6.5x55 mauser

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer, Dave Brown

Grassynarrows
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

6.5x55 mauser

Postby Grassynarrows » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:01 pm

Anyone using this caliber for hunting or target shooting??
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

Striker
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Striker » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:37 pm

I own a Karl G although I haven't got it geared up yet.
A friend has one as well and is gearing it up for yote hunting (as I am too).
He's managed a 3-1/2" group at 500 yards with handloads with the original barrel.
They are "famous" for their accuracy.
I've been told the Carl Gustav rifles are better then the Husqvarna's but I don't know if there is any truth to that.

They are usually a very good price around here. I got mine for $95. It has the original length barrel but the stock has been bubba'd, which isn't a concern because I plan on swapping it for a thumb hole style.
The "pistol grip" of the stock doesn't have much of a downward angle to it and I find it extremely uncomfortable to shoot.

If you like bolt guns that shoot..you'll like the 6.5.

Grassynarrows
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Grassynarrows » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:08 pm

Thanks for the info.I lucked out mine is the carbine version, and has an aftermarket synthetic stock and simmons 3-9x scope, it really shoots good. I'm looking at using it for deer hunting this fall.
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

Striker
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Striker » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:03 pm

Grassynarrows wrote:Thanks for the info.I lucked out mine is the carbine version, and has an aftermarket synthetic stock and simmons 3-9x scope, it really shoots good. I'm looking at using it for deer hunting this fall.
You wouldn't happen to have the original stock would you? A friend has a carbine and wants to restore it to original.

INTERCEPTOR
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby INTERCEPTOR » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:26 pm

6.5x55mm is an awesome little round. I've know more than a few hunters that have used a 140gr bullet to take moose with little problem. As a deer cartridge it's perfect! The newer .260 Remington is very close ballistically but I like the nostalgia of the old Swede.
Lions all the way!

Grassynarrows
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Grassynarrows » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:13 pm

good to hear,nope i swapped for this one and it came with the synthetic stock.Hope to bag aoose with it this fall

TackleberryG22
Seasoned Member

Postby TackleberryG22 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:52 am

A super round!!

I have had a Carl G for 13yrs. now and I have used it successfully with groundhogs, (average 100 - 300yrds) to white tail and well moose "smell it in the bush" and have stayed away.

It was sporterized before I got it, but the bolt was turned, the action glassbedded, and a loupald 1 pc. base mounted on it and the barrel taken back to about 20-22"

Have a basic Bushnell 3x9 BDC with range finder on it. Harris bipod on and I'm good to go year around.

Nice flat shooter.
"Heros In Life, Not Death" Ontario's Police Officer Memorial

"Friendly Fire, Isn't"
"Incoming Fire Has The Right-of-way."
"Do Something, ...It Maybe Wrong, But Do Something" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Grassynarrows
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Grassynarrows » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:05 pm

goood to hear. I Hope to try it out one of these days.

Grassynarrows
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Re: 6.5x55 mauser

Postby Grassynarrows » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:52 pm

just a note to say I tried mine out and am super impressed with it.

Striker
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Striker » Sun May 18, 2008 8:13 pm

Here is mine as I bought it.

Here it is in my yet to be finished Richards Microfit Thumb hole stock.

I still need the bolt handle turned and drilled and tapped for a scope. I picked up a Bushnell 3200 Elite Tactical for it.
I'm also getting the barrel swapped for a 20" heavy stainless eventually.
Last edited by Striker on Thu May 07, 2009 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I’ll kill you all."

Grassynarrows
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Grassynarrows » Sun May 18, 2008 11:51 pm

Outstanding!!nice gun! :sniper: :sniper:

Striker
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Striker » Mon May 19, 2008 10:21 am

Grassynarrows wrote:Outstanding!!nice gun! :sniper: :sniper:
Thanks. I had to do a little work on the stock to get the action to fit and still have to sand it and finish it with something.
It's been fun so far..but I haven't screwed anything up yet.
"I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I’ll kill you all."

Mark S
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Mark S » Mon May 19, 2008 3:32 pm

Striker wrote:Here is mine as I bought it.

Here it is in my yet to be finished Richards Microfit Thumb hole stock.

I still need the bolt handle turned and drilled and tapped for a scope. I picked up a Bushnell 3200 Elite Tactical for it.
I'm also getting the barrel swapped for a 20" heavy stainless eventually.
That's very nice but what's going to happen when the wife comes home and hits the garage door opener?
Welcome to Winnipeg. We were born here, what's your excuse?

Striker
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Striker » Mon May 19, 2008 6:04 pm

Mark S wrote:
Striker wrote:Here is mine as I bought it.
That's very nice but what's going to happen when the wife comes home and hits the garage door opener?
She would rather it be in the garage then the bedroom. :mrgreen:

Grassynarrows
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Grassynarrows » Tue May 20, 2008 9:24 pm

have you fired it yet?? How does it shoot??