sabot slugs for deer hunting

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.
Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

sabot slugs for deer hunting

Postby Grassynarrows » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:10 pm

Anyone using a rifled barrel 12 gauge shotgun with sabot slugs for deer hunting?
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

Tinman
Grand Poobah

Postby Tinman » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:46 pm

yep.
Say what you mean. Do what you say.

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:10 pm

What kind of ammo are you using?? What type of gun are you using? reason I ask is I have an 870 with the fully rifled barrel, and I'm curious what loads work best for deer. I have had good target success with the Hornady SST so far, but i'm curious about deer.
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

Tinman
Grand Poobah

Postby Tinman » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:45 pm

Grassynarrows wrote:What kind of ammo are you using?? What type of gun are you using? reason I ask is I have an 870 with the fully rifled barrel, and I'm curious what loads work best for deer. I have had good target success with the Hornady SST so far, but i'm curious about deer.

I would suspect Dave will jump in here at some point, but I'll throw in my 2 cents. It depends what kind of bush you're hunting in. Under 100 yards a non-sabot slug will do the job no problem. Personally with those I try to keep it to 50 yards with those to get good shot placement. Open areas and fields are different. Most would recomend the Hornady SST or the Brenneke- but I've heard good things about the Winchester product- forget the model number. Have a look at the link for some reading on the topic.

http://www.nrapublications.org/tah/Slugs.asp

Good hunting. If you find yourself down my way during the season look me up.
Say what you mean. Do what you say.

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:15 pm

Thanks for the info bro, will do, likewise to yourself

Paul R
Seasoned Member

Postby Paul R » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:09 pm

I also have an 870 with the fully rifled barrel. I used to shoot the winchester sabots (not sure which kind but they looked like an hourglass, the slug itself). Now I shoot Remington Coppersolid sabots. I also put a 1.5-4x scope on it a few years ago and have been putting deer in the freezer since.
"I'd rather have the gear and not need it, than need the gear and not have it."

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:10 pm

Excellent!! Thanks!!

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Re: sabot slugs for deer hunting

Postby Grassynarrows » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:50 pm

juat a note to say i was getting 1.5 inch groups with hornady SSTs from the 870 and I got 2 deer last fall with the 12 ga. I got another 870 and it has a red dot on it. I put the rifled barrel on it and am hoping to get some great accuracy with the red dot.

ryan.p
Rookie Member

Postby ryan.p » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:05 am

Be sure to pull out any choke before shooting slugs.....thats my tip!
| Now on board with VanB's 5 step program |

Paul R
Seasoned Member

Postby Paul R » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:12 pm

Grassy
How do you like the Hornadys? I've heard some good things and was thinking about getting some for my rifled 870.
"I'd rather have the gear and not need it, than need the gear and not have it."

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:35 pm

love em, they hit hard and shoot flat

Mark S
Poobah Overlord

Postby Mark S » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:10 am

Why not use a rifle?
Welcome to Winnipeg. We were born here, what's your excuse?

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:15 pm

Mark S wrote:Why not use a rifle?

'Some places/times shotguns are the only firearms allowed... No rifles.
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:46 pm

I know someone who took a moose down with a 12 gauge Winchester Supreme Partition Gold Sabot Slug. These seem to be more of a conventional hollow point bullet design.

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:45 am

Where I hunt its more practical to use a fully rifled 12 ga with sabot slugs, my shots are mainly 100 yards and closer.I can use a rifle,but it's thick brush and the slug works best for me.