Want to buy a hand gun. What all do I need?

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.
SD_SC1
Rookie Member

Want to buy a hand gun. What all do I need?

Postby SD_SC1 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:54 am

In terms of licencing, permits, yadda yadda yadda. Do I need a special permit to transport a hand gun from Alberta to Saskatchewan and vice versa?
Sed libera nos a malo.

SD_SC1
Rookie Member

Postby SD_SC1 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:01 pm

OPPAux wrote:Ohhhh, good God. :roll:

I'm actually a pretty safe gun handler, especially considering I've had to use the wrong handed gun. I'm also pretty accurate at target shooting.
Sed libera nos a malo.

RJB
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby RJB » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:06 pm

:troll:

Burick
Veteran Member

Postby Burick » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:06 pm

1) Take your CFSC and CRFSC. (you must take both)
2) Apply for your firearms license (aka PAL). Be sure to indicate you want both restricted and non-restricted. Application fee will be $80.
3) Make sure you can follow all the safe storage requirements before you actually buy the gun.
4) Buy it. The CFO will have to approve the transfer of registration to you.
5) When it's approved, you will need a temporary ATT (Authorization to transport) to bring it home.
6) If you wish to transport it to other places, you will need to obtain an ATT to do so.

SD_SC1
Rookie Member

Postby SD_SC1 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:11 pm

Winterpegger wrote:1) Take your CFSC and CRFSC. (you must take both)
2) Apply for your firearms license (aka PAL). Be sure to indicate you want both restricted and non-restricted. Application fee will be $80.
3) Make sure you can follow all the safe storage requirements before you actually buy the gun.
5) When it's approved, you will need a temporary ATT (Authorization to transport) to bring it home.
6) If you wish to transport it to other places, you will need to obtain an ATT to do so.

Thanks.

How long is an ATT good for?
Sed libera nos a malo.

SD_SC1
Rookie Member

Postby SD_SC1 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:12 pm

RJB wrote::troll:

I'm not a troll!
Sed libera nos a malo.

Burick
Veteran Member

Postby Burick » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:22 pm

SD_SC1 wrote:
Winterpegger wrote:1) Take your CFSC and CRFSC. (you must take both)

Thanks.

How long is an ATT good for?

It can vary. You would be best off contacting your CFO and asking. The longest they can be issued for is 5 years and only to the specific places listed on the ATT.

http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/cfo/cfo_list_e.asp?PC=SA

You can also apply via this form: http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/online-en_lig ... /679_e.pdf
Last edited by Burick on Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

INTERCEPTOR
Rookie Member

Postby INTERCEPTOR » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:26 pm

My Att's are issued for transport to any club in Alberta 24/7 and run for the entire 5 years my PAL is good for. Just ask for these parameters and they should issue it.

If I travel to shoots outside Alberta I have to phone to get a temp ATT for whatever province I'm going to.

If I want to put my pistol in my waistband under my jacket and go to the mall I don't need an ATT. Just like a criminal. Except I never wanted to do that and never will. :P
Lions all the way!

Actus Reus
Grand Poobah

Postby Actus Reus » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:07 pm

You've proven that you can't handle the relatively simple act of operating a motor vehicle. And now you want a gun???!

I don't think that putting a little sticky-note reminder to yourself on the end of the barrel to not shoot anyone is going to do the trick.
For by wise counsel thou shalt wage thy war.

No 20 Year Medal
King Poobah

Postby No 20 Year Medal » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:25 pm

For a second there, I actually believed her. :shock:

Whew......
POLICE CONSTABLE

My patch traders page: http://public.fotki.com/No20YearMedal/

SD_SC1
Rookie Member

Postby SD_SC1 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:49 pm

Actus Reus wrote:You've proven that you can't handle the relatively simple act of operating a motor vehicle. And now you want a gun???!

Yup!
Sed libera nos a malo.

Gard
King Poobah

Postby Gard » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:22 pm

I have a copy of SD_SC1's driver's licence extract, plus an insurance report and a list of PRO/NICHE occurances linked to her.

I figure if I forward all of that, a bunch of her Blueline posts and a video of her eating tin cans to a firearms officer we'll never have to worry about her getting a licence.

Just kidding. I think you'll make a fine addition to the Interceptor/OneShotTacticalSupply team.
He who allows oppression, shares the crime.
26 + 6 = 1

SD_SC1
Rookie Member

Postby SD_SC1 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:29 pm

Gard wrote:I have a copy of SD_SC1's driver's licence extract, plus an insurance report and a list of PRO/NICHE occurances linked to her.

I figure if I forward all of that, a bunch of her Blueline posts and a video of her eating tin cans to a firearms officer we'll never have to worry about her getting a licence.

Just kidding. I think you'll make a fine addition to the Interceptor/OneShotTacticalSupply team.

Thank you.

Safe gun handling isn't rocket science, and you do require more training to acquire a restricted firearms permit than you do to get a driver's licence.
Sed libera nos a malo.

Canadian Blue
King Poobah

Postby Canadian Blue » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:41 pm

Safe gun handling isn't rocket science, and you do require more training to acquire a restricted firearms permit than you do to get a driver's licence.

Just remember that the barrel with the hole in it is where the bullet comes out and you'll be fine.

I've never seen that video of SD tearing open a pop can...

SD_SC1
Rookie Member

Postby SD_SC1 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:01 pm

Canadian Blue wrote:

Just remember that the barrel with the hole in it is where the bullet comes out and you'll be fine.

I've never seen that video of SD tearing open a pop can...

I'm sure if you use your investigative skills you can find it.
Sed libera nos a malo.