S&W 5946 R.I.P

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.
RGW
Grand Poobah

Re: S&W 5946 R.I.P

Postby RGW » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:33 am

366 wrote:Right now the only thing the mounties have to look forward to is a new holster. So, I would guess that if they have decided to buy holsters, we can look forward to our boat anchors for another 10 years at least! Too many people in charge who remember the march west............................................

I'd be surprised if a holster maker came up with a new duty holster for this old gun.

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:50 pm

366 wrote:Right now the only thing the mounties have to look forward to is a new holster. So, I would guess that if they have decided to buy holsters, we can look forward to our boat anchors for another 10 years at least! Too many people in charge who remember the march west............................................

LOL! Brother, I have seen some boat anchors, and the 5946 is not one of them.

Yes, it's kinda big and heavy, but it has a nice trigger, a very clean sight picture and it goes bang when you need it to go bang. Just because the market went to polymer does not mean the handgun suddenly got worse. I too, hate magazine disconnects but it looks like the RCMP will always cling to this questionable "feature" anyway.

I should however state that I am not legally allowed to describe a certain OTHER make of firearm as a "boat anchor." (It was part of the out-of-court settlement, after what my publisher now laughingly refers to as "the incident.")

But let's just say that when Canada went entirely to semi-automatic pistols more than a decade ago, there were a few, let's just say, 'curious' choices to maybe save a few dollars. Thankfully they didn't last long on the market. I cannot describe those curious choices as boat anchors, for the reason I detailed above but let me state as a long time professional firearms instructor, I consider the Ruger P85 pistol to have several distinct advantages as a police-issue pistol over their competition at the time: it was made from stainless steel that resisted underwater corrosion; its sharp edges helped it to dig more firmly into lake bottoms; and its trigger guard was perfectly sized and shaped to string your boat rope through.

So you see that the 5946 just doesn't cut it as a boat anchor.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

In all seriousness though, it is still a good gun ... and the best gun in the world is the one you have in your hand when you need it the most.

I don't really have heroes in my life from sport or comic books. My heroes are the ones who survived incredible odds by using their training, plus adapting to their circumstances in order to survive.

I have three heroes in my life.

One I won't mention because he is a forum member and he knows who he is. The second is FBI Special Agent Ed Mireles, who used a Remington 870 shotgun and a S&W Model 10 .38 Special revolver to ultimately stop two murderers during one of the darkest days of the FBI. The third is RCMP Cst. Brian Auger who used his 5946 to engage three murderers armed with high-powered rifles and shotguns.

Those are my heroes.

(Well, those three, plus Samuel L. Jackson who once called me a M*****F***** ... affectionately, I might add.)

FedCO
King Poobah

Postby FedCO » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:51 pm

Dave Brown wrote:

Yes, it's kinda big and heavy, but it has a nice trigger, a very clean sight picture and it goes bang when you need it to go bang. Just because the market went to polymer does not mean the handgun suddenly got worse. I too, hate magazine disconnects but it looks like the RCMP will always cling to this questionable "feature" anyway.

I should however state that I am not legally allowed to describe a certain OTHER make of firearm as a "boat anchor." (It was part of the out-of-court settlement, after what my publisher now laughingly refers to as "the incident.")

But let's just say that when Canada went entirely to semi-automatic pistols more than a decade ago, there were a few, let's just say, 'curious' choices to maybe save a few dollars. Thankfully they didn't last long on the market. I cannot describe those curious choices as boat anchors, for the reason I detailed above but let me state as a long time professional firearms instructor, I consider the Ruger P85 pistol to have several distinct advantages as a police-issue pistol over their competition at the time: it was made from stainless steel that resisted underwater corrosion; its sharp edges helped it to dig more firmly into lake bottoms; and its trigger guard was perfectly sized and shaped to string your boat rope through.

In all seriousness though, it is still a good gun ... and the best gun in the world is the one you have in your hand when you need it the most.

I don't really have heroes in my life from sport or comic books. My heroes are the ones who survived incredible odds by using their training, plus adapting to their circumstances in order to survive.

One I won't mention because he is a forum member and he knows who he is. The second is FBI Special Agent Ed Mireles, who used a Remington 870 shotgun and a S&W Model 10 .38 Special revolver to ultimately stop two murderers during one of the darkest days of the FBI. The third is RCMP Cst. Brian Auger who used his 5946 to engage three murderers armed with high-powered rifles and shotguns.

Those are my heroes.

(Well, those three, plus Samuel L. Jackson who once called me a M*****F***** ... affectionately, I might add.)

:thumbsup:

BROVO26

Postby BROVO26 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:46 pm

Dave Brown wrote:

Those are my heroes.

:thumbsup: nice response, lmao
It's not if you win or lose, but how you place the blame.

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:19 pm

Dave Brown wrote:...
Those are my heroes.

I just KNEW I should have paid for coffee that night! :mrgreen:
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad, Father-In-Law, & Grampa(x6)

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:01 am

4 heroes if you include Broccolo.

In all seriousness, I never met an officer who did things exactly perfect every single minute he was on duty like Pete. He didn't do it because he had an observer riding with him; he did it because that's the kind of cop he was.

He completely shattered that old myth that complacency comes from years on the job. Complacency comes from ATTITUDE.

Pete came west with Sir Samuel Steele; his first patrol vehicle ran on hay and his first communication system was a dime and a map of all the phone booths in the area. Policing took a back seat to inventing fire and fighting off the dinosaurs.

But he is the perfect example of attitude that triumphs over technology. It's not the gun; it's the user.

The 5946 was the right gun for the time, at the right price and with the right features. It works when you need it ... which is kinda like Pete in a lotta ways ...

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:20 pm

Striker wrote:
Pete Broccolo wrote:Gun - bad. Taser - VERY bad. Hugs - MIGHT be ok!

Christ...YOU'VE been writing gov;t use of force policy..haven't you? :smirk:

Are you coffee'ing with Rob Ford?! NO Agency in their right mind would have me write ANY policy, let alone UofF!

My levels now are:
- Care-Bear stare;
- Passing SBD.

RGW
Grand Poobah

Postby RGW » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:31 am

Dave Brown wrote:The 5946 was the right gun for the time, at the right price and with the right features. It works when you need it ... which is kinda like Pete in a lotta ways ...

So just to confirm, Pete's priced right and he goes bang every time?

:D

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:21 am

Not the prettiest thing on the streets but 100% solid and reliable when you need it.

And the gun is similar too.

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:02 pm

Price: always can be had for half a sandwich.

Bang: whether I have consumed beans or watercress, I would not follow me too closely - wait, you meant, what?!

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:54 pm

Dave Brown wrote:Not the prettiest thing on the streets...

I FINALLY figured out how to modify pictures! Don't make me try one of THOSE "photocopier" pictures...and you KNOW I will!

Longarm9
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Longarm9 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:09 am

Pete Broccolo wrote:
Striker wrote:
Pete Broccolo wrote:Gun - bad. Taser - VERY bad. Hugs - MIGHT be ok!

Christ...YOU'VE been writing gov;t use of force policy..haven't you? :smirk:

Are you coffee'ing with Rob Ford?! NO Agency in their right mind would have me write ANY policy, let alone UofF!

My levels now are:
- Care-Bear stare;
- Passing SBD.

You forgot my favourite: stern finger wag. :P
"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." -John Stuart Mill