Taser stun guns for every police officer - England

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.
HwyBear

Taser stun guns for every police officer - England

Postby HwyBear » Mon May 12, 2008 8:00 am

Tasers could be issued to all police officers after a trial found that they deterred violent criminals, it was disclosed today.
The 50,000-volt stun guns, introduced to Britain in 2003, are mainly used by firearms officers at present.

But a 12-month experiment by ten English and Welsh forces has found that they can help defuse stand-offs even without being fired.

During the ongoing trial, which began last September, their deployment soared 15 times, while firing of the devices tripled.

The Home Office is reportedly due to make an announcement on their extension later today.

"Taser is making a real difference on our streets, not only keeping the public safe but also protecting police officers," Jacqui Smith, the Home Secretary, told the Sun newspaper.

"I am committed to giving our police officers the weapons they need. If the trial shows the Taser to be a valuable tool, I can envisage a day when they could be routinely issued to all officers."

In the first six months of the pilot scheme Tasers were deployed on 252 occasions, 236 of which were in the last three months.

However, they were only fired 31 times - 25 in the last three months.

Officers reported that they helped resolve potentially fatal situations.

A Home Office source said that the officers using Tasers had been fully trained and followed official guidelines.

The forces involved in the trial were Avon and Somerset, Devon and Cornwall, Gwent, Lincolnshire, Merseyside, Metropolitan Police, Northamptonshire, Northumbria, North Wales, and West Yorkshire.

The Association of Chief Police Officers said that during the experiment Tasers would be made available at incidents of 'violence and threats of violence of such severity that they will need force'.

The Tasers fire barbed darts into their victims and deliver powerful electric shocks via a copper wire. They are intended to be a 'less lethal' alternative to regular police weapons.
Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. Your normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop-heart. Make the bastard chase you. He will follow"

ryan.p
Rookie Member

Re: Taser stun guns for every police officer - England

Postby ryan.p » Mon May 12, 2008 12:13 pm

Good for them.

We should start pushing in that direction, instead of only equipping select members (Ontario anyway). Why should front line officers have to wait for another less lethal tool to become available to them? We already know the that the sheer presence of a taser encourages compliance, but because of all of the media hype bullshit these days, officer safety has taken a back seat and criminals are put on a silver platter.
| Now on board with VanB's 5 step program |

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Mon May 12, 2008 1:27 pm

Canada and the UK are similar in certain respects. We have no isses issuing all officers with guns that can kill people yet when it comes to tasers, forget it. Too much of a risk to public safety. :roll: They only have a limited number of "firearms officers" and we have a limited number of officers carrying tasers. If the UK police found that tasers deterred criminal, imagine the difference if they all carried guns along with tasers and all Canadian officers all carried tasers along with their guns. :ponder:

Gard
King Poobah

Postby Gard » Sun May 18, 2008 5:20 pm

Screw tasers. I'd like for the headline to read "guns for every police officer" over there.
Last edited by Gard on Sun May 25, 2008 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He who allows oppression, shares the crime.
26 + 6 = 1

th
Veteran Member

Postby th » Sun May 18, 2008 5:31 pm

Bald Man wrote:Canada and the UK are similar in certain respects. We have no isses issuing all officers with guns that can kill people yet when it comes to tasers, forget it. Too much of a risk to public safety. :roll: They only have a limited number of "firearms officers" and we have a limited number of officers carrying tasers. If the UK police found that tasers deterred criminal, imagine the difference if they all carried guns along with tasers and all Canadian officers all carried tasers along with their guns. :ponder:

The limited taser deployment is an Ontario only thing. Elsewhere in Canada, taser deployment is restricted by budget, not law.
:wave:

John76
Rookie Member

Postby John76 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:11 pm

Bald Man wrote:Canada and the UK are similar in certain respects. We have no isses issuing all officers with guns that can kill people yet when it comes to tasers, forget it. Too much of a risk to public safety. :roll: They only have a limited number of "firearms officers" and we have a limited number of officers carrying tasers. If the UK police found that tasers deterred criminal, imagine the difference if they all carried guns along with tasers and all Canadian officers all carried tasers along with their guns. :ponder:

Well I wouldn't want to give up my gun. but personally I think we should lose a force of option if we are going with a tasers for everyone... maybe lose the oc spray that if used in the wrong conditions can also disable an officer or even the officer thats using it. (in the heat of the moment forget which direction the wind is heading) I kn ow my belt is crowded already and I don't have anything on it other than the standards. gun, radio, mags, oc, asp, cuffs, bio pouch, light.
I can almost imagine the sore hips and or back of some officers that carry the taser etc.

Boxer Dogs
Rookie Member

Postby Boxer Dogs » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:28 am

Gard wrote:Screw tasers. I'd like for the headline to read "guns for every police officer" over there.

:aye:
My opinions are my own and do not reflect my agency.

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:12 pm

I can always find a spot for a taser, either on my belt or a thigh holster. I would love to have a taser just for the deterrent effect.
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.