AR15 petition

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.
Tony-Boogie
Rookie Member

Re: AR15 petition

Postby Tony-Boogie » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:00 am

Striker wrote:
Grassynarrows wrote:We need to challenge this variant garbage

yes we do..but with the gov't giving total control to the "firearms experts" in the RCMP..it will be a never ending fight.

What we need is the "common sense panel" to review any decisions made by these so called "firearms experts". Just for fun the panel could be comprised of three LE, three military, three conservation officers, and one criminal. Ten people that are gun owners, or at least a variant of a gun owner.
He said I was a POG, I said he's resisting arrest...

HiPowered
Veteran Member

Postby HiPowered » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:21 pm

Tony-Boogie wrote:
Striker wrote:
Grassynarrows wrote:We need to challenge this variant garbage

yes we do..but with the gov't giving total control to the "firearms experts" in the RCMP..it will be a never ending fight.

What we need is the "common sense panel" to review any decisions made by these so called "firearms experts". Just for fun the panel could be comprised of three LE, three military, three conservation officers, and one criminal. Ten people that are gun owners, or at least a variant of a gun owner.

I'd leave the military out of it. They know their issued firearms well, but not much else on the outside. They aren't the firearms experts that people think they are.

RGW
Grand Poobah

Postby RGW » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:32 am

Bump. Petition closes soon.

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Wed May 04, 2016 9:07 pm

Sounds like there is a war brewing in Manitoba between some of the ranges and the Cfo
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

Chillykb19
Rookie Member

Postby Chillykb19 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:11 pm

Changed my mind....
Last edited by Chillykb19 on Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
App 07-15-2017
Test 10-08-2017
Int 11-22-2017
Test res 01-03-2018
Pre-empl docs 01-29-2018
Start CTP 02-20-2018
Psych Eval 02-27-2018
Fngr and Med Req 03-02-2018
Sec quest 03-05-2018
CTP1 03-12-2018
Offer 06-27-2018
Grad CTP Kingston Nov, 2018

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:55 am

Chillykb19 wrote:It looks like I am well in the minority with this post but I don't want those weapons in the hands of anyone who is not in uniform. civilians don't need AR-15s. They don't need them at all. Fire away folks but putting firepower like that in to the hands of the general population is pointless. Those are not toys. This is Canada. Guns are not a right.

Well.... if the population at large doesn't have firearms then the cops don't "need" them either.

Most of the hate fir the AR stems out of pure ignorance.
There are far more devistating/powerful guns readily available at SAIL or some Canadian a tire stores.

As far as rights go you are correct... no rights. Not for guns or any other property
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:36 pm

Chillykb19 wrote:It looks like I am well in the minority with this post but I don't want those weapons in the hands of anyone who is not in uniform. civilians don't need AR-15s. They don't need them at all. Fire away folks but putting firepower like that in to the hands of the general population is pointless. Those are not toys. This is Canada. Guns are not a right.

I am saddened that a police applicant like yourself is so influenced by U.S. media that you already have your mind made up, and is so ignorant on the laws of Canada.

I am left with nothing except to seriously question your education, or why you would form an opinion and post it here before learning a single fact about what you are talking about.

Please explain how a .22-calibre target rifle with a five-round magazine that is not legal or even effective for big game hunting in Canada, is more "firepower" than the average hunting rifle such as the .308 Winchester, .30-06 Springfield, 7mm Remington Magnum, etc., at two to ten times more powerful.

Please explain how the AR rifles are "in the hands of the general population." You DO realize that to own an AR rifle, one must be a member of a gun club; hold a Possession and Acquisition Licence for restricted firearms; take TWO safety courses; pass TWO sets of written and practical tests; provide gun club membership cards, references, photos, spousal notifications, and answers to questions on background, history and mental stability every time they renew their licence. The only place one can fire their AR rifle is at an approved shooting range. One can only transport their AR with a valid Authorization to Transport, for the purposes stated on the certificate. Standards for transportation, storage, display and handling of restricted firearms such as the AR are much higher than for non-restricted firearms.

And you want to take away people's target rifles even though they have followed all these laws and done nothing wrong. Wow.

Rifles are not a "right." My boat is not a "right." My waterskies are not a "right." My camping gear is not a "right." My golf clubs are not a "right." My truck is not a "right." My radio control airplanes are not a "right." I don't "need" any of the above. But I get to ENJOY all the above because I have used them safely and responsibly, and will continue to do so.

But you want to take away someone's target rifles even though they have handled them safely and responsibly. Wow.

You DO realize that out of all the police shooting in Canada where officers have died in the past 30 years, NOT ONE SINGLE SHOOTING was committed with an AR rifle.

You ARE aware that of all the terrorist incidents in Canada like Parliament Hill, and all the school shootings that have happened in Canada in the past 30 years, NOT ONE SINGLE SHOOTING was committed with an AR rifle.

And you want to ban the AR. Wow. Just wow.

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:43 am

After the Florida shooting a good friend posted an article on FB and there's was quite the discussion on ARs. One of their friends tried attacking my stance on how people and societal views are the issue, not the means (IE the guns). He said, "Then why does it have assault rifle right in its name?" My response, "Actually it stands for ArmaLite Rifle, the name of the company that manufactures it."

Dead silence........ :smirk:
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

Boxer Dogs
Rookie Member

Postby Boxer Dogs » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:59 am

devilwoman wrote:

After the Florida shooting a good friend posted an article on FB and there's was quite the discussion on ARs. One of their friends tried attacking my stance on how people and societal views are the issue, not the means (IE the guns). He said, "Then why does it have assault rifle right in its name?" My response, "Actually it stands for ArmaLite Rifle, the name of the company that manufactures it."

Dead silence........ :smirk:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
My opinions are my own and do not reflect my agency.

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:38 pm

devilwoman wrote:
... it stands for ArmaLite Rifle, the name of the company that manufactures it."

...a Division of Fairchild Engine and Airplane Corporation ;-)

In truth "Armalite" is long gone, but the company was, with Eugene Stoner primarily behind the design.
These days there are dozens of manufacturers producing AR pattern products.
One of the largest is right here in Canada. (Colt Canada in Kitchener)
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:25 pm

I can't think of any Canadian news articles where a legal gun owner has shot someone.

Criminals and gangs on the other hand...
Every few days, in my city alone, there's headlines about shootings.
But I haven't heard of a single new headline for gang shooting which involved AR's.

A petition for stronger gun control -or- to ban certain models of firearms won't affect gang crime.
Criminals don't buy firearms legally, they don't follow laws, and they certainly wouldn't respect a gun ban.

It seems the non firearm owning general public is extremely misinformed about AR's.
I had a conversation with someone who thought Police shouldn't be allowed to use an AR against a suspect with a handgun because "it'd be unfair as rifles are larger/stronger than handguns".
These are the ignorant people who are likely applauding a petition. They fear the name and negative connotations which the media is pushing.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

Bairdo
Grand Poobah

Postby Bairdo » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:47 pm

mack_silent wrote:I can't think of any Canadian news articles where a legal gun owner has shot someone.

You must not follow Canadian news much then.