trained on, and a tool that works well.

It is not only irresponsible but incredibly stupid to suggest that the RCMP members do not have the interpersonal skills to deal with members of the public in volatile or potentially volatile situations. It is even more ludicrous to outright suggest that situations like the Dziekanski debacle could have been avoided if only members had taken his crisis intervention course.

Although it may seem his comments have been taken out of context, why is he crying the blues that senior Mounties scolded him for making the comments? http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... ional/home
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

Chuk750
Regular Member
Posts: 119
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:06 pm
Location: Alberta
Contact:

Re: Online Taser POLL

Postby Chuk750 » Mon May 19, 2008 6:59 pm

I've got to agree with Jim on this one.
In my opinion the guy lost all credibilty with this quote from the article Jim posted

“I told him I didn't need anything more than the 25 seconds of video that we've all seen over and over again to offer my analysis,” Mr. Webster said.

Pretty ignorant comment to make no matter how much education the man has.
I don't always agree with the way the RCMP handles issues but if they don't give this guy anymore work I agree 100%. Comments like the one above are doing a disservice to front line members.
The best victory is when the opponent surrenders of its own accord before there are any actual hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.
Sun-tzu


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest