6.5x55 mauser

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer, Dave Brown

Striker
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Re: 6.5x55 mauser

Postby Striker » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:41 pm

thanks..hopefully it is a shooter.. only took me around 4 years to finish it. :mrgreen:
"I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I’ll kill you all."

Grassynarrows
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Grassynarrows » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:19 pm

thats a nice rifle
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

Grassynarrows
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Grassynarrows » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:07 pm

Found me another Mauser this ones a shooter. Got it off a gunsmith that modded it a bit and wow does it shoot.1.25 at 100 m was the first group I shot with some 120 grain pills. Then the next group was 1 inch.
Have to get a bit better scope with more magnification and see how that does
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

Striker
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Striker » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:21 am

Grassynarrows wrote:Found me another Mauser this ones a shooter. Got it off a gunsmith that modded it a bit and wow does it shoot.1.25 at 100 m was the first group I shot with some 120 grain pills. Then the next group was 1 inch.
Have to get a bit better scope with more magnification and see how that does
I'm still working on mine. Mostly working on the guy holding it though. :oops:
"I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I’ll kill you all."

Grassynarrows
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Grassynarrows » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:57 pm

I got this one to shoot under an inch

Striker
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Striker » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:25 pm

Grassynarrows wrote:I got this one to shoot under an inch
mine will shoot..a friend got a 1-1/2 3 round group at 200 yards. My problem is eye relief. I put a thinner recoil pad on it and I have to mess around with the scope so I consistently get the same position, eye relief.

Xoxiliv
Rookie Member

Postby Xoxiliv » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:05 pm

Just waiting for my Sako 85 in a 6.5 x 55 to arrive. November booked off for deer hunting...should be a good time.

Any opinions on what optics I should mount on top?
"We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us"

Striker
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Striker » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:17 pm

Xoxiliv wrote:Just waiting for my Sako 85 in a 6.5 x 55 to arrive. November booked off for deer hunting...should be a good time.

Any opinions on what optics I should mount on top?
the aboslute best you can afford..
I went with a fixed 10X and sorry I did now. I'm partial to mil dot recticles too.

Grassynarrows
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Grassynarrows » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:49 pm

I'm tinkering with an 8 mm mauser k98 now

Longarm9
King Poobah

Postby Longarm9 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:35 am

Grassynarrows wrote:I'm tinkering with an 8 mm mauser k98 now
Provided it's not a late war model, 44-45 ish, you're sure to have an outstanding base to work from. The German made Mauser actions are superbly accurate and beautifully made. I'm not a huge fan of "sporterizing" original military rifles, but if you rebarrel it and free float the barrel, bed the action etc. you're very likely to achieve significant gains in accuracy. BTW, not all late war k98s are bad, but obviously the Reich was not doing so great and getting a little desperate in those years and the quality on some of them was very sub-par as they were cranking them out as fast as humanly possible to stem the tide of the red hordes on their door step.

In case you were wondering, if you rebarrel it, you can shoot .308Win out of that action no problem. I have an FN commerical Mauser 98 action originally chambered in 30-06 that I used as a base to build a custom rifle in .308Win and it cycles with no difficulty despite the shorter cartridge length of the .308 vs 30-06.
"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." -John Stuart Mill

Grassynarrows
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Grassynarrows » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:20 pm

Thanks
Gonna keep it stock

Longarm9
King Poobah

Postby Longarm9 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:41 pm

Grassynarrows wrote:Thanks
Gonna keep it stock
Good choice! :D There are probably some minor "tweaks" you can do to it to maximize accuracy in the stock configuration. There's probably a K98 enthusiast forum somewhere that knows all the secret tricks to squeeze the tightest groups out of one.

I always found that mine shot very nicely as-is.
"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." -John Stuart Mill

Grassynarrows
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Grassynarrows » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:26 pm

I like it