Sights and Police Practices?

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.
Gard
King Poobah

Re: Sights and Police Practices?

Postby Gard » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:29 am

I'm sure you guys are all awesome when it comes to tactical skills, particularly the memorizing and regurgitating of cool-sounding phrases like ""Train as you fight, fight as you train".

I'm not suggesting that your skills are anything less than stellar and it's a common discussion in the police only forum, particularly among us who have actually been involved in shooting situations, on how we wish we were half as good as you bunch of Ikes.

But, you're not helping Vonn. She asked a simple question about her sight picture.

Vonn, PM me if you want to talk about the fundamentals of shooting. Whenever you get tired of stories about "deadly force encounters in crowded parking lots".
He who allows oppression, shares the crime.
26 + 6 = 1

TackleberryG22

Postby TackleberryG22 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:31 pm

It never ceases to amaze me how an adult level conversation / discussion of a serious nature can be minimized, marginalized by somebody that has all the answers. If you have been there done that, fine state that, back it up if you feel you need to. If your training counters what is being discussed, fine state that, tell us what you were taught.

Keep in mind this is the open forum of the board. Thus some stuff should be sterilized or relocated.

But, minimizing it and belittling information that was meant to assist a fellow board member, by playing the big all knowing adult and trying shosh away little children because they are under foot while you are trying to do your very important work, does nothing but shows immaturity and a lack of respect.

I'm sure you guys are all awesome when it comes to tactical skills, particularly the memorizing and regurgitating of cool-sounding phrases like ""Train as you fight, fight as you train"

So it's not true?? Phrases made to make you think and ingrave in your memory during practice will return without a conscious act of remembering it.

Whenever you get tired of stories about "deadly force encounters in crowded parking lots".

Did this make you fell big all authoritative?? You offered to pass on some real life experiences .... Any difference here? other than perhaps bragging rights?

All WE are trying to do is help with passing on experiences, and letting her see how it will work for her. We includes you my friend. We need to play nice in the sand box.

And before you suggest it, no I haven't picked up these "cool" catch phrases from Guns & Ammo mags. I have spent the last 20+ years training with and instructing firearms. I'm not bragging, just pointing out that somebody not in the POLICE OFFICER SECTION ONLY is actually able to have quality if not similar training such as yourself there.

I'm not picking a fight, I'm just standing up to somebody that marginalizes another as he assumes far too much in comparing himself.

Stay Safe
"Heros In Life, Not Death" Ontario's Police Officer Memorial

"Friendly Fire, Isn't"
"Incoming Fire Has The Right-of-way."
"Do Something, ...It Maybe Wrong, But Do Something" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Gard
King Poobah

Postby Gard » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:55 pm

Passing on experience are you? So reading an article in a law enforcement equates to experience now?

How is blathering about the crap you do helping Vonn with her original question? At least I offered to discuss the fundamentals of shooting with her....unlike yourself.

As for discussing my tactical training...I only do that with fellow police officers. I'll help anybody with the basics of shooting as I'm not one of the many police officers against personal firearm ownership, long or handgun.

However, I can see why many police officers want to distance themselves from the ones who spout all the over-the-top tactical crap you see in here.

But carry on, Ike.
26 + 6 = 1

dira necessitas
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby dira necessitas » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:18 pm

:popcorn:
I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but let's take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Mister E
Rookie Member

Postby Mister E » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:30 pm

Gard wrote: But carry on, Ike.

:bow: One of the new guys at work just got a new nickname. Classic.

Mister E
Rookie Member

Postby Mister E » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:18 pm

amccrae2 wrote: :oops: I don't track.. anyone care to enlighten me? :thumbsup:

Ike Clanton was part of the gunfight at O.K Corral. He was in conflict with Wyatt Earp and his crew.
Clanton was known as having loose lips and for boasting. He also fled from the gunfight.

I think thats the connotation anyway. I could be wrong. :oops:

I don't really know who Gard is talking about here, but it fits perfectly for someone I know.

Gard
King Poobah

Postby Gard » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:26 am

Striker wrote:Wow..are you going to help her climb up on your high horse so she gets the same sight picture you do? :roll:
I didn't reply to her because others here have already answered her question correctly..but you offer her some advice via PM so no one will ridicule or question it. That way she will take it as gospel.

Guess I'm not the only one with a crystal ball.

I guess no one else finds it silly that when a person asks a simple question about a sight picture and they get bombarded with something that sounds like it came from a bad Hollywood script:

"Welcome to the Tackleberry and Striker shooting school. Any questions so far?"

Shooter: "Well, I was wondering about what a proper sight picture should look like."

"You have to have the tactical mindset of a survivor mentality!!! Oh yeeesss you do! Equal height, equal light maggot!!! Train to fight so you can fight on a train!!! The bullets travel real fast!!!! You don't wanna be in no deadly force encounters in a crowded parking lot!!! Oh, noooooo you do not!!!!"

Silly. Carry on with your tactical whatnots and your deadly encounter what-have-you.
26 + 6 = 1

dusty
Grand Poobah

Postby dusty » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:20 am

I'm pretty sure he's not criticizing Dave because he doesn't throw out cliche "combat" advice to somebody who's got no need for it and is shooting paper targets. If she wants to be a civvy commando she can sign up for soldier of fortune magazine all on her own.
I personally did it for the money and the glory... my disappointment was tempered by the fact that I got a gun and a fast car-VanB

dira necessitas
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby dira necessitas » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:26 pm

Gard wrote: Train to fight so you can fight on a train!!!

LMAO
I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but let's take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

TackleberryG22

Postby TackleberryG22 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:55 am

Striker, don't feed the geese.
"Heros In Life, Not Death" Ontario's Police Officer Memorial

"Friendly Fire, Isn't"
"Incoming Fire Has The Right-of-way."
"Do Something, ...It Maybe Wrong, But Do Something" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch