S&W 5946 R.I.P

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.
User avatar
Dave Brown
Site Admin
Posts: 1783
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2000 1:01 am
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

Re: S&W 5946 R.I.P

Postby Dave Brown » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:08 pm

The latest Safariland holsters such as the ALS literally do have a minimal learning curve and zero break-in required. They won our head-to-head holsters tests in an article several years ago and remain highly recommended.

The SERPA remains not recommended, and I am not about to change that view. Police holsters to me are not the best place for ill-advised cost-cutting.

In my opinion, any design that places the holster release directly over top of the trigger guard is a recipe for disaster, especially when you add a hinge mechanism that will lock the gun in the holster if it ever breaks apart or gets a stone caught in it. Plus, in a high stress situation, one tends to lose fine motor skills and feeling in the fingers, and when drawing quickly the trigger finger naturally goes toward the depressed area of the release instead of the raised area, and the gun won't come out.

In my opinion, the SERPA is a fine holster for when a sidearm is a secondary defensive weapon or where a half second is not going to make any difference in the draw, but would not be suitable for patrol officers. A fine idea that badly needs a simple redesign.

User avatar
FedCO
King Poobah
Posts: 1600
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Ontario,Canada
Contact:

Re: S&W 5946 R.I.P

Postby FedCO » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:33 pm

Dave Brown wrote:The latest Safariland holsters such as the ALS literally do have a minimal learning curve and zero break-in required. They won our head-to-head holsters tests in an article several years ago and remain highly recommended.

The SERPA remains not recommended, and I am not about to change that view. Police holsters to me are not the best place for ill-advised cost-cutting.

In my opinion, any design that places the holster release directly over top of the trigger guard is a recipe for disaster, especially when you add a hinge mechanism that will lock the gun in the holster if it ever breaks apart or gets a stone caught in it. Plus, in a high stress situation, one tends to lose fine motor skills and feeling in the fingers, and when drawing quickly the trigger finger naturally goes toward the depressed area of the release instead of the raised area, and the gun won't come out.

In my opinion, the SERPA is a fine holster for when a sidearm is a secondary defensive weapon or where a half second is not going to make any difference in the draw, but would not be suitable for patrol officers. A fine idea that badly needs a simple redesign.


:thumbsup:

User avatar
Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord
Posts: 3773
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:59 am
Location: Redacted
Contact:

Re: S&W 5946 R.I.P

Postby Punisher-One » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:11 pm

I love our 6365! It's better than the Beretta itself.

User avatar
FedCO
King Poobah
Posts: 1600
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Ontario,Canada
Contact:

Re: S&W 5946 R.I.P

Postby FedCO » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:54 am

Punisher-One wrote:I love our 6365! It's better than the Beretta itself.


Wondering what the difference is between 6360 and 6365? I tried looking it up.

User avatar
Longarm9
Lord of the Poobahs
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:02 pm
Contact:

Re: S&W 5946 R.I.P

Postby Longarm9 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:14 am

FedCO wrote:
Punisher-One wrote:I love our 6365! It's better than the Beretta itself.


Wondering what the difference is between 6360 and 6365? I tried looking it up.


Perhaps the "chop block" hood? Or possibly the mount system - drop vs hip mount?
"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." -John Stuart Mill

Borderwatchman
Grand Poobah
Posts: 674
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:54 am
Contact:

Re: S&W 5946 R.I.P

Postby Borderwatchman » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:00 pm

One is the regular officer holster and the other is supposed to be the "concealed" one for CBSA Intel. The only difference is that it rides higher up the belt. It's totally useless for Intel purposes. Too bulky and easily seen. But then again, the CBSA doesn't really want us making arrests and using our UoF options, come on!!!

User avatar
Longarm9
Lord of the Poobahs
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:02 pm
Contact:

Re: S&W 5946 R.I.P

Postby Longarm9 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:36 pm

Borderwatchman wrote:One is the regular officer holster and the other is supposed to be the "concealed" one for CBSA Intel. The only difference is that it rides higher up the belt. It's totally useless for Intel purposes. Too bulky and easily seen. But then again, the CBSA doesn't really want us making arrests and using our UoF options, come on!!!


We need to be rockin some Galco Leather shoulder holsters for plainclothes work. Booyah!
"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." -John Stuart Mill

dhpsask
Regular Member
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:35 pm
Location: AB
Contact:

Re: S&W 5946 R.I.P

Postby dhpsask » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:09 am

Longarm9 wrote:
Borderwatchman wrote:One is the regular officer holster and the other is supposed to be the "concealed" one for CBSA Intel. The only difference is that it rides higher up the belt. It's totally useless for Intel purposes. Too bulky and easily seen. But then again, the CBSA doesn't really want us making arrests and using our UoF options, come on!!!


We need to be rockin some Galco Leather shoulder holsters for plainclothes work. Booyah!

Start with the vice unit. I think they would appreciate it the most.
Alberta Sheriff

KLICK
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:52 pm
Contact:

Re: S&W 5946 R.I.P

Postby KLICK » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:56 pm

ODIN wrote:Our agency currently uses the ALS, its fantastic, Im a pretty big dude with very large hands and i have zero issue drawing a weapon from it. Its got excellent rentention. very user friendly. I have used the Serpa, but I prefer the ALS.


Agreed, having used the SERPA and other models of Safariland Holsters, the Safariland is more user friendly IMO.
Last edited by KLICK on Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kylewashere
Rookie Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:29 pm
Contact:

Re: S&W 5946 R.I.P

Postby kylewashere » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:28 pm

Forums been quite for a bit. Heard some news that FTU at depot is trying out Sig Sauers, and that new troops are piloting the new course of fire....any truth to the matter?

User avatar
Depot Web
Rookie Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:47 am
Location: RCMP Academy, "Depot" Division, Regina, Saskatchewan
Contact:

Re: S&W 5946 R.I.P

Postby Depot Web » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:24 pm

kylewashere wrote:Forums been quite for a bit. Heard some news that FTU at depot is trying out Sig Sauers, and that new troops are piloting the new course of fire....any truth to the matter?

Like any good rumour, there is always a grain of truth.

Some specialized units use SIG Sauers, but not cadets or general duty members. Some of those units do train at Depot so you may see the occasional non-S&W on our streets or at the range, but they aren't used by cadets or part of the CTP.

There is no new course of fire being piloted at Depot.

The training program itself (all units, not just Firearms) is constantly being evaluated with the occasional tweaks and pilot projects to see if learning, skill retention and, ultimately, officer safety can be improved. There have been recent pilots in FTU, but no changes to the course of fire.
David Calam
RCMP "Depot" Division

Duke48977
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:38 pm
Contact:

Re: S&W 5946 R.I.P

Postby Duke48977 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:45 pm

Just finished OST and was advised by a BFI that one of their number was transferred to be on the selection team for a new sidearm. Was told they have already trimmed it down to the SIG P226, Glock 17 and S&W M&P 9.

Probably just adding fuel to the fire, but figured it's the most concrete information on a new sidearm that I've heard in a long time..a long time.

User avatar
Dave Brown
Site Admin
Posts: 1783
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2000 1:01 am
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

Re: S&W 5946 R.I.P

Postby Dave Brown » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:26 pm

Myth.

If the RCMP changed sidearms every time a myth arise that they are in the process of selecting a new one, they would have more guns than an American pawn shop.

They have an almost unlimited supply of 5946s and replacement parts. I would guess it would be decades before they change.

Plus, the 5946 is still an effective firearm. Let's roll out the patrol carbines to every general duty RCMP officer in Canada FIRST.

And the reason I know this is a myth? The RCMP will never consider the Glock, just as Gaston Glock will never install a magazine disconnect.

User avatar
Longarm9
Lord of the Poobahs
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:02 pm
Contact:

Re: S&W 5946 R.I.P

Postby Longarm9 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:00 am

Let me just say that magazine disconnects are the stupidest feature ever invented in handguns.
"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." -John Stuart Mill

wicked_police
Grand Poobah
Posts: 677
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:02 pm
Location: Ottawa
Contact:

Re: S&W 5946 R.I.P

Postby wicked_police » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:15 am

Calling a magazine disconnect a 'safety' feature is like calling a cement barrier an emergency brake.

Unless the current attitude from the armorers shop and some in procurement changes, the rcmp will never select a gun for the general membership that can only be disassembled after the trigger has been pulled. Which makes the Glock a non-starter.

And while the Sig is a good gun and is once again in use by ERT and PDS, in a world where buying enough guns for the federal police is in the tens of millions of dollars, the difference in price between an $800+ Sig and a $400 or so S&W is very substantial.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests