What sidearms are used in your Police Service

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.
Solutions
Rookie Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:08 pm
Contact:

What sidearms are used in your Police Service

Postby Solutions » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:31 pm

Sharing of this info, and the good bad and ugly of the products we are using could be helpful.

User avatar
Dave Brown
Site Admin
Posts: 1787
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2000 1:01 am
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

Re: What sidearms are used in your Police Service

Postby Dave Brown » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:15 pm

Much better to ask this question in the private forums. Nothing secret about it as it is public knowledge, and Blue Line does Cross-Canada surveys every few years, but actual officers would be better placed to give you the good and the bad.

In summary, from my last survey in the cover story of December 2017, 75% of all agencies in Canada issue the Glock pistol, and 80% of all agencies in Canada use the 9mm Luger cartridge.

Contrast that with 2003, when Glock had 34% of the market; Sig 24%; Beretta 24% and S&W 15%. In 2003, it was an even split between .40 S&W and 9mm Luger.

In short, Beretta has virtually disappeared from the market in North America; only issued to one agency in Canada. Market share of Sig has dropped and Glock is now issued by the majority of agencies across North America. Market share of S&W has dropped significantly in Canada but the new M&P is issued to quite a few agencies in the U.S.

The .40 S&W cartridge has fallen out of favour immensely. With the new bullet designs for law enforcement, downrange and terminal ballistics are almost as good, and the .40 is very very hard on firearms.

Solutions
Rookie Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:08 pm
Contact:

Re: What sidearms are used in your Police Service

Postby Solutions » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:45 pm

Thanks Dave, I see you are Admin for this post, how do I delete this post then? You and I worked together about 25 years ago running the Thunderbird challenge! Long time ago!

User avatar
Dave Brown
Site Admin
Posts: 1787
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2000 1:01 am
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

Re: What sidearms are used in your Police Service

Postby Dave Brown » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:53 pm

Wow, that was a long time ago. I still remember those days, and I did an article on the Thunderbird Challenge in Blue Line, using a bit of a humorous nod to the age-old debate as to whether Military Police were Capital M, small p, or vice versa. I called it, "Capital M; Capital P." I have always had a lifelong admiration for the work of the Military Police around the world.

I will leave the thread active in here and see what responses we get. I try to stay pretty close to what everyone is using, and why. I know that after that 2018 survey, even more agencies switched to 9mm from .40, and several more have plans to do so in the future. In my opinion, the .40 was a great cartridge for its time, but the 9mm has several advantages over the .40 that outweighs its slightly better terminal performance. Here in Winnipeg, they are one of the last agencies to still hang on to the .40, and I don't know for how long. (I have an interesting story I can share with you privately some day as to why even a few WPS members are not a fan of the .40.)

Plus, if you remember from the Thunderbird Challenge days, I was all about shot placement. Shot placement and shot penetration (to FBI minimum specs) is what has a better chance of stopping a deadly threat.

User avatar
Pete Broccolo
Moderator
Posts: 552
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2001 1:01 am
Location: Weyburn SK Canada
Contact:

Re: What sidearms are used in your Police Service

Postby Pete Broccolo » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:43 am

"Guns"? You mean, "elbow-rests", yes?
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad (*), Father-In-Law (*), & Grampa (*+2)

User avatar
Wingman19
Veteran Member
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:15 am
Contact:

Re: What sidearms are used in your Police Service

Postby Wingman19 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:47 pm

Pete Broccolo wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:43 am
"Guns"? You mean, "elbow-rests", yes?
Hey Pete, Does the RCMP allow you to change your service weapon? From a S/W to a Glock 17?

Thanks.
RCMP ON APP Dec 4 2019

SP: Dec16 2019
QA: Dec 23 2019
PBQ: Feb 10/20
Suit: Feb 26/20
RMAQ: April/20
RFI April/20
Field Investigation: June/20
PEP invite: Sept/20
PEP rec: Sept/20
Med/Psy: :swords:
Municipal apps: On-Going

User avatar
Pete Broccolo
Moderator
Posts: 552
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2001 1:01 am
Location: Weyburn SK Canada
Contact:

Re: What sidearms are used in your Police Service

Postby Pete Broccolo » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:28 pm

Wingman19 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:47 pm
Pete Broccolo wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:43 am
"Guns"? You mean, "elbow-rests", yes?
Hey Pete, Does the RCMP allow you to change your service weapon? From a S/W to a Glock 17?

