CBSA & RCMP Course of Fire

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.
48highlander
Rookie Member

Re: CBSA & RCMP Course of Fire

Postby 48highlander » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:53 am

portcullisguy wrote:
Gard wrote:
portcullisguy wrote:Probably me! :oops:

I know I missed a perfect score only by 1 shot going off the 5, during the day we had to shoot outdoors -- when the indoor range was having problems with the ventilation system. So yeah it would have had to have been a 248.. oops, my bad...

I was there that day. That indoor range seems like it's going to burn down on a regular basis but it never does.

Seems like quite a nice range, too. Shame if it's suffering from mechanical issues frequently. I'm used to civvie ranges that have the fancy target holders on the wires, but I can see the usefulness of having a nice big open range like the indoor one at Connaught - you can get very creative with range training in that case.

I did some live-fire house clearing in Florida, with the army, a couple years back, and you want to talk about dynamic! But you certainly pay attention to where your shots are going when your mate is breaching a building and blatting rounds off, and you are the cover guy pouring rounds into the same building from outside of it. A nice big open range made it possible to do safely, without lanes marked off, etc.

I remember that, best training ever!!! Hopefully we get to do some of that this year up here.

ICE23
Rookie Member

Postby ICE23 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:35 am

Just a question, with the CBSA having to hire 400 new officers, are those officers being sent for their gun course right after Rigaud?

Gadget
Seasoned Member

Postby Gadget » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:00 am

ICE23 wrote:Just a question, with the CBSA having to hire 400 new officers, are those officers being sent for their gun course right after Rigaud?

It's based on the seniority of those who have expressed interest in attending voluntarily.
NO! I don't know when they're hiring dammit! No one does.

ICE23
Rookie Member

Postby ICE23 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:04 am

Gadget wrote:
ICE23 wrote:Just a question, with the CBSA having to hire 400 new officers, are those officers being sent for their gun course right after Rigaud?

It's based on the seniority of those who have expressed interest in attending voluntarily.

So for instance I am leaving for Rigaud in Mid August and I went through psych does that mean at some point after my training that I would than complete gun course prior to my report date?

Gadget
Seasoned Member

Postby Gadget » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:27 am

No. Once in the field you will be placed on a list of seniority based candidates at your Port. Your Port will be allocated a number of seats based on it's size and relative traffic flow. The busier the Port, the more seats. My Port sees an average of 3-6 seats per course which is second or third in priority. I'd estimate that new recruits posted here are looking at 3+ years before they'll be eligible for the course. Unless posted to say Windsor, Niagara region, or the Pac Highway region, you'll definitely see a longer wait, but then, you also have to take into account the number of officers at your Port.
NO! I don't know when they're hiring dammit! No one does.

IMthePheonix
Sage Member

Postby IMthePheonix » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:17 am

I'm surprised they are not doing the training while they are still at Rigaud and thus paying them less. Plus no additional travel costs. Oh yeah, Federal gov't. why save the tax payers money?
Strippers have $1's, Waitresses have $5's, Drug dealers have $20s. Smurfette_76 on O.com

Actus Reus
Grand Poobah

Postby Actus Reus » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:32 am

Construction of the indoor and outdoor ranges at Rigaud hasn't started yet. That's why they're not doing the training there.
For by wise counsel thou shalt wage thy war.

ICE23
Rookie Member

Postby ICE23 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:38 am

Oh I see, I just received a call from one of the chiefs and he advised my Port will be CFB Trenton.

sunsetson

Postby sunsetson » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:42 am

In terms of scores, do they issue 'cross pistols' or 'crowns' for high or perfect scores? I believe for most PS these are issed following firearm certification. Not sure about other agencies...anyone?

Rob
Grand Poobah

Postby Rob » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:11 am

Crazy Guy: Forget about the badge, when do we get the freaking gun?
Wiggum: Hey, you don't get the gun until you tell me your name.
'You sleep well in your bed at night only because a few rough men are willing to do violent things on your behalf"
George Orwell.

"Some times upholding the law is messy, but you get by, one day at a time"
Eric Cartman

Semper ubi sub ubi

ICE23
Rookie Member

Postby ICE23 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:16 pm

Rob wrote:

Rob great sarcastic comment, but you would be barking up the wrong tree!

Rob
Grand Poobah

Postby Rob » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:00 pm

ICE23 wrote:
Rob wrote:

Rob great sarcastic comment, but you would be barking up the wrong tree!

It's a quote from the Simpson's....lighten up
'You sleep well in your bed at night only because a few rough men are willing to do violent things on your behalf"
George Orwell.

"Some times upholding the law is messy, but you get by, one day at a time"
Eric Cartman

Semper ubi sub ubi