sabot slugs for deer hunting

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.
RDS
Rookie Member

Re: sabot slugs for deer hunting

Postby RDS » Thu May 15, 2008 10:43 am

cmj wrote:I meant my comment half heartedly. I have only seen a deer taken once with a slug and the guy nailed him in the rear leg and the amount of damage was huge, so that is what comes to mind for me. It is amazing to see how far deer can go sometimes with a "fatal shot". Won't try to talk balistics with you guys but thought I would make a comment on an experience I had. Carry on gentlemen.

No worries there bud.

During my many years of hunting and shooting (adult + apprentice) I've seen some guys (and girls) make some really bad shots. I even quit the deer camp that my Grandfather went to for years because the guys that hunted there thought that their rifles were sighted in perfectly year after year after year and that they could shoot a fly off a horse's ass without any practice whatsoever. It's disheartening to see meat wasted and even more disheartening to think that an animal suffered a rather agonizing death because someone thought their rifle was sighted in properly and that they could make a 200+ yard shot with no practice.

I'm at the range usually twice a week, honing skills that I first started working on at a very young age under my Grandfather's guidance. I love the shooting sports and I love hunting, but I know in order to be proficient at either, I have to practice.

I get my compound and long bow out twice a week too. If you think the guys that make bad shots with a gun are bad...you should see what happens when a bow is put in the hands of someone who doesn't practice at all. My butcher has told me a couple stories about finding broadheads in the hind quarters of an animal that had been there for a year or two.

There are hunters...and then there are killers. The hunters have enough respect for the animal to hone their skills and dispatch it quickly.
RPAT: June 25th, 2009 - PASSED
Package Received: August 12th, 2009

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Fri May 16, 2008 4:19 pm

The worst thing I saw was a deer wih a broadhead equipped arrow through its face. Ths deer was running around where I hunt. I got close enough for a good clean shot with my rifle and ended its suffering.
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Fri May 16, 2008 4:21 pm

Should also add I believe Bowhunting is an art form and neds constant practice to keep your skills sharp. I have bowhunted for 13 years and I shoot a lot to keep my skills sharp, and my equipment tuned and sighted in.
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

dira necessitas
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby dira necessitas » Sun May 18, 2008 5:53 am

Hey Grassy do you have any experience with 20 gauge shot guns? Looking at something like this:

http://www.remington.com/products/firea ... _20-ga.asp

I wonder what kind of stopping power this has with a sabot slug.
I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but let's take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Sun May 18, 2008 2:09 pm

In my experience a 20 gauge works well on almost any game. 20 gauge slugs are also pretty potent on deer. Check your ballistics for the loads and this will provide more insight into energy,velocity etc.I had a 20 gauge single I used for ruffed grouse, and it worked extremely well. I have a scattergun 12 ga . what are you going to use it for?

dira necessitas
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby dira necessitas » Sun May 18, 2008 3:21 pm

To shoot stuff.
I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but let's take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Sun May 18, 2008 11:49 pm

Ok it should suit your needs very well then.

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Mon May 19, 2008 12:02 am

I should add that a 20 gauge sabot is an excellent deer round. 20 Gauge sabots have an excellent ballistic coefficient, and hit very hard.Most 20 gauge slugs are around 7/8 of a ounce in weight, a 12 gauge is 1 ounce in weight.

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:08 pm

Got my 870 all dialed in for deer,it prints cloverleafs at 100 yrds with Hornady SSTs