GPS for ATV Trails

Discussion about computer hardware, software, or any other tech equipment, including innovations and ideas.
GoodWitness
Rookie Member

GPS for ATV Trails

Postby GoodWitness » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:47 pm

Picked up a shiny new Can Am on the weekend, I hope I get to use it before spring. Just getting into the ATV thing and was wondering if anyone has experience with using a GPS for trail use. There's a huge range of prices and no one I know has used one, thought I'd ask here.

PolarisLTZ
Rookie Member

Re: GPS for ATV Trails

Postby PolarisLTZ » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:32 pm

Hey man, I never really had any experience with one; other than the stock unit that ships on the honda's. They seem pointless to me but I ride mostly through the Calabogie area and it would be pretty hard to get lost. Most public trails are pretty well marked anyway. Have fun with your cand-ham though.... 8) ..... what size?
Last edited by PolarisLTZ on Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:56 pm

Nothing too fancy, an Outlander L Max 450, no bells or whistles. This is it, actually:

First bike, no need for more power than that, I don't think it will see much use with a passenger. I doubt I'd ever need a GPS, I will likely stay on well-travelled trails, but if a deal was to be found I might think about it.

I'm in the GTA so it'll get trailered up to cottage country most of the time, Lake of Bays area or Haliburton. I will have to check out the closest trails to the west GTA area, they're run by the Great Lakes ATV Club past Brantford, so around an hour away.

warden602
Grand Poobah

Postby warden602 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:12 pm

Garmin E-trek with a RAM handlebar mount is all you need for a GPS.

Stinger
Poobah Overlord

Postby Stinger » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:43 am

Garmin Rhino's are great GPS units. I use one when we go quadding. I live in the bush so we quad all the time. I don't see a winch on your bike

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:48 pm

The bike has a total of 25 minutes run time right now, 0 km. at the moment the winch is sitting in a box in my garage. Picked it up with the bike on Saturday, and haven't even looked at it yet. Can Am Terra 35, doesn't look like it will be too hard to install, famous last words.