Thanks.
No change allowed at all.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad (*), Father-In-Law (*), & Grampa (*+2)

User avatar
Wingman19
Veteran Member
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:15 am
Contact:

Re: What sidearms are used in your Police Service

Postby Wingman19 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:22 pm

Pete Broccolo wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:28 pm
Wingman19 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:47 pm
Pete Broccolo wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:43 am
"Guns"? You mean, "elbow-rests", yes?
Hey Pete, Does the RCMP allow you to change your service weapon? From a S/W to a Glock 17?

Thanks.
No change allowed at all.
*cries in Austrian*
RCMP ON APP Dec 4 2019

SP: Dec16 2019
QA: Dec 23 2019
PBQ: Feb 10/20
Suit: Feb 26/20
RMAQ: April/20
RFI April/20
Field Investigation: June/20
PEP invite: Sept/20
PEP rec: Sept/20
Med/Psy: :swords:
Municipal apps: On-Going

DanyD92
Regular Member
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:57 pm
Contact:

Re: What sidearms are used in your Police Service

Postby DanyD92 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:58 pm

I've always wonder and if some active or retired LEO's could chime in. If we lived in a perfect world and let's say you were to be able to choose your side arm ( department policy aside) and the only thing you had to keep in policy with was the caliber ( let's say 9mm), what pistol would you choose and why?

Personally I own Sig, Glock and Smith and Wesson hand guns. Out of all of those the one that has fit like a glove in my hands has been the CZ shadow 1, never really cared for the 2. Personally I dislike Glocks with a passion. And currently run a Smith and Wesson 2.0 to train with. Tho I've been tinkering with the idea of running my p320 for the latter half of the year.
BC
App:23/9/18
RPAB:28/11/18
SP:20/12/18
RMAQ Rec:16/07/19
RFI: 25/07/19
BGI:6/08/19
PEP:15/09/19
PEP Rec:01/10/19
Med/Psych:03/10/19
Psych int:16/10/19
Med Clearance: 16/01/20
SC: 28/07/20
Troop: Troop 8 January 25th,-July 26th 2021

User avatar
Pete Broccolo
Moderator
Posts: 552
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2001 1:01 am
Location: Weyburn SK Canada
Contact:

Re: What sidearms are used in your Police Service

Postby Pete Broccolo » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:53 pm

DanyD92 wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:58 pm
I've always wonder and if some active or retired LEO's could chime in. If we lived in a perfect world and let's say you were to be able to choose your side arm ( department policy aside) and the only thing you had to keep in policy with was the caliber ( let's say 9mm), what pistol would you choose and why?

Personally I own Sig, Glock and Smith and Wesson hand guns. Out of all of those the one that has fit like a glove in my hands has been the CZ shadow 1, never really cared for the 2. Personally I dislike Glocks with a passion. And currently run a Smith and Wesson 2.0 to train with. Tho I've been tinkering with the idea of running my p320 for the latter half of the year.
I never had any experience with firearms of any type before joining, had no interest in recreational shooting / collecting during my career, had my revolver or pistol or shotgun or rifle on-target of a human MAYBE 12 times and NEVER had to discharge it, have not bothered getting into shooting during retirement, and only took the PAL course in case I needed it for my retail warehouse work which I quit just over a year ago.

I did go out and buy my own rubber grips and 3 extra speedloaders for my original revolver, all of which I gave away when we transitioned.

Whatever weapon the Force issued me, however often the Force wanted me to practice and qualify, and almost however much ammo the Force issued me or I could "creatively acquire", was good enough for me.

Lots of members are "big into guns", and that's great; its certainly the best way to become a Basic Firearms Instructor for annual qualification shoots or to get posted back to the Academy to be a Cadet Instructor.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad (*), Father-In-Law (*), & Grampa (*+2)

DanyD92
Regular Member
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:57 pm
Contact:

Re: What sidearms are used in your Police Service

Postby DanyD92 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:17 am

Pete Broccolo wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:53 pm
DanyD92 wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:58 pm
I've always wonder and if some active or retired LEO's could chime in. If we lived in a perfect world and let's say you were to be able to choose your side arm ( department policy aside) and the only thing you had to keep in policy with was the caliber ( let's say 9mm), what pistol would you choose and why?

