Arming Peace Officers

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer, Dave Brown

Sk82
Sage Member

Re: Arming Peace Officers

Postby Sk82 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:25 am

I can almost see the same thing happening to Alberta CPO's that happened to Sask Highway Patrol when they tried to get side arms. They asked for sidearms because of the danger of stopping private vehicles, the Government turned around then told them to stop pulling over private vehicles :crazy:

Although it is of my own personal opinion that any LEO conducting any type of traffic stop should have a side arm, I don't see this happening in my lifetime.
Police Constable

Flagstaff
Seasoned Member

Postby Flagstaff » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:43 pm

The Sol Gen's Office made it very clear that there were six things that they would not be looking at during this review and sidearms was one of them. So nothing is going to happen.

RJB
Poobah Overlord

Postby RJB » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:09 pm

CourtOfficer wrote:I think RJB typed a few comments at the bottom of the articles! :mrgreen:

CO
haha.. I didn't. But those dozens of concerned citizens share my opinion on it. Just say no to prop 423!

Tactical
Sage Member

Postby Tactical » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:19 pm

Flagstaff wrote:The Sol Gen's Office made it very clear that there were six things that they would not be looking at during this review and sidearms was one of them. So nothing is going to happen.
What were those six things that they weren't going to be looking at?

Flagstaff
Seasoned Member

Postby Flagstaff » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:31 am

Tactical wrote:
Flagstaff wrote:The Sol Gen's Office made it very clear that there were six things that they would not be looking at during this review and sidearms was one of them. So nothing is going to happen.
They are not going to be changing any of the current rules requiring any of the following things. Sidearms, unmarked vehicles, impaired driving, criminal code, 1 & 2 digit highways and file review requirements.

HTP
Seasoned Member

Postby HTP » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:38 pm

One of my partners said he was reading about one alberta community that was trying to arm their peace officers. Anybody hear that?
POLICE OFFICERS: Because firefighters need heros

Flagstaff
Seasoned Member

Postby Flagstaff » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:21 pm

HTP wrote:One of my partners said he was reading about one alberta community that was trying to arm their peace officers. Anybody hear that?
Go back and look on page 3.

FedCO
Poobah Overlord

Postby FedCO » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:39 pm

Bald Man wrote:Got to love our laws that would rather see the good guys handcuffed. CO's should have full police powers for everything. In the states, a peace officer whether police, corrections, conservation etc...all have the same powers. Should be that way here for us.
I 110% agree!

ygu31

Postby ygu31 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:03 pm

As of Jan, 2018, New Jersey state correctional officers were all granted police officer status and authority, they also had their new job title as CORRECTIONAL POLICE OFFICER, which meant they could lay criminal charges to inmates right on site, and if there was an serious incident, CO can also conduct the crime scene investigation without waiting for police to be on scene for investigation, I am hoping this could be the future trends in Canada.
MB Correctional Officer 2014-2018
Ontario Correctional Officer 2018-present

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:49 pm

ygu31 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:03 pm
As of Jan, 2018, New Jersey state correctional officers were all granted police officer status and authority, they also had their new job title as CORRECTIONAL POLICE OFFICER, which meant they could lay criminal charges to inmates right on site, and if there was an serious incident, CO can also conduct the crime scene investigation without waiting for police to be on scene for investigation, I am hoping this could be the future trends in Canada.
Why? There are few enough of them, if feces hit the air circulator they would be authorized to do what they need to do, and all they have to do is hold the scene and not say or do anything to screw up the file.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
MPPAC & NPF supporter
Husband, Dad, F-I-L, & Grampa

Hattie
Seasoned Member
Location: Here. Sometimes over there. Or other times over by that tree...

Postby Hattie » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:18 am

Flagstaff wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:31 am
Tactical wrote:
They are not going to be changing any of the current rules requiring any of the following things. Sidearms, unmarked vehicles, impaired driving, criminal code, 1 & 2 digit highways and file review requirements.
Funny how some of that has changed for APO's. No changes for CPO's though, just government peace officers...
Humour and sarcasm are my default options. Except on Tuesdays.