CBSA & RCMP Course of Fire

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.
oilerjet
Veteran Member

CBSA & RCMP Course of Fire

Postby oilerjet » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:12 pm

Can anyone share what/how you are tested for the course of fire? Looking at size of target and distances shot from. I assume both CBSA and RCMP are the same, but correct me if I am wrong.

Gadget
Seasoned Member

Re: CBSA & RCMP Course of Fire

Postby Gadget » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:13 pm

oilerjet wrote:Can anyone share what/how you are tested for the course of fire? Looking at size of target and distances shot from. I assume both CBSA and RCMP are the same, but correct me if I am wrong.

http://www.aarongooding.com/ftu/ftu/PistolQualification.htm
NO! I don't know when they're hiring dammit! No one does.

oilerjet
Veteran Member

Postby oilerjet » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:27 pm

Thanks, just got it PMd to me. Any idea what size of target/zone it is? Its all rather relative without knowing that. Thanks.

Gadget
Seasoned Member

Postby Gadget » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:53 pm

Looks (sorta) like this:

[url]http://glarp.atk.com/2005_images/LE_2005/Federal/pages/Police%20Target-Paper.htm
[/url]

Scoring is totally different tho. The target is specifically designed for RCMP.

As for size, well, it's about the size of a 5'7" person or taller.

Best I can do.
NO! I don't know when they're hiring dammit! No one does.

portcullisguy
Grand Poobah

Postby portcullisguy » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:00 pm

Striker wrote:I was going to say, the RCMP use a standard B-27 silhouette. Not sure if it's black, blue or green though... :roll:

It's not quite "standard". The silhouette is, but the scoring rings are an RCMP invention. The target has both a tactical and marksmanship scoring zone marked on it, and the zones are marked for 5, 3 and 2 point scores (or 0 if you miss the silhouette).

So, during the 50-shot course of fire, the highest possible score is 250 (50 x 5 = 250).

We saw both a green and a blue silhouette. Apparently, blue wasn't favoured ... something about shooting at people wearing blue sending the wrong message to the coppers/BSOs. :)
portcullisguy
"You work your side of the street, I'll work mine."

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Perhaps years ago, someone with balls could have suggested complainants look up the definition of "silhouette." I personally have never seen a silhouette in any other colour than black because that's what a silhouette IS ...

Which is why I will never be PM or a judge.

VoteQuimby

Postby VoteQuimby » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:44 pm

The RCMP targets stored at the range I use shows the X, 10, 9 and 8 rings as 5 points. The 7 ring is 4 points then the silhouette is 3 points. Is this wrong? Some of you guys are saying the 7 ring is only worth 3 points?
Son, we live in a world that has walls and those walls need to be guarded by men with guns.

OnTalyn
Seasoned Member

Postby OnTalyn » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:33 pm

The points for the RCMP targets are 5, 3, 2 and 0. The center ring is X but still only worth 5 points.

Jim Street
King Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:02 pm

Just a question........does the RCMP course of fire for qualifying more hinge on marksmanship and tight target pattern? I am assuming it does I just haven't fired it. As well, would the firing stance be considered a Weaver stance?
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

portcullisguy
Grand Poobah

Postby portcullisguy » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:20 am

Jim Street wrote:Just a question........does the RCMP course of fire for qualifying more hinge on marksmanship and tight target pattern? I am assuming it does I just haven't fired it. As well, would the firing stance be considered a Weaver stance?

A tight pattern never hurts... the tighter it is when you are starting out, the tighter it is at 25 m, where the pattern is at the widest. But the idea is the whole should go roughly where you intend them to go. ;)

The Weaver stance is not taught. The correct stance would be the one that takes best advantage of your self-carried cover (your ballistic vest).
portcullisguy
"You work your side of the street, I'll work mine."

dusty
Grand Poobah

Postby dusty » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:39 am

The weaver stance isn't generally taught because its for more advanced shooters, ie. tac teams. The isosceles stance is taught because it's simple and easy and without extensive training it's the one you'll insinctively revert to when confronted with a threat in a high risk situation. The weaver stance is taught to tac team members (and military) because they have much more time to train with it and commit it to muscle memory (not once or twice a year to requal). The weaver is more tactical in regards to movement, and using cover/concealment (with very little difference in vest coverage if used properly). I'm not saying the isoceles isn't good for what its used for, just that the weaver is more tactically sound with the proper amount of training.
I personally did it for the money and the glory... my disappointment was tempered by the fact that I got a gun and a fast car-VanB