CBSA & RCMP Course of Fire

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: CBSA & RCMP Course of Fire

Postby Dave Brown » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:32 pm

Good story, and thanks.

The Weaver stance takes many hours of training and hours and hours a month to practice so it becomes a dominant stance under stress. If one can't devote that time, they shouldn't be shooting it.

(One of the corollaries to the principle of DFWWW, is that it actually has to WORK - hence, the name. If it don't work, then it is time to move on and learn the RIGHT way.)

PHB
King Poobah

Postby PHB » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:18 am

Guess what I learned how to do? I learned the Ayoob method of holding a flashlight and a pistol at the same time!
RCMP Members Email this guy and leave the Legal Fund:

agclarke@istar.ca

For Our Future! http://www.mppac.ca PROUD UPSTART

El Conejo
Grand Poobah

Postby El Conejo » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:01 am

Okaaaay..... :ponder:

That seemed to come out of left field, am I missing something.

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:55 am

PHB wrote:Guess what I learned how to do? I learned the Ayoob method of holding a flashlight and a pistol at the same time!

I prefer the Arby method. Pistol in one hand... sammich in the other
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:53 am

Yeah, don't worry about it. He is just having fun at my expense. He knows I think the Ayoob method is the second-dumbest flashlight technique on the face of the earth.

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:01 pm

I use my muzzle flash to light my way...
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.

PHB
King Poobah

Postby PHB » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:58 am

El Conejo wrote:Okaaaay..... :ponder:

That seemed to come out of left field, am I missing something.

I was trying to fire Dave up! I couldn't help thinking about some posts on here when we were being taught the technique. My second thought was "How the fuck is this gonna work?" LOL!
RCMP Members Email this guy and leave the Legal Fund:

agclarke@istar.ca

For Our Future! http://www.mppac.ca PROUD UPSTART

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:43 pm

The "how the fuck is this going to work?" question should be applied to anything and everything we do in firearms training. Much as I always maintain we shouldn't be doing stuff "just because," we must also acknowledge that some of the so-called "modern techniques" were just invented to fulfill some self-aggrandizing agendas (the "Ayoob" flashlight method) or were designed to sell expensive training to police agencies who were thrilled at spectacular demonstrations from professional instructors but SHOULD have perhaps been thinking about whether the techniques would ever work with their OWN officers on the street (the CAR method - thankfully - hooray - now dropped from training by the only agency in Canada who tried this dumbass technique.)

The only legacy I will leave in this world is - aside from a few angry Blue Line advertisers over the years - is the "Brown" flashlight method I invented as a sarcastic dig at techniques such as the Ayoob method:

On the other hand, there are flashlight methods that work and work well, but I am more and more these days letting officers try them for themselves and seeing the limitations of ANY method that doesn't attach a flashlight to the gun. For street officers, the reality is that the flashlight will be held over the shoulder in the support hand where they are most used to searching with it, and if the sidearm is suddenly needed, it is drawn and fired one-handed. If one doesn't have a few moments to prepare gun and flashlight, the one-handed firing is quick, effective and reasonably accurate at combat distances. (One of the reasons we always need to practice one-handed shooting!)

After all, another 'Dave Brown-ism' is that we should not be practicing only what we are GOOD at; we should be practicing what we are BAD at. No practice day should be complete until one has drawn, fired and reloaded one-handed.

(But then again, what the hell do I know? I just invented the WORST flashlight technique in history!)

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:56 pm

Dave Brown wrote:Image

Hey... Don't down play the utility of "tape" . Especially Grade 'A' number '1' Canadian Tactical Hockey-Tape! :mrgreen:

Keeps my flashlight mounted and much less expensive than those fancy schmancy rail "systems"

Admit nothing.
Deny everything.