AR15 petition

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.
Bitterman
Rookie Member

Re: AR15 petition

Postby Bitterman » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:57 pm

Z42A wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:59 am
where is the law that says you must be a member of a range to register your restricted firearms

There isn't one.

Some CFO's feel it's their job to stonewall firearms owners and make up policies.
I suppose a requirement such as this stems from the unfortunate fact that according to the law, yes... Restricted firearms can only be discharged on/at an "approved" range, therefore in order to be able to discharge your restricted firearm you need access to an approved range/club. An additional assumption being that you'd need to be a member of a club to have access.
You don't.

It's been my experience that if you call them on their BS they back down and "make an exception" to their policy.

The FA does give CFO's broad leeway to interpret the act and come up with "reasonable" policies, but... Insisting individuals prove they have access/membership to an approved range is BS.
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

Z42A
Rookie Member

Postby Z42A » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:54 pm

That's what I thought, as I can find nothing in legislation saying you must be a member somewhere.
Now for part two of my question....
Where in law does it stipulate that you may only discharge a restricted firearm at a range? I contacted both the CFO and RCMP, and the laws they directed me to addressed transportation, but not firing.
This mostly stems from a conversation with some friends who maintain the position that there is no law against firing their restricted firearms on their own private property (ie plinking gophers with a .22lr pistol, for example).

Anyone know which law addresses firing of restricted firearms outside of an approved range?

People comment "if you paid attention on your firearms course you'd know this" but can never supply the information themselves (I challenged the tests when it was the FAC, and have never allowed the license to expire, so No, I never actually took the PAL/RPAL course)
Matt Chinn, CD
Sergeant Major, Prairie Region Guard of Honour
Staff Training Officer (CX3)
CSC National Satellite Training Academy
Correctional Service of Canada | Government of Canada
matthew.chinn@csc-scc.gc.ca

Virtus autem per scientiam.

Shea
Rookie Member

Postby Shea » Wed May 06, 2020 12:19 pm

Hello fellow criminals.. Wonder if we all can share the same prison range together since our duck guns are over 20MM

DanyD92

Postby DanyD92 » Thu May 07, 2020 8:25 pm

Shea wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 12:19 pm
Hello fellow criminals.. Wonder if we all can share the same prison range together since our duck guns are over 20MM
I call dibs on top bunk.
BC
App:23/9/18
RPAB:28/11/18
SP:20/12/18
QA review:15/01/19
RMAQ Rec:16/07/19
RFI: 25/07/19
Field invest:6/08/19
PEP:15/09/19
PEP Rec:01/10/19
Med:03/10/19
Psych:16/10/19
Med Clearance: 16/01/20
SC: 28/07/20
Troop: Troop 8

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Tue May 12, 2020 11:15 am

Shea wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 12:19 pm

But... Drunk Bill tweeted we're okay... 'Just a misunderstanding.

Of course we'll have to wait and see if a judge understands what "meant" by what's written in that dogs breakfast of an OIC...
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

DanyD92

Postby DanyD92 » Sun May 24, 2020 2:22 am

For those interested a very good read : https://www.blueline.ca/implications-of ... e-gun-ban/
BC
App:23/9/18
RPAB:28/11/18
SP:20/12/18
QA review:15/01/19
RMAQ Rec:16/07/19
RFI: 25/07/19
Field invest:6/08/19
PEP:15/09/19
PEP Rec:01/10/19
Med:03/10/19
Psych:16/10/19
Med Clearance: 16/01/20
SC: 28/07/20
Troop: Troop 8

smitty
Veteran Member

Postby smitty » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:12 pm

Z42A wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:54 pm
That's what I thought, as I can find nothing in legislation saying you must be a member somewhere.
Where in law does it stipulate that you may only discharge a restricted firearm at a range? I contacted both the CFO and RCMP, and the laws they directed me to addressed transportation, but not firing.
This mostly stems from a conversation with some friends who maintain the position that there is no law against firing their restricted firearms on their own private property (ie plinking gophers with a .22lr pistol, for example).

Anyone know which law addresses firing of restricted firearms outside of an approved range?

People comment "if you paid attention on your firearms course you'd know this" but can never supply the information themselves (I challenged the tests when it was the FAC, and have never allowed the license to expire, so No, I never actually took the PAL/RPAL course)
This is a good read and answers the question http://plourdelaw.ca/where-can-firearms ... n-ontario/

This is a lawyers opinion only and he prefaces by saying that his interpretations have not been tested in court. Essentially what it comes down to is if your property is used for shooting on a “regular and structured” basis. If it meets that definition then it would be a shooting range which must be registered, but there isn’t anything actually prohibiting the discharge of your restricted firearm on your own property where your dwelling is located.

As far as discharging a restricted firearm elsewhere, on crown land let’s say, I believe it would be de facto prohibited on the basis that you can only transport a restricted firearm in prescribed circumstances. Such as to or from a licenced range, gunsmith etc. I don’t see anywhere where it is explicitly prohibited. This is just my interpretation and if someone knows more please feel free to expand.

Hattie
Veteran Member
Location: Here. Sometimes over there. Or other times over by that tree...

Postby Hattie » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:04 am

Z42A wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:54 pm

If you are discharging your restricted or prohibited firearm on your property, then you are violating the possession/transportation provisions of the FA. Yes, this is nit-picking but I direct you to Section 17 of the Firearms Act. It states, absent an authorization to carry or transport, you may only possess a restricted or prohibited firearm at your dwelling house.

From there, go back to the definition of a dwelling house. Unless you are shooting from within your dwelling house, you need an authorization to carry or transport; or use a non-restricted/prohibited firearm.

Now find a member who would charge you and a jury that would convict you. :) Bonus points if you can articulate a tent as a temporary, mobile, dwelling where you also can legally possess your guns...
Humour and sarcasm are my default options. Except on Tuesdays.