S&W 5946 R.I.P

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer, Dave Brown

Duke48977
Rookie Member

Re: S&W 5946 R.I.P

Postby Duke48977 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:45 pm

Just finished OST and was advised by a BFI that one of their number was transferred to be on the selection team for a new sidearm. Was told they have already trimmed it down to the SIG P226, Glock 17 and S&W M&P 9.

Probably just adding fuel to the fire, but figured it's the most concrete information on a new sidearm that I've heard in a long time..a long time.

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:26 pm

Myth.

If the RCMP changed sidearms every time a myth arise that they are in the process of selecting a new one, they would have more guns than a Mexican pawn shop.

They have an almost unlimited supply of 5946s and replacement parts. I would guess it would be decades before they change.

Plus, the 5946 is still an effective firearm. Let's roll out the patrol carbines to every general duty RCMP officer in Canada FIRST.

And the reason I know this is a myth? The RCMP will never consider the Glock, just as Gaston Glock will never install a magazine disconnect.

Longarm9
King Poobah

Postby Longarm9 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:00 am

Let me just say that magazine disconnects are the stupidest feature ever invented in handguns.
"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." -John Stuart Mill

wicked_police
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby wicked_police » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:15 am

Calling a magazine disconnect a 'safety' feature is like calling a cement barrier an emergency brake.

Unless the current attitude from the armorers shop and some in procurement changes, the rcmp will never select a gun for the general membership that can only be disassembled after the trigger has been pulled. Which makes the Glock a non-starter.

And while the Sig is a good gun and is once again in use by ERT and PDS, in a world where buying enough guns for the federal police is in the tens of millions of dollars, the difference in price between an $800+ Sig and a $400 or so S&W is very substantial.

melom
Sage Member

Postby melom » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:16 am

I would think that they would pick a polymer gun like the P320 over the P226.

RGW
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby RGW » Sat May 02, 2015 12:04 am

melom wrote:I would think that they would pick a polymer gun like the P320 over the P226.
Yeah, the 320 is advertising for $500 retail right now, which is a more reasonable price than a 226.

Longarm9
King Poobah

Postby Longarm9 » Sat May 02, 2015 12:59 am

wicked_police wrote:Calling a magazine disconnect a 'safety' feature is like calling a cement barrier an emergency brake.

Unless the current attitude from the armorers shop and some in procurement changes, the rcmp will never select a gun for the general membership that can only be disassembled after the trigger has been pulled. Which makes the Glock a non-starter.
Ha, totally true about the mag disconnect.

Technically, the S&W M&P doesn't need the trigger to be pulled because they supply a tool that can effect the same function without touching the trigger, so it should still be a viable choice.
"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." -John Stuart Mill

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Sat May 02, 2015 8:49 pm

Technically, one could teach officers to PROVE the firearms safe before disassembly.

At what point does it become necessary to install a big funnel on the roof of a patrol car leading down into the gas tank instead of just teaching people to remove the gas cap before filling up their cars?

Homer
Sage Member

Postby Homer » Sat May 02, 2015 10:37 pm

Dave Brown wrote:Technically, one could teach officers to PROVE the firearms safe before disassembly.
But that's part of the CFSC. We don't want police officers to get firearms licenses, because then they'll practice away from work. And they may practice the wrong thing and that would be a liability.
"They have the Internet on computers now!"

Longarm9
King Poobah

Postby Longarm9 » Fri May 08, 2015 4:22 pm

Dave Brown wrote:Technically, one could teach officers to PROVE the firearms safe before disassembly.

At what point does it become necessary to install a big funnel on the roof of a patrol car leading down into the gas tank instead of just teaching people to remove the gas cap before filling up their cars?
You get no argument from me. You should point this out to policy makers who eliminate awesome handguns from competitions because of such features. Don't think they'll listen though, unfortunately.