Personally I own Sig, Glock and Smith and Wesson hand guns. Out of all of those the one that has fit like a glove in my hands has been the CZ shadow 1, never really cared for the 2. Personally I dislike Glocks with a passion. And currently run a Smith and Wesson 2.0 to train with. Tho I've been tinkering with the idea of running my p320 for the latter half of the year.
I never had any experience with firearms of any type before joining, had no interest in recreational shooting / collecting during my career, had my revolver or pistol or shotgun or rifle on-target of a human MAYBE 12 times and NEVER had to discharge it, have not bothered getting into shooting during retirement, and only took the PAL course in case I needed it for my retail warehouse work which I quit just over a year ago.

I did go out and buy my own rubber grips and 3 extra speedloaders for my original revolver, all of which I gave away when we transitioned.

Whatever weapon the Force issued me, however often the Force wanted me to practice and qualify, and almost however much ammo the Force issued me or I could "creatively acquire", was good enough for me.

Lots of members are "big into guns", and that's great; its certainly the best way to become a Basic Firearms Instructor for annual qualification shoots or to get posted back to the Academy to be a Cadet Instructor.
For work I currently carry the old RCMP revolver in 38.special with speed loaders.

Just out of curiosity after how much time in GD does one get that opportunity to go after something along the lines of a firearms instructor in the RCMP. Firearms are a passion of mine and I shoot regularly.
BC
App:23/9/18
RPAB:28/11/18
SP:20/12/18
RMAQ Rec:16/07/19
RFI: 25/07/19
BGI:6/08/19
PEP:15/09/19
PEP Rec:01/10/19
Med/Psych:03/10/19
Psych int:16/10/19
Med Clearance: 16/01/20
SC: 28/07/20
Troop: Troop 8 January 25th,-July 26th 2021

User avatar
Pete Broccolo
Moderator
Posts: 552
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2001 1:01 am
Location: Weyburn SK Canada
Contact:

Re: What sidearms are used in your Police Service

Postby Pete Broccolo » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:00 am

DanyD92 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:17 am
...
For work I currently carry the old RCMP revolver in 38.special with speed loaders.

Just out of curiosity after how much time in GD does one get that opportunity to go after something along the lines of a firearms instructor in the RCMP. Firearms are a passion of mine and I shoot regularly.
You GENERALLY have to wait until you deemed promotable, currently after you have written and passed your Cst-to-Cpl promotion exam, but who knows.
However, you are getting WAY ahead of yourself, so get accepted to Depot, successfully pass training, accept your first and subsequent transfers, and see what happens.
There have been too many suck-ups over the years as it was.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad (*), Father-In-Law (*), & Grampa (*+2)

User avatar
Rareform
Seasoned Member
Posts: 424
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:50 pm
Contact:

Re: What sidearms are used in your Police Service

Postby Rareform » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:17 pm

DanyD92 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:17 am
For work I currently carry the old RCMP revolver in 38.special with speed loaders.
GardaWorld? I know GardaWorld issues semi-auto pistols in some provinces and not others. Been a slow transition...
Special Constable
“Always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself.”

DanyD92
Regular Member
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:57 pm
Contact:

Re: What sidearms are used in your Police Service

Postby DanyD92 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:58 pm

Rareform wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:17 pm
DanyD92 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:17 am
For work I currently carry the old RCMP revolver in 38.special with speed loaders.
GardaWorld? I know GardaWorld issues semi-auto pistols in some provinces and not others. Been a slow transition...
Yup, we finally switched to Glock 17 gen 5s.
BC
App:23/9/18
RPAB:28/11/18
SP:20/12/18
RMAQ Rec:16/07/19
RFI: 25/07/19
BGI:6/08/19
PEP:15/09/19
PEP Rec:01/10/19
Med/Psych:03/10/19
Psych int:16/10/19
Med Clearance: 16/01/20
SC: 28/07/20
Troop: Troop 8 January 25th,-July 26th 2021


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest