S&W 5946 R.I.P

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer, Dave Brown

Barkley
Grand Poobah

S&W 5946 R.I.P

Postby Barkley » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:05 am

This topic may be older than dinosaur shit to some of you but, if S&W 5946 production was discontinued, what is the RCMP looking at to replace it?

Was the 5946 a good weapon and did you like training on it and maintaining it?

Have any of you (Mounties) heard anything? What would you like to see the RCMP go to and why?

Stay Safe
Barkley
But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he bearith not the sword in vain:
ROMANS 13

VanSmack

Re: S&W 5946 R.I.P

Postby VanSmack » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:00 am

Barkley wrote:This topic may be older than dinosaur shit to some of you but, if S&W 5946 production was discontinued, what is the RCMP looking at to replace it?

Was the 5946 a good weapon and did you like training on it and maintaining it?

Have any of you (Mounties) heard anything? What would you like to see the RCMP go to and why?

Stay Safe
Barkley
In my opinion only, and I'm far from an expert.

Pros: Easy to maintain, looks sexy in nickel plated, is fairly accurate, a monkey would have a hard time messing something up with it.
Cons: weighs a ton (that added weight takes it's toll carrying it around all day), long, heavy trigger pull, mag disconnect.

I'd like to see us go to a Sig P229, but I doubt we'll see any movement on it for several years.
When people get too chummy with me, I like to call them by the wrong name to let them know I don’t really care about them.

wicked_police
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby wicked_police » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:36 am

You're right VanB, we won't be making any changes in the near future. The only units that might be going to a different gun is ERT and maybe another one.
The 5946 is a great general duty pistol, but not at all suited to tactical or plain clothes duties.
And the heavy trigger can be a pain, especially for weaker shooters. Going through 200-300 rounds at a time can get tiring for some. I'm lucky that I've gotten to shoot mine a lot. I think I've put over 40,000 rounds through a few of them in my service, and except for a cracked chamber in my original, the only problems were broken extractors. And for qualifications the last 8 years, all I worry about is my x count. Best is 33 out of a possible 46. Last qual was 22 I think. :sniper: lol

I like the 229 as well though.
I got to shoot it at TPOF when it was being trialed by CBSA. Some of the guys didn't like the DAK trigger. I found it pretty good. I really like the DA/SA triggers, but for a general duty gun, training to transition from a double action first shot to single action follow ups isn't feasible for 99.9% of the members in general duty.
Having said that, I would choose the DAK as well. I like the same trigger from first to last shot.

But if it was up to me, I'd carry a G17 for GD, G34 for tactical, and G19 or 26 for plainclothes work.

I like Glocks. :p

Barkley
Grand Poobah

Postby Barkley » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:15 pm

I carry a Glock 22 and think it's one of the best duty weapons out there.

I shoot every two weeks or so still, no problems with my gun. I am on my second issue Glock because we all got new ones a year ago. I was lucky enough to get a few test drives on the RCMP's 5946 and really liked it. It's a nice looking piece of kit as well.The RCMP members I was shooting with did say they liked the Glock however.

Why did S&W discontinue this weapon?

Anybody??

Barkley
But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he bearith not the sword in vain:
ROMANS 13

wicked_police
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby wicked_police » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:34 pm

I think it was discontinued due to the lack of a market.
Some people will say how can there be a lack of a market when the rcmp buys them, but we really aren't a big customer.
The 5946 is a nice gun. But I feel there are far better ones out there.
Unfortunately, some of our armorers don't like the glocks for some design/safety reasons. So not much chance of us using them any time soon.

There is a new 5946 out that we tested against the Sig for ERT. It was made for the CHP. It comes black from the factory, has an integral rail, and has a slightly lower trigger pull.

If you go on any gun forums, you might see that the G22 has some issues when used with a light(X300 or the like).

One of the instructors I had in Blackwater said Mr. Glock took a course that he taught on. He told Mr Glock that his best pistol is the G17, which made him very happy. The instructor then said that the ones that came after were crap(G22 mostly). Mr Glock didn't like him as much after that.....
From what I've read by people with way more knowledge than me, the problem was taking a gun designed around a 9mm cartridge and putting a 40 into it.

There seem to be less issues when using a reduced power load, like a 165gr or there abouts, as opposed to a 180gr.

But again, that's just stuff I read on the interweb. So take it for what it's worth.

Barkley
Grand Poobah

Postby Barkley » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:51 pm

Yeah, our Tactical and Dog units have switched to the Sig P-226 DAK because the G-22 sucks when a light is attached to it.

Barkley
ROMANS 13

woodswanderer
Rookie Member

Postby woodswanderer » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:45 pm

given most other fed agencies follow lead of rcmp -what would the most likely candidate be for a sidearm if a certain other agency pulls it head out of its ass and gets on with arming its officers-keeping in mind it would see all weather conditions and be out in the bush etc etc. just curious what model would be reccomended and be able to take abuse of conservation enforcement

wicked_police
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby wicked_police » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:52 pm

No idea. But aren't some conservation officers across Canada using Glocks and the 5946?

And, most Fed agencies don't follow the lead. CBSA is the most recent to arm, and they wrote up their own requirements(with a little help from our armorers...), and ended up with the Beretta Px4. What a piece of crap that is...
I thought the 5946 trigger was bad.

Bald Man
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Bald Man » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:57 pm

Our Ontario conservation officers carry the H&K USP .40cal. You won't go wrong with a Glock or Sig. They also happen to both take the lead in LE handgun sales. The H&K's are on the expensive side.

Grassynarrows
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Grassynarrows » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:44 pm

The Bulk of the LE agencies in North america are going Glock or Sig nowadays.LAPD is switching to Glock also
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

VanSmack

Postby VanSmack » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:50 pm

I believe DFO Fish Cops are carrying the 5946 as well, but I could be wrong.
When people get too chummy with me, I like to call them by the wrong name to let them know I don’t really care about them.

KL
Poobah Overlord

Postby KL » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:46 pm

DFO went to the 5946 a couple of years before we did. Seeing as we do their firearms training and servicing the writing was on the wall when the RCMP went to a pistol. I was told that RCMP members going on UN Missions in Haiti prior to the changeover were issued 5946s as well.

I'd like to see us go to a SIG or an H&K. I wasn't crazy about the CBSA PX4 when I shot it. I'm not a Glock fan either.

wicked_police
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby wicked_police » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:56 pm

I tried the Px4 at Connaught last summer. I really, really don't like it. Like I said before, the trigger was terrible.

I can't see us going to an HK. I think there'd be a much better chance of a Sig. Or the 5946 we checked out for ERT.
I didn't get to shoot it, but dry-fired it a bit, and the trigger was much nicer. And it had a rail.

The main problem with it was the lack of holsters for it. There wasn't much out for it at all last year.

I think we're stuck with the current version for a little while any way.

VanSmack

Postby VanSmack » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:16 am

wicked_police wrote:I tried the Px4 at Connaught last summer. I really, really don't like it. Like I said before, the trigger was terrible.

I can't see us going to an HK. I think there'd be a much better chance of a Sig. Or the 5946 we checked out for ERT.
I didn't get to shoot it, but dry-fired it a bit, and the trigger was much nicer. And it had a rail.

The main problem with it was the lack of holsters for it. There wasn't much out for it at all last year.

I think we're stuck with the current version for a little while any way.
Holsters for the 5946 in general are few and far between. Usually when I've been in the US and asked around to see what was out there the response I would get was, "why in the hell would anyone carry that gun?" As far as model specific holster are concerned the 5946 apparently isn't high on the list of priorities for manufacturers when everyone and their dog in the US seems to be buying Glocks.

wicked_police
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby wicked_police » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:19 am

Yup.

And for a 5946 with a rail, they're even more scarce.