FedCO
Poobah Overlord

Postby FedCO » Sat May 09, 2015 6:30 pm

While I love the 5900 series pistol, it would be nice to see an updated pistol that could take Tac lights etc. Aim no Glock fan but at least they're cheap and parts are easy to find etc. Alaska State Troopers use G22. RCMP could use a G17 or go SW MP 9mm which is a good pistol. In dream world they should go Sig Sauer P320 9mm full size or carry.

VanSmack

Postby VanSmack » Sat May 09, 2015 6:46 pm

FedCO wrote:While I love the 5900 series pistol, it would be nice to see an updated pistol that could take Tac lights etc.
That alone would be reason enough for them not to get green-lit. I could imagine the collective heart attack that some board room in Ottawa would have at the thought of some member in Pukatawagan deciding to push out his own dime to put a laser or some other tactical shit on his issued pistol.

Besides, for the overwhelming majority of members, putting a tactical light under the barrel is going to reduce draw out time, or have them pointing the barrel of the gun where they're looking with the flashlight, which increases the possibility of accidentally shooting someone. We're talking two or three posts above about how members can't be trusted to clear a pistol before taking the thing apart but somehow telling them to point their loaded guns off into the dark is a good idea?

If you're not on ERT it's probably not something you really, really need that a regular flashlight won't do every bit as well.
When people get too chummy with me, I like to call them by the wrong name to let them know I don’t really care about them.

frozenmountie
Rookie Member

Postby frozenmountie » Sat May 09, 2015 7:12 pm

I see your point... but when you're shooting with one hand (because the other hand is tied up with a flashlight) your accuracy drops considerably. I do a bunch of shooting with my 5946 and whenever I shoot one handed, my groupings get a lot bigger. (This coming from a guy who shoots 250/250 on the course of fire and goes to the range twice a week.) This is scary, considering that probably 70% of the time I draw out on people is at night.

I would be A LOT more confident with my pistol at night if I had a mounted light. Also, a mounted light permits you to use your support side hand without trying to juggle a flashlight while opening a door, moving a weapon of opportunity to a safe place, etc.

I do agree that a lot of members would start using their pistols when they should just use their flashlights though.

Maybe having an "approved" light for the pistol and then having to qualify with it would make sense before being able to carry it. BFIs could then take on the responsibility of mentoring other members on the appropriate usage of the mounted light.

Anyway, just my opinion. I'm open to other people's insight though.
"If you can't do great things, do small things in a great way." - Napoleon Hill
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

FedCO
Poobah Overlord

Postby FedCO » Sun May 10, 2015 9:59 am

VanSmack wrote:
FedCO wrote:While I love the 5900 series pistol, it would be nice to see an updated pistol that could take Tac lights etc.
That alone would be reason enough for them not to get green-lit. I could imagine the collective heart attack that some board room in Ottawa would have at the thought of some member in Pukatawagan deciding to push out his own dime to put a laser or some other tactical shit on his issued pistol.

Besides, for the overwhelming majority of members, putting a tactical light under the barrel is going to reduce draw out time, or have them pointing the barrel of the gun where they're looking with the flashlight, which increases the possibility of accidentally shooting someone. We're talking two or three posts above about how members can't be trusted to clear a pistol before taking the thing apart but somehow telling them to point their loaded guns off into the dark is a good idea?

If you're not on ERT it's probably not something you really, really need that a regular flashlight won't do every bit as well.
It's really not as complex as your making it out to be. First it's a mounted light once affixed you don't take it off. So the Armoury can install it. Second Tac lights balance the firearm even more putting weight on end of barrel which keeps recoil down even more. Shooting with one hand on gun and one on light is stupid, horrible aim and is a risk to officer safety. Look down to USA. It could work if we put thought, did training. We need to train out members. I'd rather have a light and allow me to clear rooms more confidently. The light is more for when those times you need your gun out but now the light is on your pistol. You would still carry another light for other times. Tac lights are great tool.

Whi_Tan

Postby Whi_Tan » Sun May 10, 2015 3:27 pm

Seems to be fine for Barrie PS. Great that they are acting as guinea pigs for the rest of us.