9 mm. - 40 or 45?

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.
Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Re: 9 mm. - 40 or 45?

Postby Respond Wayne » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:15 pm

:tumbleweed:
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

Gard
King Poobah

Postby Gard » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:42 pm

Anyone else find it odd how Wayne always jumps into any thread which even remotely mentions manlove, even in jest?

Hmmm...
He who allows oppression, shares the crime.
26 + 6 = 1

veritas_aequitas
Rookie Member

Postby veritas_aequitas » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:41 pm

Not really. He's in every thread.

Post whore.
va

Let the tard pass. ~ Jason Barr

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:33 pm

Thunder Bay just went to 9mm Glocks for everyone. ETU had them for years.
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

jaycee
Rookie Member

Postby jaycee » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:52 pm

For my money I'd stick with the 9; I'd rather have the magazine capacity than the larger diameter round. Handguns aren't exactly known for impressive stopping power whether they have a 4 in front of them or not. Last time I checked, the 125 gr 357 was still the best all time stopper from the police side, and it never seemed to suffer from the lack of a 4 in front of it. With certain rounds like Winchester's Ranger 127gr +P+, or some of Cor-Bon's offerings, the 9 has for all intents and purposes been transformed into a 357; add a large magazine capacity and you have the best of both worlds. Ask any trauma surgeon if he'd rather work on someone with one large hole or several slightly smaller ones - of the several that I've asked, all replied to the former.

I've always been suspect of 147 gr jhp's; yes they can and do work, but velocity seems to do better work than mass. The main determining factor that one Canadian federal law enforcement agency who shall remain un-named insists on the 147 gr jhp is for use in the MP5-SD, the silenced version of the MP5; to get more effective sound suppression, even though that agency has never had a single shooting with the MP5-SD. I find it incredulous that the officer on the street is saddled with a potentially less effective ammunition for the sake of maybe some day maybe using a silenced MP5 to maybe shoot someone; but probably not. Yes, I understand the simplified logistics of only having only one type of ammunition, but for how often it's actually used, IMHO it makes more sense to keep a small batch of 147gr on hand for the MP5-SD and use THE most effective ammunition on the street.

Greg W
Rookie Member

Postby Greg W » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:00 pm

When our Dept. was evaluating a cartridge for our new P226's we tested 9mm, .40 S&W, and .357 sig. We chose the 40 over the 9mm because of its superior ballistics. The .357 sig was more capable in terms of penetration, but uncomfortable to shoot over a long period of time. (muzzle blast) We thought that some of our officers might not be comfortable with it.
What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Dwight D. Eisenhower, speech to the Republican National Committee, January 31, 1958