sabot slugs for deer hunting

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.
T.M.DIESEL
King Poobah

Re: sabot slugs for deer hunting

Postby T.M.DIESEL » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:03 pm

Grassynarrows wrote:Where I hunt its more practical to use a fully rifled 12 ga with sabot slugs, my shots are mainly 100 yards and closer.I can use a rifle,but it's thick brush and the slug works best for me.

Thinking where you are, can't you just hit them over the head with the barrel. :P
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." -- Unknown

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to
take everything you have.--Thomas Jefferson

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:56 pm

lol too funny. I sit in a tree stand when I hunt so itd have to be a pretty long barrel.
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

RDS
Rookie Member

Postby RDS » Tue May 13, 2008 2:33 pm

Not sure if anyone else has used them, but the Lightfield slugs (http://www.lightfieldslugs.com/) are incredible, if you can find them in Canada.

I used them on a hunt in the U.S. and have never shot a more accurate sabot out of my Savage 210F bolt action shotgun.

The Hornady slugs were all over the map when I tried them out at the range. Based on the results I got, I wouldn't even think about taking them into the bush with me. But, different guns and barrels like different ammunition.
RPAT: June 25th, 2009 - PASSED
Package Received: August 12th, 2009

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Tue May 13, 2008 4:49 pm

i'll have to try some out, I've got an 870 modded out with truglo red dot, fully rifled barrel,synthetic stock, and it seems to like the SST, I will try the lightfields though.I also have a fun 870 with smoothbore barrel,rifle sights, and collapsible stock. It likes the challenger slugs best.
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

cmj
Rookie Member

Postby cmj » Tue May 13, 2008 5:57 pm

Hit 'em in the rear with a load like that and their won't be much left to eat. That would go for most loads I suppose but that slug will save you from having to grind your burger meat later.

Tinman
Grand Poobah

Postby Tinman » Tue May 13, 2008 7:23 pm

cmj wrote:Hit 'em in the rear with a load like that and their won't be much left to eat. That would go for most loads I suppose but that slug will save you from having to grind your burger meat later.

:roll:
Say what you mean. Do what you say.

Jim Street
Poobah Overlord

Postby Jim Street » Tue May 13, 2008 8:15 pm

Huhhuhhuh, he said "load", Beavis.
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

cmj
Rookie Member

Postby cmj » Tue May 13, 2008 9:00 pm

Tinman wrote:
cmj wrote:Hit 'em in the rear with a load like that and their won't be much left to eat. That would go for most loads I suppose but that slug will save you from having to grind your burger meat later.

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Tue May 13, 2008 11:07 pm

I shoot my deer in the lungs. No wasted meat that way. I pick my shots and take the shot only when I am 100 percent sure of making the shot. :sniper:

RDS
Rookie Member

Postby RDS » Wed May 14, 2008 2:24 am

Those that 'hit'em in the rear' should be spending more time at the range and less time in the bush. I've done enough shooting over the years to know what my firearms (and myself) are capable of...I'd hope the same for the majority of hunters out there. Unfortunately, I know that's not the case.

The Lightfield slugs hit very hard. All three deer I've harvested with them dropped on the spot.
RPAT: June 25th, 2009 - PASSED
Package Received: August 12th, 2009

cmj
Rookie Member

Postby cmj » Wed May 14, 2008 6:26 am

I meant my comment half heartedly. I have only seen a deer taken once with a slug and the guy nailed him in the rear leg and the amount of damage was huge, so that is what comes to mind for me. It is amazing to see how far deer can go sometimes with a "fatal shot". Won't try to talk balistics with you guys but thought I would make a comment on an experience I had. Carry on gentlemen.
Last edited by cmj on Wed May 14, 2008 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Wed May 14, 2008 3:46 pm

ahh ok no worries. What is your favorite slug load for deer?

cmj
Rookie Member

Postby cmj » Wed May 14, 2008 6:05 pm

As you have likely surmised, I have no further knowledge beyond my contribution in the above statements. :D I haven't hunted since my teens. I do come from a family of avid hunters and I only stopped when I had to start buying my own equipment lol. I have great memories of hunting with family that are no longer here. I will now exit with pride partially intact.

Tinman
Grand Poobah

Postby Tinman » Wed May 14, 2008 10:01 pm

cmj wrote:As you have likely surmised, I have no further knowledge

Roger that.
Say what you mean. Do what you say.

cmj
Rookie Member

Postby cmj » Thu May 15, 2008 7:27 am

Tinman wrote:
cmj wrote:As you have likely surmised, I have no further knowledge

Roger that.

All in fun...and uh sorry Tinman if I stole your thunder with my first post. Roger Dodger.